Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Binary Domain

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

A group of international soldiers take on an army of rogue androids in this sci-fi shooter set in 2080's Tokyo.

So the voice recognition stuff doesn't work at all does it?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I've finally got around to playing Binary Domain! I already played the demo so I knew what I was going into to; shooting still feels pretty satisfying and I particularly like to pop a robot's head off with the pistol. But... this damn voice recognition. It's kinda funny how it seemingly can't recognise 9/10 words I say, and more often than not it's interpreted as ''wait!'' or ''Help!'' even when I'm trying to say ''Lookin' Pretty Sweet''. Actually no, ''Lookin' Pretty Sweet'' is strangely enough one of the more consistent phrases that the game will actually recognise. Having ''Fuck you'' translated as ''Love you'' was hilarious, though.

I'm probably just going to give up since the initial draw of laughing at the poor quality of the VR is going to wear thin more than likely. I'm still only maybe 30 minutes in and I feel like I'd be better off just relying on manually selecting the few commands at my disposal. The squad mechanics aren't all that instrumental towards the grand scheme anyway from what I've been told? But in any case, what was everyone else's experience with the VR? How long did it take before you gave up and got bored of Big Bo constantly asking what the fuck you're talking about?

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Worked virtually all the time for me, it's all about enunciation.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yummylee

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Worked virtually all the time for me, it's all about enunciation.

Seriously?... I don't know what it is then. I'm English, but I don't have a super distinct accent or anything and I'm pretty articulate. It can recognise words more so when I deliver them really flat and monotone at least, but even then it's only maybe 4/10 times will it work. Plus it isn't very fun to purposely talk like I'm clinically depressed either.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

It's the sexy English accent that's throwing it off, isn't it?

All the good things I've ever heard about this game have stemmed from the voice recognition. Call it the gimmick of the game, if you will, elevating it above a simple mish-mash Gears clone. I can see why it wouldn't be amazing without that aspect actually working.

Edit: Hooray for taking too long to type!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yummylee

@AndrewB said:

It's the sexy English accent that's throwing it off, isn't it?

All the good things I've ever heard about this game have stemmed from the voice recognition. Call it the gimmick of the game, if you will, elevating it above a simple mish-mash Gears clone. I can see why it wouldn't be amazing without that aspect actually working.

Edit: Hooray for taking too long to type!

So... is the VR actually meant to be pretty reliable across the board for most people? I'm stuck in the minority where my mouth might as well be full of toffee while I talk into my headset? Well that sucks. I would have frankly been happier if this was a problem for everyone because of the game, since knowing that it could somehow very well be down to my own voice stopping me from getting the same experience outta this as everyone else is a bit of a downer. =/

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Catarrhal

Never even tried the voice commands (which is too bad, because my voice is awesome).

@AndrewB said:

All the good things I've ever heard about this game have stemmed from the voice recognition.

No offense, but that is complete bullshit. Take this thread, for example; despite unanimous praise for the game, you won't find a single comment in favor of the voice recognition.

@Abyssfull said:

is the VG actually meant to be pretty reliable across the board for most people?

I seriously doubt that. Did you not see the Quick Look? Having looked at various message boards over the past few weeks, it would seem to me that almost everyone chose to disable the voice commands.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

@Abyssfull: Speaking only from what I've heard of the game and not from experience: unfortunately yes, it's a binary "it works" or "it doesn't work." I've heard a ton of praise from those it works for, and a ton of negativity from those it doesn't work for. There is definitely a crowd of people it doesn't work for, and that wouldn't be merely an accent issue.

@Catarrhal said:

@AndrewB said:

All the good things I've ever heard about this game have stemmed from the voice recognition.

No offense, but that is complete bullshit. Take this thread, for example; despite unanimous praise for the game, you won't find a single comment in favor of the voice recognition.

No... everything I've personally heard says it's a good game made great by the voice recognition aspects, but if you feel you know my memories better than I do, then I guess I must capitulate.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By iamjohn

The voice recognition works pretty well for me, but I mostly don't use it because it keeps picking up background noise and thinking I'm cursing up a blue streak into the mic. Having the characters react every time the game thinks I said fuck and having them call me out for being a whiny bitch... ugh.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee

@Catarrhal: I did, but there was also a patch I had to download and I was hoping maybe that ironed the inaccuracies out a bit. Also they were in a new office and Jeff was talking with Brad and... I dunno, I had hope that for me it would still work out differently.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yummylee

@AndrewB said:

@Abyssfull: Speaking only from what I've heard of the game and not from experience: unfortunately yes, it's a binary "it works" or "it doesn't work." I've heard a ton of praise from those it works for, and a ton of negativity from those it doesn't work for. There is definitely a crowd of people it doesn't work for, and that wouldn't be merely an accent issue.

lol very nice.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cheesebob

Works pretty good for me. Though it has trouble picking up regroup.

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By RedBullRacer

I just finished the game, played the whole thing with voice commands. Had to spend about an hour at the start fine tuning the noise levels etc, but I got it to a point where it was 95% for me. Every now and then it would start randomly picking up words, but I think that was cos I was breathing out of my nose and onto the mic. So I moved the mic a far way from my mouth and after that, never had any issues!

I think the voice commands added a lot to this game, I loved it!

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Haruko

Chiming in to say played the whole game loved the entire thing and the voice commands didn't work fucking once and it was more awesome for it.

Fuck!

...fUUUccck!

and so on.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BisonHero

@Haruko said:

Chiming in to say played the whole game loved the entire thing and the voice commands didn't work fucking once and it was more awesome for it.

Fuck!

...fUUUccck!

and so on.

BiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIG BO!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.