Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bot

Concept »

AI Bots are computer-controlled game characters that substitute for characters that are otherwise typically played by a human, and are most commonly found in multiplayer games.

This is the biggest victim of the current generation.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Damn you, Halo! Now, so few games have bots to play against. Yeah, in an era of online gaming, maybe it's dumb to play a game against the computer . . . but god damnit, sometimes it's just fun to blast people away without having to listen to them bitch. I'm getting the Xbox-to-Wii port of Rogue Trooper mainly because it has bot support. Anyone else love killing bots?

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Discorsi

bots suck so bad.  good riddance.

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By destro

back in the day. the bots on perfect dark got destroyed, hahaha. I dont even know any games that have bots.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Snipzor

I love my bots the way I love my cannon fodder... useless and dumb.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By c1337us
    Discorsi said:
    "bots suck so bad.  good riddance."
    I couldnt agree more.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fr0br0

Bots and Splitscreen are what I miss most. Why does everything have to be online multiplayer? What if I want to play with a game with somebody next to me? I used to have so much fun teaming up with a friend and going against a team of bots. And if bots aren't available we could go head to head talking shit to each other's faces. But I guess developers want us to be pussies and say shit over the internet...

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Black_Rose

100% agree.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By immike

I'm not sure why people ever got tired of bots. With the amount of people verbally attacking each other on XBL, I am for bots now more than ever.  

I understand that they are stupid and don't always hold their own, but that's one of the fun aspects: they give you some freedom to do what you want while still giving you somewhat of a challenge. I play Perfect Dark Zero from time to time just because it has bots and I grow tired of people on XBL. I wanna shoot stuff and not feel nervous a guy on my team is looking at my a little funny and get blown away by friendly fire. Or you manage to pull off a really great score/moment in a game and then receive messages detailing how much of an "asshole and hacker" you are. 

Bring back bots....please?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Bots do not suck.  UT2004 was a great training ground for skilling up.  Bots should've gotten much better since we've moved on to multithreaded/multi core aware engines.  It pisses me off that this generation of console only gamers have almost no knowledge of the best tricks because they've been limited by dumb AI and often entirely bot-less maps.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne

Yes. There are two competetive FPS games I was every really, really good at, Day of Defeat and Natural Selection, because I could practise maps, aim, reactions etc. in a stress- and pressure free, lack-of-idiots, relaxed AI Bot environment. 

And those were modding-bots that were created for fun by random internet people. Imagine what could be done by professional developers with today's tools. O well.

illumination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By illumination

Bots are one of the things i miss. :( Maybe the bot can be revived in 2010?? :D

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By immike

Glad to see that there are some that feel some sort of appreciation for bots. There are some bots that do not suck, yes. UT2004 bots destroyed me, but I ended up getting better and did really well online and against the bots. I hope they receive a revive or whatever like cooperative modes have received these past few years.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By shirogane

Yeah, bring back bots, and make them talk shit as well, that would be pretty hilarious. Some of the UT ones did it, saying stuff when you killed them, or when they killed you. 
    Bots are fun, cause they're bots. But i think developers are just too lazy to bother making the AI and assume people will have enough fun killing each other.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

UT3 has bots...play that?

Oh, and Horde mode and Firefight are better than tdm and ctf with bots. 

Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pepsicolaboy

I love bots. Killzone 2 had good support for bots, and AI that was pretty decent to go along with it.

Its totally irrelevant to compare bots vs. multiplayer experiences, they ultimately serve a different purpose and provide a different play experience.
    I like playing with bots now and then because its a little more relaxed, and in some strange way often more dramatic as large numbers of AI controlled oppents follow similar scripting (to show a kind a cohesion that online multiplayer often lacks).

On top of that, bots can be a really good way of practicing, getting used to a game mode or in some cases (like mine - no gold account on my 360) it actually provides the only 'multiplayer' style gameplay that a game delivers. Gears 2 was great for this reason.
    Considering that less than half of people with 360's actually use live, bots seem like a essential part of the game package these days, particularly as developers put more and more effort in to elaborate and generally excellent multiplayer maps and modes.

On top of that (again), I even use bots in games I own on PS3 and PC (ie. killzone 2 and say, UT3) even though online play is free - thats how much some people like them.

BOTS = VALUE + FUN + WHY THE HELL NOT?

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By carlthenimrod

Doesn't horde mode and every variant of it basically equate to you fighting bots?

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By immike

I agree, horde mode is basically bots with a single tactic: Rush you (also firefight). I'd like to compare that to Gears 2 which had that but also had other modes. I really enjoyed fighting the bots for the hill in king of the hill, defending my leader from the bots while taking down their leader, etc. 

POINT: The biggest difference between horde mode and multiplayer bot matches is that horde mode does not cater to single players. It caters towards groups of players who want to defend against waves of bots. Playing these modes alone anytime is pretty stressful and generally not too much fun, but playable.

I love horde mode, but I also really love multiplayer bots. I want both to coexist and make a comeback. (Yeah, Killzone 2 has bots and now I want a PS3. Also, yup, I'm gonna go pick up gears 2 and ut3. Thanks Epic Games.)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meowayne

Even stupid bots are great. They give you something to shoot at while getting to know the maps.

I used to play CS back in the day with the most basic bots that only had a couple of dozen waypoints per map that they would just cycle.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Captain_Insano
    @Meowayne: Day of Defeat fkn rocked
    Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Druminator

Bots in Red Faction were so fun to demolish. Dig a huge ass tunnel with the rocket launcher and let them pour in.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Bigandtasty

I agree. I would like to have bots from time to time if only to mess around with even if the AI is terrible. Maybe only on the PC versions of the game since they're more justifiable when the tools of PC games are available to abuse, but I would like to have them as an option.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Deusoma

I love bots, and I have missed them dearly. Halo 2 and 3 deeply disappointed me with the lack of even rudimentary bots, because I hate playing online with other people. I had Unreal Tournament 1 back in the day, and never, ever played it with another person, just against increasingly difficult bots on all kinds of maps from the interblag. 

I also prefer split-screen to online, but that's a different discussion.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " UT3 has bots...play that?  Oh, and Horde mode and Firefight are better than tdm and ctf with bots.  "
    Yeah UT3's are fine and Horde mode's enemies are fine too but both are fewer and further between examples of bots and decent AI in modern games.  Hell, I still think that FEAR's AI was one of most impressive examples of dynamic path finding yet.
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By immike
    @Deusoma said:
    " I love bots, and I have missed them dearly. Halo 2 and 3 deeply disappointed me with the lack of even rudimentary bots, because I hate playing online with other people. I had Unreal Tournament 1 back in the day, and never, ever played it with another person, just against increasingly difficult bots on all kinds of maps from the interblag.    I also prefer split-screen to online, but that's a different discussion. "
    Yes, I was also pretty disappointed in Halo not having bots. This is of course just my opinion, but it would have been totally complete in my eyes if the series had bots. I love how Counter-Strike Condition Zero allowed users to make maps and then the bots adapted and were able to navigate the maps. If they could do that in Halo or CoD, that'd be great.  

I'm hoping that Battlefield BC2 has bots, but if not I will stick to the games like UT, Gears, Tom Clancy games, etc. for my bot needs.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Back in the days of Quake 1, bots were my preferred way to play multiplayer for the most part (it was that or a 200-300 ping dial up connection). There were some pretty good ones like the Omicron bot, which had surprisingly realistic play, it had 'personalities' with varying skill levels and strategies, knew how to control the important areas of a map, would trash talk you, the whole nine yards. Much more entertaining than an ice skating lagfest with a bunch of noobs.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Expletive

Local Co-op is the thing I'm saddest about losing, I realize it's not completely gone but hardly any games have it anymore. 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Skald

The enemies in horde mode have more in common with campaign enemies than bots. Bots are meant to be analogous to human players.

Bots are great because they can accomplish what every ranking and matchmaking system in existence has failed to do: create a consistent and skill-adjusted experience. 
    Gears of War 2 had some of the least consistent bots I had ever seen.  I truly hated them. 
    Killzone 2 had effective bots. They went for objectives, shot dudes, used skills, and sometimes flanked enemies.
    And I couldn't even imagine playing an RTS without bots.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By immike
    @extremeradical said:
    " The enemies in horde mode have more in common with campaign enemies than bots. Bots are meant to be analogous to human players. Bots are great because they can accomplish what every ranking and matchmaking system in existence has failed to do: create a consistent and skill-adjusted experience. Gears of War 2 had some of the least consistent bots I had ever seen.  I truly hated them. Killzone 2 had effective bots. They went for objectives, shot dudes, used skills, and sometimes flanked enemies.And I couldn't even imagine playing an RTS without bots. "
    Were the bots really that good in KZ2? I have not played the game, but I am going to get a ps3 sometime soon and might get the game. I seen a lot of the first game and the bots did not look too bright. From what you said, though, the bots seem to have improved.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Capum15

I loved the bots in 007 Nightfire (for the N64). You could modify so many stats. I would always make strong and slow bots coupled with a few fast and weak, with the occasional camper/rusher/normal in there.

And it does suck that most games are now ditching splitscreen co-op.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I really miss bots, I wish developers would learn that not everyone wants to play online.  I wouldn't blame Halo for this though, it seems most developers are just trying to force people to play online.  Most people who play online consider bots "beneath" them anyway, which is evident from this topic.  People who care more for offline/split-screen, like myself would like to have them, to at least add some competition.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Meowayne

ice skating

Oo, I have never heard that term for a laggy game before. Cute.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Skald
    @immike said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " The enemies in horde mode have more in common with campaign enemies than bots. Bots are meant to be analogous to human players. Bots are great because they can accomplish what every ranking and matchmaking system in existence has failed to do: create a consistent and skill-adjusted experience. Gears of War 2 had some of the least consistent bots I had ever seen.  I truly hated them. Killzone 2 had effective bots. They went for objectives, shot dudes, used skills, and sometimes flanked enemies.And I couldn't even imagine playing an RTS without bots. "
    Were the bots really that good in KZ2? I have not played the game, but I am going to get a ps3 sometime soon and might get the game. I seen a lot of the first game and the bots did not look too bright. From what you said, though, the bots seem to have improved. "
    They don't transcend bot-ness, but they're satisfying enough to play against. Better than most bots, anyway.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#33  Edited By citizenkane

Truly this the age of online gaming.  Truly.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By CL60

Counter-Strike bots on hard were hackers, I swear to god.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the bots in UT3, the Gears of War 2 bots are hopeless though. L4D AI is horrific also.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MeierTheRed

I used the Bots in Kz2 as practice before heading online, i thought the Bots in that game where pretty good.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By InfiniteGeass

They really should bring them back for when you don't feel like playing online.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EVO
    @Druminator said:
    " Bots in Red Faction were so fun to demolish. Dig a huge ass tunnel with the rocket launcher and let them pour in. "
    Fuck yeah. My friend and I used to love digging a hole, then watching the chaos ensue as we flame throwered the helpless bots.

Ahh, Red Faction. Good times.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Ah, bots. Another reason I love Timesplitters so much. I do agree that most bots are too simple and predictable though. I'm currently working my way into programming Artificial Intelligence. Too bad the big money for that is outside of the video game industry.

Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pepsicolaboy
    @immike said:

" @extremeradical said:

Were the bots really that good in KZ2? I have not played the game, but I am going to get a ps3 sometime soon and might get the game. I seen a lot of the first game and the bots did not look too bright. From what you said, though, the bots seem to have improved. "
    Honestly, the only significant difference between playing with Bots in KZ2 and playing with real people was that (on higher difficulties) the bots would kill you faster. Other than that, yeah, the bot A.I is pretty excellent. Maybe not perfect, but very challenging and enjoyable.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Coombs

I remember some good times with Perfect Dark blasting through shit tons of bots

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By ArcBorealis

I too miss bots.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PureRok

Chalk me up as someone who also misses bots.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Something I really enjoyed about Gears of War 2.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By immike
    @extremeradical: Hmm, well I sure hope they don't transcend botness. Wouldn't want them to suddenly evolve into real people :P. Just kidding I know what you meant. The fact that KZ2 had bots made me really want a PS3.  

@zudthespud said:
    " I like the bots in UT3, the Gears of War 2 bots are hopeless though. L4D AI is horrific also. "
    Really? I really enjoyed the bots in both UT3 and Gears 2. I guess I'm just a bot lover... 

@Pepsicolaboy: As long as the game has bots, it is A-OK in my book. I guess it'd be nice if they weren't like CS Expert bots that one shot you by flinging their reticule to your head and firing in less than half a second. Other than that, bring on the bots, I'll take em all on! 

Just in general: I hope the new Halo has bots or some sort of offline multiplayer mode at the very least. It's the newest game coming out that I really hope has bots.
    Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I love killing online but sometimes I just want to jump on Timesplitters 2 and bust through a ton of bots.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zajtalan

oh yea i loved playing timesplitters 2 and just going nuts with bots

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Skald
    @immike said:

" @extremeradical: Hmm, well I sure hope they don't transcend botness. Wouldn't want them to suddenly evolve into real people :P. Just kidding I know what you meant.  

You have no idea. 

Transcending Botness  
     Transcending Botness  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.