Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zork I: The Great Underground Empire

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released February 1981

West of House. You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.

Has anyone beaten Zork 1 without cheating?

Belf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Belf

I'm committed to beating this game without using any FAQs or guides, but I think I've pretty much done all I can do and am feeling a little bit aimless. I'm SURE I'll beat it at some point in my life, but for now, I'll have to live with a mere 289/350 points. Has anyone here actually finished this game, without cheating? If so, you earn my respect forever. :)

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Yit

if drawing a map is cheating, no.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I've enjoyed what bit of Zork I've played, but I've never beaten it. Arbitrary puzzles do not interest me and the story isn't good enough to make me sit through them.

I'm playing The Longest Journey right now with the same philosophy. Some of the puzzles are interesting, but I've got a guide running in the background as I just can't be bothered with them. Using it more as an interactive novel, and it's a great novel.

wafflestomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wafflestomp

I never beat the game on the old Epson QX-10, but I just got it for the iphone. Can't wait to play it again.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By GreggD

I'm going to attempt a complete run without cheating or using a FAQ. I already started about an hour ago, and as far as I can tell, I'm pretty far in.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By me3639

I never beat any Infocom game w/o help.  Remember games were new at the time  and that type of thinking wasnt as common as it is today. I dont think you, or anyone will have trouble finishing without help.

My 2 cents: graph paper is your best friend.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude
    @GreggD said:

I'm going to attempt a complete run without cheating or using a FAQ. I already started about an hour ago, and as far as I can tell, I'm pretty far in.

Aw man, you should have made a new thread or blog. Good luck.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GreggD

@Claude said:

@GreggD said:

Aw man, you should have made a new thread or blog. Good luck.

Thanks, man. All I needed was a lift from a man named Claude, y'know. It's like rubbing a Buddha statue for good luck, or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.