Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 01, 2011

Nathan "Rad" Spencer returns with the ability to jump and a snazzy moustache, in order to face an evil general bent on launching a missile strike.

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2: You Can Totally Jump

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

It makes some sense that Fatshark, which recently released Lead & Gold: Gangs of the Wild West, is handling the development duties on a follow-up to 2008's Bionic Commando Rearmed. Fatshark is, after all, one of the three studios that rose up out of GRIN, the Sweden-based studio that built the original game before going defunct in 2009. So far, there isn't much to say about Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, but I think the released trailer says everything that needs to be said at this point. 

Jumping? In a side-scrolling Bionic Commando game? This changes everything.

Players will once again control Nathan "Rad" Spencer, who will see a series of new weapons and other upgrades, in addition to his jumping ability. In the trailer, for example, you can see a sort of ground pound attack. The story will pit Spencer against someone named General Sabio, who is attempting to launch a bunch of missiles. Anyone want to take odds on if his head explodes at the end of the game? Or if he's really just another reincarnated Hitler or something?

The game will contain co-op play and is also billed as having "better camera functionality." I'm trying to think back to the previous game and I'm not really coming up with any obvious camera-related problems, so I'm not sure what that means.

On par with the announcement of jumping is the statement that the soundtrack will be "inspired by NES-era sound effects" and "produced by the same creative mind behind the original Bionic Commando Rearmed soundtrack." Though not mentioned by name, that creative mind is almost certainly Simon Viklund, who did a pretty amazing job last time around.

BCR2 is currently slated for release on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade during the first quarter of 2011. That's... not exactly soon. I really enjoyed the previous game and, well, I'm probably one of like 15 people that really liked the full-fledged console game that followed it, so you probably know that I'm already all pumped up to see more.    
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff

It makes some sense that Fatshark, which recently released Lead & Gold: Gangs of the Wild West, is handling the development duties on a follow-up to 2008's Bionic Commando Rearmed. Fatshark is, after all, one of the three studios that rose up out of GRIN, the Sweden-based studio that built the original game before going defunct in 2009. So far, there isn't much to say about Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, but I think the released trailer says everything that needs to be said at this point. 

Jumping? In a side-scrolling Bionic Commando game? This changes everything.

Players will once again control Nathan "Rad" Spencer, who will see a series of new weapons and other upgrades, in addition to his jumping ability. In the trailer, for example, you can see a sort of ground pound attack. The story will pit Spencer against someone named General Sabio, who is attempting to launch a bunch of missiles. Anyone want to take odds on if his head explodes at the end of the game? Or if he's really just another reincarnated Hitler or something?

The game will contain co-op play and is also billed as having "better camera functionality." I'm trying to think back to the previous game and I'm not really coming up with any obvious camera-related problems, so I'm not sure what that means.

On par with the announcement of jumping is the statement that the soundtrack will be "inspired by NES-era sound effects" and "produced by the same creative mind behind the original Bionic Commando Rearmed soundtrack." Though not mentioned by name, that creative mind is almost certainly Simon Viklund, who did a pretty amazing job last time around.

BCR2 is currently slated for release on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade during the first quarter of 2011. That's... not exactly soon. I really enjoyed the previous game and, well, I'm probably one of like 15 people that really liked the full-fledged console game that followed it, so you probably know that I'm already all pumped up to see more.    
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

Jump, you say?!

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Is this what Ben Judd has been working on all this time? Also, I'm one of the 15 people who liked the disc-based title as well.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By AuthenticM

awesome

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Shabs

This looks very promising, and it's good news that the same dude is probably doing the soundtrack.

Rearmed is in the running for my favourite XBLA game.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jeff
    @Sleepy_Insomniac: Nope, Ben Judd is not on BCR2. He's working on some still-unannounced projects.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @Jeff: Well damn. I miss that guy.
    Light_Geiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Light_Geiger

I still have the 360 BC game as well though no one is playing it online anymore...
    thomasmolby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thomasmolby

Looks really cool :-) I still don't understand why so many people hated the "big" Bionic Commando game, I thought it was very enjoyable.

fogh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fogh

Yes Yes Yes
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Hmm... Haven't played the first one, so i don't know what to think of this yet.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Sunjammer

The 3D Bionic Commando was amazing. I have a kind of weird reverence for it. It's like a fighting game, except instead of fighting you're traversing the environment. It really needed a challenge room mode like BCR did. Sigh. No sequel for that one though :-(

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By iamjohn

Jeff, have you heard any about who's behind this project, like the director or whomever?  Apparently, the only lead person behind the first Rearmed at Fatshark is the level designer, so I'm kind of curious as to how much crossover there is between the original Rearmed team and Fatshark.  But if they got Simon on task for the soundtrack, maybe there's a chance he's directing this one too?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By KaosAngel

Yay jump.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Cybexx

Sent an email off to Might and Delight to see where Simon Vicklund ended up. I'll post the response somewhere on GB when I get it. 

And yeah I did like BC09 as I will now refer to it. The swing mechanics were really fun, the guns could have had more impact to them and I will now take invisible walls over radiation any day of the week. The underground cave stuff was the best part of that game because there was barely any radiation and swinging through those areas or doing battle with the flying mechs was a joy. I didn't like how collectables reset on death, that really pissed me off and make some of the levels more of a chore as a result. Also having to get everything in one play-through to get all the achievements was kind of a dick move. I defiantly enjoyed BC:R more, but I still enjoy many aspects of BC09. 

I wish we would get a BC2 building off the original game, current gen sequels have been doing a pretty good job expanding on their predecessors and I would love to see a game that takes all the good parts of BC09 and rethinks the rest. 

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TonyBlue87

" You Can Totally Jump"
     They should make this the actual subtitle to the game.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Skald
    @Jeff said:
    " This changes everything. "
    newmania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By newmania

@Jeff: Can you confirm that BCR2 will include ball-puckering?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

This is great news that another BC:R is being handled by ex-Grin guys. That is indeed awesome. But the whole feel of the game might be either ruined or improved with the jump. I mean that's kinda what set BC on the NES from stuff like Contra, really.  Oh well, we shall see.  I'm too excited about this though.

twelve1784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By twelve1784

I would have been more excited if it was a new third person Bionic Commando, but I don't ever see that happening.  All it needed to be great was a little bit more variety in combat and something less irritating than murderous walls of radioactivity to keep me on track.  I even enjoyed the cheeseball story, it would have been perfectly at home in the 8-bit era.

I'll probably never get that though, so I'll be looking forward to Rearmed 2.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EVO

Awesome. Rearmed is easily one of the best downloadable games and the inability to jump was really the only thing you could criticize it for.

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Pkshields

I really did like Bionic Commando 2009 too, I jut never got round to finishing it. Bionic Commando Rearmed was a great game though.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Milkman

Oh god, I had almost forgotten about the Bionic Commando: Rearmed soundtrack.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm one of the people who actually liked the new BC game.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PJ

Fatshark is NOT a studio that rose up out of Grin. They have been around long before Grin closed

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FCKSNAP

Rad! Great! I'll totally buy it, BC:R was so good last time around even without jumping! What a dumb thing to get hung up on though, jumping wasn't necessary in the first one due to level design.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

I still have to get Re-armed 1. Actaully I still have to get a shit ton of XBLA games... including Shadow Complex

myghart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By myghart

Oh, old flash player, I missed you more than a retard misses the point.* 

* I am very sorry about this lame quote from the Drawn Together series.

bobthecannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bobthecannibal

As soon as I saw you can jump in BC:R 2 the song Jumping Jack Flash came to mind and is now driving my crazy. I need some 8 bit re-evolved music now!!!

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By buzz_clik
    @bobthecannibal: Allow me to assist...

bobthecannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bobthecannibal

AAAAHHHHHH my head. The jumping is repeating and repeating.

WholeFunShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#32  Edited By WholeFunShow

I'M SCARED!

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

As a die hard fan of the original I don't think jumping should be added.  It breaks the entire game, BC didn't need it lol olololol I'm joking I could careless if there's jumping, but you know some loser somewhere is arguing this.

jshmazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jshmazzle

Yes. The first Rearmed was great, hopefully Fatshark does a good job with this one, though it looks from the trailer that it should be great.

Enigma_2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Enigma_2099

Now someone go back and remind that little blue bastard, Mega Man that he knew how to swim once...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.