Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 24, 2016

This game melds elements from all previous Souls games and concludes the Dark Souls trilogy.

Anyone else find this part to be getting old? (possible spoilers)

crunksmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I have been loving DS3, but one thing had begun to bug me. There are far too many mimics in this game. I feel like 4 out of 5 chests are mimics. It is a hilarious and frustrating experience the first few times a mimic gets you. Now I just find them tedious.

I find myself throwing an Undead Hunter's charm at every goddamn chest, and I am never surprised by mimicry.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have definitely noticed a lot of the chests are mimics in this game as well. The way I tell them apart is by the chain on the side. If the chain is facing towards the front of the chest, it's a mimic, and if it's facing towards the back, it's a normal chest.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They do kinda ruin the whole point of the mimic, which is to make them rare enough to make you forget to check each time.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree on the frequency being silly but I learned from other souls games to hit every chest one time.

Besides, they're pretty easy to kill so eh.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I always hit every chest before opening it, so I wasn't really super bothered.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

There's a really funny mimic after you beat the dragon boss. It's not actually a mimic, but there's a "bloodstain" right in front of it that shows someone running through an invisible wall. I agree that there's too many mimics in the game, but it made that particular chest really amusing to me.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I would've liked them to add more of those crazy mimic ideas I saw some fan make like this Bonfire Mimic.

No Caption Provided

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's kind of the point. If you're not attacking every chest by now, you're doing it wrong. You can only get away with, "Surprise, this chest wants to eat you!" so many times.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's kind of the point. If you're not attacking every chest by now, you're doing it wrong. You can only get away with, "Surprise, this chest wants to eat you!" so many times.

So the solution is to do it way more often?

crunksmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baronsamedi: I completely agree with alternate mimics. I was once in a game of D&D where we fought a door mimic. Turns out it is easy to fight a mimic stuck in a door frame if you run around to its other side.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Bonfire mimic was ever going to work it would have been in this one since some of the bonfire locations are oddly close together for some reason.

The only fan mimic idea I've seen that i liked though was ladder mimic because that would be really funny, a key component to a successful mimic.

The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By The_Joker

also fun fact about the Mimics, they breathe. I'm serious. Watch them.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunksmcgee:Hah, yea I don't play D&D but I hear some good stories about how people workout problems and whatnot.

@efesell: Yea the ladder mimic is great too. It's the same guy who did a whole bunch of mimics, some not so great. I just like the bonfire one because of how cruel it is.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Turambar

@efesell said:
    @hunkulese said:

So the solution is to do it way more often?

We've had a game that did it rarely, and another that didn't do it at all. So yes, probably time to have one that does it way more often.

One thing that I'm disappointed in is how weak they are in this game. Throw a Lloyd's Talisman at one and put it to sleep, and you can keep hitting it until you run out of stamina. It will "wake up", but won't actually attack. By then, it'll already be down to half health.

I'd also like to see more mimics on all fours as opposed to the bipedal ones. There was only one this game. Maybe some mimics without legs at all that just hop every where, but have extra long arms?

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just look at the chain on the right of the box. If it's shaped like a question mark, it's a Mimic. Been that way since the first Dark Souls.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I'd love if there was an NPC questline that revealed the NPC was a MIMIC THE WHOLE TIME!?!

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Never had a problem learning which ones were mimics after the chain thing since what, the first Dark? But there's just so many in this game its silly and dumb.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@yummylee: Isn't that just the myriad NPCs that play nice with you in town and then tries to kill you? T.T

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:

They do kinda ruin the whole point of the mimic, which is to make them rare enough to make you forget to check each time.

Pretty much how I felt about it. There should be a string of regular chests long enough that checking for a mimic feels like a waste of time, then a mimic chest or two. As it is now in Dark Souls 3 they're so frequent that they lose all element of surprise and without that they're just a stupidly easy to defeat enemy.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I admit I got fooled once with the one in High Wall because I thought "There's no way they would put one in the first fucking area of the game."

Turns out they would do that.

There's a reason that my message in front of that bastard is my highest rated one.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@turambar said:

I'd also like to see more mimics on all fours as opposed to the bipedal ones. There was only one this game.

There was more than one.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@yummylee said:

I'd love if there was an NPC questline that revealed the NPC was a MIMIC THE WHOLE TIME!?!

Mimic Firekeeper, Mimic Loading Screen, Mimic Subtitles.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I attacked every chest in Dark Souls 2 before I opened it anyway. Why wouldn't you?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@theht said:
    @yummylee said:

Mimic Firekeeper, Mimic Loading Screen, Mimic Subtitles.

Mimic loading screens?? That's some next level Eternal Darkness crazy right there.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I agree on the frequency being silly but I learned from other souls games to hit every chest one time.

Besides, they're pretty easy to kill so eh.

Hitting non-mimic wooden chests in Dark Souls II destroyed what was inside. So yeah it's super stupid how they keep going down that line of subversion because it's just old now.

TOA_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mormonwarrior: That's not true...you could hit the wooden chests once without destroying them.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There weren't any in Bloodborne so they had to make up for it in this game!

No, it's really stupid.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hit every chest I opened in Dark Souls 2 and didn't have a problem either. Don't mimic check with a power-attack perhaps?

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever since that first mimic chest got me in Sens fortress I hit every single chest, a bonfire mimic would have been hilarious

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ghost_cat

It's the last game, so fuck it, throw all of the mimics in there!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

As everyone has said, punch all chests. I don't think you can destroy them in this game, so it doesn't matter.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
    dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the last game, so fuck it, throw all of the mimics in there!

Mimic Souls coming soon

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You don't need to attack chests, as you might break them and cause the item to turn into rubbish. As said above, a real chest has a chain that loops backwards. A mimic has a chain that has a goofy looking loop forward. They also breath, if you look real close you can see the lid open and see teeth.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A chest will never break from the one hit it requires to reveal a mimic. It's fine.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the fuck are you people breaking these chests? If the chain indicator is somehow unmanageable, surely the notion of hitting the chest once is simple enough.

Yes, they are definitely too common, and here is why. My guess is that they had all these leftover mimics from previous games and felt they had to do something with them.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I didn't have a problem with mimics - mainly cos there are only like 1-2 per area and they're more fun to fight than most mobs. Except the fucking dungeon area. Fuck that place. A million mimics and every hideous / grotesque / lame enemy in the game in one area.

It may be me, but I only found one dog-type mimic too. If anything, they could have at least added more styles of mimics (like the dog one vs the normal standing one).

But yeah, +1 to "attack every chest". If you're a bow-user like me, you can get a good couple of shots in too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.