Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 29, 2020

The Defintitive Edition of this 2010 Wii game is a cosmetic remake with a remastered soundtrack and several quality of life changes, bringing this classic into high definition with MonolithSoft's latest engine tech for its 10 year anniversary. With Future Connected, it also features a standalone epilogue set in a new area that had been cut from the game during the original development.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, Who else is getting this?

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've already preordered. It might be the only Full price switch game i Buy in 2020.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I'm pretty excited about it. It's always a game that looked really cool to me but Nintendo sent it out to die over here. I'm ready to explore the big robot

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#3  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm super curious about the game. I've never played either of the games in the series, and would totally like a decent length RPG.

My only concern is how complicated the battle system can get. I've watched a few reviews, and it seems manageable, I think? I did see that they added a casual mode which would be super helpful.

Would anyone recommend this? I'm not the biggest action rpg fan, but have played a few. I really liked Ni No Kuni 2.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm gonna have to sit this one out, only because I have plenty of other JRPGs in my backlog; including Tokyo Mirage Sessions and every Kingdom Hearts game that isn't 1 and 2.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zeik

@mightyduck: The combat may look imposing at first, but it isn't too hard to grasp after a few hours into the game imo. The sequels are often too complex for their own good, but this game hits a good sweet spot.

I wouldn't really call it an "action-RPG" either. Combat is real time and you can freely move around, but positioning is only marginally important. Mainly the direction you attack from to proc skill effects, and occasionally to avoid attacks. And most of your skills function on cooldowns, so the flow of battle isn't that different than a turn-based JRPG.

It's closer to Ni no Kuni 1 than 2, although I'd consider Xenoblade to have much better combat than NNK1.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: How similar is it to Xenoblade Chronicles X in terms of UI icon barf and complexity? I don't even know if X is all that complicated, I just found it completely impenetrable.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

@zeik Thanks for sharing that, I appreciate it. I'm kind of intrigued by it now, especially after watching a few more trailers and seeing your thoughts on the battle system. I think I may have to give this a go. The length of the game seems a little bit daunting, but I guess there could be worse things!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zeik

@sethmode: X is the one I have the least experience with, but I don't find the UI of Chronicles that bad, and the remake seems to have improved it in a lot of ways on top of that.

There's definitely a lot going on in the game, both in mechanics and UI, but if you have any experience with JRPGs I don't think it would take long to make sense of the important stuff.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Doubt I'm going to get it immediately. For as much as I like the game, don't currently feel a huge desire to replay it. Great game though, would definitely recommend it.

krelmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I’m buying it on the switch to make up for having to pirate it on the Wii as it was nearly physically unavailable in the U.S. as far as I can tell there was no story coralaton with the other games in the series so if you played x or 2 it won’t matter. The worst part of the way it came out here is that it was the by far the best RPG the Wii had if you look at the quick look for it the way it had huge open areas with no loads was unique for a Wii game and while the models were low poly the sense of scale and scope was incredible. I hope there are new voices and translations but otherwise this game is great.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm grabbing it on release. From what I've seen the battle system looks fine and not the convoluted mess (imo) that was XCX and XC2. I'm gonna probably also give 2's dlc a try as well since it's battle system was worked on with new players in mind and the story/characters are supposed to be better than what was offered in the base game.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Quantris

I'll definitely get it but maybe not right away. I played a ton of the original release and loved it.

contactlondon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I do have the Wii version that I played for half an hour and never went back to, I'll probably get it down the line, once I've reduced my backlog.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely love Xenoblade Chronicles, buy I might have to wait a bit to pick the re-release up, my next full price game purchase will be Ghost of Tsushima.

Absolutely gutted I missed out on the Xenoblade collector's edition though. That seems to have sold out in minutes.

Snacko00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: it's pretty complicated but they gradually layer on systems at a steady rate for the first 30 hours or so. They don't pile it on all at once the way 2 does.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through the Wii version a couple times and bought a 3DS for this game. Anyone who's a fan of story based JRPGs should give it a try, it's also one of the few JRPGs that hits the ground running with the drama so it should hook relatively quickly I reckon (did for me anyway).

It has easily the simplest combat out of the series although the original still didn't do a fantastic job of explaining itself tbh. Hopefully this does a better job of on-boarding newer players but if not, it really isn't that complicated to learn and you don't really have to take advantage of all the features until the latter part of the game so there's plenty of time.

I'm currently pre-loading the definitive edition and I've been putting off a replay of the 3DS Ver in anticipation so I am ready for midnight. Real happy to see some interest from the duders, it's a real gem if you like these sorta games and still ranks as one of my all time favourite JRPGs.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the price, and that I just finished dumping 100 hours into the sequel a day ago, and the fact I didn't really like the original all that much back in the day, I'm surprised how strongly I'm considering it.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Me! This game fell through the cracks when I owned a Wii and worse yet I lost track of the Wii as well.

Can't wait to play it on the Switch!

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By BoOzak

I'm curious what the new content is but not enough to buy this version. Also i'm not a big fan of the new look of the characters, the graphics are better obviously but the new style is bit too anime for me.

No Caption Provided

(just to illustrate what I mean. It isnt bad by any means though. It kind of reminds me of Aria of Sorrow compared to Dawn of Sorrow)

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zeik

@boozak: I am in the camp of wishing they had stuck closer to the original character designs, but there are too many other improvements in the game for that to be a deal breaker. (Although I actually think Shulk is close to perfect. It's the other characters that look a bit off to me.)

Besides, if I could grow to like those original character models despite how put off I was at first glance I'm sure it won't take that long to do the same for the new ones.

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Have my Special Edition pre-ordered! I had to get the art book and the new after story. I love the original game too much not to.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad to see the menus are clean after the kinda nightmarish ones from XC2.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Downloading it right now which might not have been such a good idea since I felt like XC2 seemed not in line with what I was expecting game play wise early on(seemed like too few options for combat). Also getting one shotted by a giant gorilla which is 30 levels above me in the open world several times in a row while trying to fight level equivalent enemies got annoying. But decided on getting it since some seem to like it over XC2.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merxworx01: The random one shots is MOSTLY a XCX and XC2 thing. You can run into too strong monsters in XC1 as well but there's a lot less of them just descending on you from out of fucking nowhere.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The old art style kinda reminded me of Matsuno’s games Vagrant Story, FFXII, Tactics. Not a fan of the anime look either but maybe down the line I’ll get it.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LeStephan

I wasnt a big fan of the old style but i still think its shame they changed it. It looked really unique and now its just looks anime. Its more aesthetically pleasing to me but I honestly dont care too much about being pleased constantly anymore. Theres already more stuff that i like than ill ever have the time for even if nothing new ever gets made. Id much rather just have something interesting put in front of me even if I end up liking it less :') SO in that sense I could also be happy that it looks different from the original xD

im not buying the game though any time soon. played around 35 hours of the wii one, loved the time I spent with it but dont remember anything about it besides thinking the graphics were at times almost unbearably bad which Ive never thought about a game I bought before or since (im really curious how id think about it now that im a little older and more forgiving, I think I might pop in my old copy as I still have my wii hooked up anyways,)

Edit: definitely thought the samuel l jackson samurai thing on ps4 looked pretty unacceptable too I now remember. OH and this combat free mmo which launched on ps4 in its first or second year), dont remember the name but I DO remember it being 25 goddamn euros, barely functioning, ugly as sin, and half an hour in I got stuck in the environment and couldnt get out even if I quit and reloaded xDI tried to get my money back to no avail xD But yeah forgot about those 2 for a hot sec... Pretty sure my reaction to xenoblade chronicles wasnt as bad is was to those 2 haha

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: that's nice to hear. I think traveling that first area in xc2 felt messy, all the fauna was smattered across the field and the main character despite having a huge sword could (at the beginning, I assume) could only hit one enemy at a time. Just played less than an hour or XC and it already kind of feels better.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I bought it day one even though I won't have the time to play it til' later. Reason for this is mainly because I was forced to pirate it on a modded Wii back during Project Rainfall, because in Canada is was absolutely impossible to get my hands on a copy at the time. Now I've finally payed Monolith in full for one of the greatest JRPG's of the last 25 years.

Toxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

36 hours into it right now. This game is my happy place.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.