Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

Late to the Party: Bayonetta

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

When did this game come out? January? I bought it recently and played it, so I'm pretty late to the party.

I finished Bayonetta and I have this problem . . . I don't know where to start. To call this game crazy is too light. That would be like calling a nuclear bomb detonation a inconvenience on an otherwise pleasant day. No, Bayonetta is complete bone crunching madness. Everything from the character design to the game play to the plot is the game thumbing its nose in the face of safety. Every time I had an opportunity to go "This is crazy" the game responded with something bigger and more outlandish. Fighting on the wing of a speeding aircraft isn't crazy in this game, it's like an afternoon walk. Firearms on shoes pass as normal. Surfing on a bent piece of metal in the heart of a water spout while an angel monster tries to blast you with eye lasers is kinda crazy. Then I played long enough to get to the point where I was riding a motorcycle up a multi-stage rocket while it was in flight . . . into space!

This game has single handedly ruined my definition of crazy.

That said, I had tons of fun from beginning to end. As soon as I bought the Breakdancing move and saw it in action I knew I had to stay with this game. If I could, I would have beaten every stage doing nothing but head spins and roundhouses while bullets and casings fly every which way. All the moves in this game are slick and satisfying. I've seen people saying this game is close to the style of Devil May Cry but I got more of a Ninja Gaiden on the X-Box vibe. You have tons of cool moves and weapons to kill enemies, but they also have tons of cool moves and weapons to kill you. Not to mention the difficulty runs about the same speed. I started off pretty confident and scored a gold trophy in the intro on normal. And then the game started to crush me routinely. Still, it's hard to complain when you can put rocket launchers on your feet and kick missiles at enemies. Not to mention the quick saves between life bars on boss fights. Dear god, the boss fights. This game only knows how to make them in one style, completely gargantuan.

I've never seen a game nail the "spin 360 degrees while shooting in all directions" as well as this game has. The guns don't do a whole lot of damage on their own, but it's so much fun to do a full circle and start hammering away on the fire button as Bayonetta starts whipping her guns around in the style of every action movie ever. And when that gets old, she can also do it with her feet which is nuts, but hilariously awesome at the same time. Then I did it with shotguns and somehow it becomes even more awesome. I think an alternate title for this game could have been escalation, because that tells you everything you need to know. At one point profanity is nearly essential because words fail to do any justice to describe the situation. I suppose you could also call it dumb. But it doesn't feel all that bad to find the absurd application of firearms entertaining. Fun doesn't have to be complicated, subtle, or dead serious every single time. If you're telling me that there's going to be a fight on an cruise missile while it's flying around, I'm on board.

After playing this game, I will probably have to compare everything to Bayonetta to measure how crazy it is. At least until I see something even more bizarre however unlikely it might be.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

When did this game come out? January? I bought it recently and played it, so I'm pretty late to the party.

I finished Bayonetta and I have this problem . . . I don't know where to start. To call this game crazy is too light. That would be like calling a nuclear bomb detonation a inconvenience on an otherwise pleasant day. No, Bayonetta is complete bone crunching madness. Everything from the character design to the game play to the plot is the game thumbing its nose in the face of safety. Every time I had an opportunity to go "This is crazy" the game responded with something bigger and more outlandish. Fighting on the wing of a speeding aircraft isn't crazy in this game, it's like an afternoon walk. Firearms on shoes pass as normal. Surfing on a bent piece of metal in the heart of a water spout while an angel monster tries to blast you with eye lasers is kinda crazy. Then I played long enough to get to the point where I was riding a motorcycle up a multi-stage rocket while it was in flight . . . into space!

This game has single handedly ruined my definition of crazy.

That said, I had tons of fun from beginning to end. As soon as I bought the Breakdancing move and saw it in action I knew I had to stay with this game. If I could, I would have beaten every stage doing nothing but head spins and roundhouses while bullets and casings fly every which way. All the moves in this game are slick and satisfying. I've seen people saying this game is close to the style of Devil May Cry but I got more of a Ninja Gaiden on the X-Box vibe. You have tons of cool moves and weapons to kill enemies, but they also have tons of cool moves and weapons to kill you. Not to mention the difficulty runs about the same speed. I started off pretty confident and scored a gold trophy in the intro on normal. And then the game started to crush me routinely. Still, it's hard to complain when you can put rocket launchers on your feet and kick missiles at enemies. Not to mention the quick saves between life bars on boss fights. Dear god, the boss fights. This game only knows how to make them in one style, completely gargantuan.

I've never seen a game nail the "spin 360 degrees while shooting in all directions" as well as this game has. The guns don't do a whole lot of damage on their own, but it's so much fun to do a full circle and start hammering away on the fire button as Bayonetta starts whipping her guns around in the style of every action movie ever. And when that gets old, she can also do it with her feet which is nuts, but hilariously awesome at the same time. Then I did it with shotguns and somehow it becomes even more awesome. I think an alternate title for this game could have been escalation, because that tells you everything you need to know. At one point profanity is nearly essential because words fail to do any justice to describe the situation. I suppose you could also call it dumb. But it doesn't feel all that bad to find the absurd application of firearms entertaining. Fun doesn't have to be complicated, subtle, or dead serious every single time. If you're telling me that there's going to be a fight on an cruise missile while it's flying around, I'm on board.

After playing this game, I will probably have to compare everything to Bayonetta to measure how crazy it is. At least until I see something even more bizarre however unlikely it might be.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

If you think that was crazy, try playing it on hard.  Not only do you take a bit more damage, but harder enemies show up earlier in the story, and they have new attacks.

CRAZY.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Sounds like fun. I may actually be getting Bayonetta soon so I'll be able to see everything you're talking about.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sarumarine
    @Linkyshinks:@SpaceInsomniac: 
    Man, I totally fear hard mode. I already died four or five times playing some levels on normal. But I'm willing to deal with absurdly low scores and a truckload of Stone Enzo statues if it means more insanity.
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Jedted

I just bought the game myself cause it was on sale at gamestop it is total madness.  So much so that i can't play more than 1 or 2 levels at a time because oh how overwhelming it is.  And i'm only playing on the Easy difficulty, maybe i'm just not used to these types of games but i found Normal to be quite frustrating. 
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Trilogy

Bayonetta is on its way from gamefly so I'll be joining this late party soon.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sarumarine
    @Jedted: 
    Yeah, you're totally right. Normal mode gets really frustrating and hard for a difficulty called normal. There are more than a few enemies who can combo 3/4ths of your health in no time at all. You really have to prioritize which enemy you have to kill first. But best of luck to you.
    dazemslie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By dazemslie

just completed this game on normal and all i can say is wow what a game, never played anything quite as mad and loved it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I had an awesome time with Bayonetta, I really played the hell outta that game. Not only is the game unrelentingly insane in the scenarios it presents you with, it had an interesting cast of characters and some very satisfying combat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.