Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Crysis

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 13, 2007

As Nomad, an elite soldier outfitted in a state-of-the-art Nanosuit that gives him superhuman abilities, infiltrate a North Korean-held island to rescue captured scientists... and face a reawakening ancient evil that threatens the entire world. Crysis is well known for its high system requirements and top of the line graphics.

Big Leafs, Round Assets

yoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By yoob

So with the recent ability to use Zbrush, I have went towards creating custom assets for the map, a thing I thought I would do last, but seeing as I'm working on this just for my enjoyment, I'm willing to go wherever my creativity takes me at the time. 

So thinks have been moving a bit slower. 

Made a basic leaf decal to simulate leaves floating on water and on other surfaces. 

The thing I was focused mostly on was the idea that I wanted to add a bunch of unconnected, old, damaged watchtowers around the level, to give it a bit more of that medieval vibe. And since Crysis doesn't contain any medieval shit at all, I am basically going to have to make everything about them by myself, starting completely from scratch.  

First off, I needed a specific texture, so I had to create the thing myself. Hardest part, of course, was sculpting it in zbrush to get good-looking nrmal maps but I think the end result looks good enough. Here it is plastered on a teapot, tiled way more frequently than I intend the towers to be.

Then it was time to make the first part of my assets, the completely ruined version of the tower. I fiddled with it endlessly, this is just one of the stages along the fiddling. Even though it looks much better now there are some apparent seams, but I'm not gonna worry too much about those, I intend to cover them up with decals and detail meshes. Also this is the intended tiling. Kinda stretchy, but I want the tower mesh to look the best at a mid-long range. I'll have some detail like rubble and clutter to take care of the up-close experience.

To mask the tiling seams and give the towers more detail at close range, I intend to use decals of cracked walls. To list the images, from top to bottom first up is the diffuse texture with the alpha channel masked in red. I actually modified it later to make it more fuzzy, works much better now. In the middle is the nearly-final version of the Zbrush sculpt, and on the bottom is the decal as seen in game. It uses a bit of POM for the self-shading, and works surprisingly well on surfaces that I didn't even intend it for.

So as you can see, progress has been slow, but I'm getting there. I've already thought up a list of the assets I'm gonna need to fulfill my ideas. Probably gonna bundle it together and release it on crymod or somewhere before the level is finished. Here it is: 

• 4 large setpieces: a fully destroyed tower, a partially destroyed tower with one floor intact, a partially renovated tower without the roof and two floors intact, and a fully repaired tower with 3 floors and the roof intact.
    • 6 decals: 3 decals of cracks and holes for the stone wall at the bottom. 2 decals of renovated white bricks for the brick wall at the top. 1 decal of generic rubble to put on the ground next to rubble meshes.
    • 8 small setpieces: 4 single pieces of each building material, meaning 4 single stone blocks, and 4 single bricks, to use as detail meshes.
    • 6 medium setpieces: 3 rubble pieces of broken/ruined walls for each building material, to use as detail geometry lying around the tower.
    • vegetation: I'm unsure how am I going to make vegetation yet. The walls certainly could use some moss, and I will most likely use decals for those, but I will also probably use cryteks foliage here and there.
    • textures: all of the above will have two texture sets, regular, and burned, which will have desaturated colors and some charring

After I'm done with the assets I'm just gonna arrange them in several prefab groups and place them around the level. 
    So, as you can see, I have planned a significant amount of work for myself, and it should keep me busy for the next few weeks.
    yoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By yoob

So with the recent ability to use Zbrush, I have went towards creating custom assets for the map, a thing I thought I would do last, but seeing as I'm working on this just for my enjoyment, I'm willing to go wherever my creativity takes me at the time. 

So thinks have been moving a bit slower. 

Made a basic leaf decal to simulate leaves floating on water and on other surfaces. 

The thing I was focused mostly on was the idea that I wanted to add a bunch of unconnected, old, damaged watchtowers around the level, to give it a bit more of that medieval vibe. And since Crysis doesn't contain any medieval shit at all, I am basically going to have to make everything about them by myself, starting completely from scratch.  

First off, I needed a specific texture, so I had to create the thing myself. Hardest part, of course, was sculpting it in zbrush to get good-looking nrmal maps but I think the end result looks good enough. Here it is plastered on a teapot, tiled way more frequently than I intend the towers to be.

Then it was time to make the first part of my assets, the completely ruined version of the tower. I fiddled with it endlessly, this is just one of the stages along the fiddling. Even though it looks much better now there are some apparent seams, but I'm not gonna worry too much about those, I intend to cover them up with decals and detail meshes. Also this is the intended tiling. Kinda stretchy, but I want the tower mesh to look the best at a mid-long range. I'll have some detail like rubble and clutter to take care of the up-close experience.

To mask the tiling seams and give the towers more detail at close range, I intend to use decals of cracked walls. To list the images, from top to bottom first up is the diffuse texture with the alpha channel masked in red. I actually modified it later to make it more fuzzy, works much better now. In the middle is the nearly-final version of the Zbrush sculpt, and on the bottom is the decal as seen in game. It uses a bit of POM for the self-shading, and works surprisingly well on surfaces that I didn't even intend it for.

So as you can see, progress has been slow, but I'm getting there. I've already thought up a list of the assets I'm gonna need to fulfill my ideas. Probably gonna bundle it together and release it on crymod or somewhere before the level is finished. Here it is: 

• 4 large setpieces: a fully destroyed tower, a partially destroyed tower with one floor intact, a partially renovated tower without the roof and two floors intact, and a fully repaired tower with 3 floors and the roof intact.
    • 6 decals: 3 decals of cracks and holes for the stone wall at the bottom. 2 decals of renovated white bricks for the brick wall at the top. 1 decal of generic rubble to put on the ground next to rubble meshes.
    • 8 small setpieces: 4 single pieces of each building material, meaning 4 single stone blocks, and 4 single bricks, to use as detail meshes.
    • 6 medium setpieces: 3 rubble pieces of broken/ruined walls for each building material, to use as detail geometry lying around the tower.
    • vegetation: I'm unsure how am I going to make vegetation yet. The walls certainly could use some moss, and I will most likely use decals for those, but I will also probably use cryteks foliage here and there.
    • textures: all of the above will have two texture sets, regular, and burned, which will have desaturated colors and some charring

After I'm done with the assets I'm just gonna arrange them in several prefab groups and place them around the level. 
    So, as you can see, I have planned a significant amount of work for myself, and it should keep me busy for the next few weeks.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By floodiastus

Looks cool, zbrush seems awesome

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#3  Edited By alistercat

Looks good. I'm sure the guys on Crymod will enjoy the assets. Wish I could do this stuff.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By LiquidS

I'm all about "Round Assets".

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By XTraFries
    @LiquidS said:
    " I'm all about "Round Assets". "
    zing
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard
    @yoob: How's your map going? I just stumbled across your blogs and would love a chance to download it and have a look around myself!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.