Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

What Do You Want on Xbox One Backwards Compatibility?

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Something I really like about Xbox One is backwards compatibility. It's something that was a bigger deal in the last console generation (the Wii, PS3, 360 and Wii U all had it to varying degrees) and it's kind of a bummer that the Xbox One is the only console this gen to really focus on it, of course there are several reasons for that, but still. Backwards compatibility is a great tool for video game access and preservation.

Major Nelson tweets new additions to back compat on Tuesdays:

The back compat on Xbox One might be the best in the business, with how it not only plays 360 and OG Xbox games just as well as on original hardware, but also improves them with forced V-Sync, better framerates in many cases, and higher resolutions for OG Xbox games and some 360 games even have Xbox One X patches. That's some magic emulation tech they've put together. So I threw a list together of games I'd particularly like to be added. Spoiler: it's mostly fighting games, Sonic games and DBZ games.

TL;DR - Xbox back compat is cool, here are some games I'd like, feel free to skim the list and post your own!

Xbox One BC Wishlist

1. Soulcalibur IV I really like the idea of my Xbox One just having every fighting game on it. Tekken, Dead or Alive, Injustice and Virtua Fighter are covered, but SCIV is a big omission for me. If I had to guess, this game is probably in some sort of licensing hell thanks to the Star Wars characters. If that's the case we may never see it added to Back Compat. It's one of my most played 360 games though and I'd love to see it happen.
    2. Soulcalibur V I never played this one much and think IV is better, but I'd still like to have another crack at it sometime. Having it on my Xbox One would be as good a reason as any to take another look.
    3. Mortal Kombat Injustice is on there, why not Mortal Kombat?
    5. Sonic Unleashed I rented this game way back and really liked the Sonic stages and the gorgeous CG cutscenes (I think they started doing them that way in Shadow the Hedgehog) but I didn't get very far. It feels like an unfinished chapter in my Sonic game history and a kind of important one given it was the first game to use the Hedgehog Engine. The Werehog stuff is whatever.
    8. Sonic Heroes I dunno, this would just be cool to see. Sonic Heroes isn't my favourite Sonic game but I have some fond memories of it. Mostly the theme song, probably.
    9. Sonic Riders Same reason as Sonic Heroes really. Riders isn't the easiest game to control but it feels great when you get pretty good at it. I'm not sure if the Wii sequel was good, I'll have to look into it, but it's a shame the 360 Riders game was Kinect-only and we haven't seen Riders again since.
    6. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing I fell in love with Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed when they gave it out on Games with Gold a while back so I'm down for playing the original.
    10. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 I have this on Steam, but it's one of those Steam games that never got achievements. Also I originally played Red Alert 1 on PlayStation as a kid so playing C&C on consoles is weirdly nostalgic I guess, even if using a controller isn't the best way to play this sort of game.
    11. Dragon Ball: Raging Blast I don't understand why none of the Dragon Ball Z 360 games are on there. I haven't played the Raging Blast games but from what I can gather they're basically successors to the old Tenkaichi series and those were great.
    12. Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 Like seriously Xenoverse and FighterZ are fantastic but it would be nice to have more.
    13. Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit Surely they could only make more money by adding these? I actually played this one a bunch, I remember the story mode was really tough on the higher difficulties. Burst Limit was a watered down Budokai if memory serves but it looked slick.
    14. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai HD Collection Come on, even Budokai? They represent the first truly good DBZ fighting games. I don't get it. It sucks that the music is all different because the composer turned out to be a plagiarist, but this would still be a cool thing to play. Also kinda sucks that Budokai 2 isn't included but I guess I understand why and I never played 2 anyway.
    7. Sega Superstars Tennis I just put this in my 360 for the first time (it was a pack-in game with my console I'd never touched) and it seems pretty good. Made by the same devs who made the Sonic All-Stars Racing games and I kind of just want to play everything they make now. Maybe they could have a crack at reviving Sonic Riders after Sonic Team Racing comes out.
    4. Street Fighter X Tekken Tekken and Street Fighter are on there, kinda weird this isn't. I've only messed around with this game once or twice, wouldn't mind taking another look at it.

Burnout Revenge and Prince of Persia were on my list but were added a while ago now.

It would be cool if they added the missing Sonic games (okay they can keep Sonic 06 but still)
    It would be cool if they added the missing Sonic games (okay they can keep Sonic 06 but still)

So are there any games you'd like to see added to backwards compatibility on Xbox One?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The only games I really care about coming to BC are Max Payne 3 and the MGS HD collection. I would be over the moon!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

DJ Hero 1 or 2 or both. :(

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

@colourful_hippie: I don't think they've brought anything over that needs specific 360 peripherals have they? It would be cool if they did though.

Heck, it would be cool if they would just enable 360 controllers and peripherals in general. I'd get some more use out of my 360 racing wheel. I guess I could always hook it up to my PC and play through streaming on the Xbox App but that's kind of involved-- I'm going off on a tangent, nevermind.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think all the games I seriously care about are already on there. Having Skyrim would be nice for the heck of it, but I own that on a million other platforms and the Special Edition exists for the XONE already so that's not going to happen. Maybe the old Tony Hawk games that came out on the OG Xbox?

Heck, it would be cool if they would just enable 360 controllers and peripherals in general.

I'd like that a lot, actually.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    • Jet Set Radio Future - Probably never gonna happen because music licensing.
    • GunValkyrie - Probably no one at Sega even remembers this game existed.
    • Project Sylpheed - Definitely no one at Square Enix remembers this game existed.
    darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

KIngdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

That's the only one that's left on my list.

and with the recent purchase of the IP there is a sliver of hope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Syndicate

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looking through what's available, I can't think of anything I missed from the previous generation that I couldn't play through backwards compatibility. Apart from Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, my entire Xbox 360 library is available on the Xbox One. They've really done an amazing job with this, and I hope it continues.

Here's the official list if anyone needs to reference it.

Asakusa_A18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dirt 2 and The Saboteur

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By liquiddragon

I have the most fondest for the PS2 era so I'd like to see more OG Xbox games. Jet Set Radio Future, Otogi 1 & 2, Burnout 3, Silent Hill 2, Full Spectrum Warrior, Kingdom Under Fire, Freedom Fighters, NBA Street, SSX. Some of those I never got to play so it'd be cool to have them up in the digital store.

Last gen wise, I'd like to see Nier, Driver San Fran, Dirt, Asura's Wrath, Condemned.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This is tough only because Microsoft has done a hell of a job already...I’m mostly focusing on original Xbox, as that library hasn’t been tapped as hard as 360...

Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Freedom Fighters

Is Splinter Cell 1 backwards compatible yet?

Def Jam Fight for NY

Alpha Protocol

Fahrenheit

50 CENT BLOOD IN THE SAND

Brothers in Arms: The Road to Hill 30

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER

Chronicles of Riddick

The Darkness

Syndicate

Stubbs The Zombie

Deathrow

Gunvalkyrie

Sega Soccer Slam

Otogi / Otogi 2

WWE All Stars

X-Men Legends

Ghost Recon

Panzer Dragoon Orta (maybe this was recently made BC?)

Galleon

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Sudeki

The Warriors

MisterSims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Warriors. All I want.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simpsons hit and run

the incredible hulk ultimate destruction

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony hawk 2x

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ninja Gaiden 2&3 (Razor's Edge) and Otogi 1&2 would be good. I like SoulCalibur but I remember 4&5 not being great.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Greg

Everything, ultimately. I'd like to play all of those games I loves, plus the ones I never tried.

The ones I really want are:

Jedi Outcast

Brute Force

Soldier of Fortune 2

Splinter Cell

Skyrim (360 version in 4K - My favourite ever Skyrim save is on the 360 version)

Jet Set Radio Future

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay

Timesplitters 2 & 3

SSX Tricky

Two Worlds 1 & 2 (Not even joking)

Rock Band 2

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (They only gave us Peace Walker, FFS)

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

• Jet Set Radio Future - Probably never gonna happen because music licensing.
    • GunValkyrie - Probably no one at Sega even remembers this game existed.
    • Project Sylpheed - Definitely no one at Square Enix remembers this game existed.

I second that.

Moderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skate 2 :/ it was my Skate so to speak.

ElectricViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

As Giant Bomb's sole living expert on Sonic Heroes, you do not want Sonic Heroes available on any platform at any time.

Seconding (thirding?) @babychoochoo for JSRF and GunValkyrie. Honestly I'm most interested in their next wave of OG Xbox stuff. Having access to a library of 360 games is a great feature, but a lot of the games in that silo are cheaper and better looking on PC at this point so I find myself using that feature less. A cleaned up Panzer Dragoon Orta, now that's the sort of shit that should sell Xbox Ones like hotcakes in a fair and just world.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS Collection

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chronicles of riddick and The Warriors, they've put out most of what I care about. was THPS3 on xbox? i was a ps2 guy but itd be nice to play that outside of emulation

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

SSX Tricky would be awesome, SSX 3 turned out amazing on XB One emulation.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Asura's Wrath. It's such a bonkers game that would look even better with upgrades.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NTM

This has been a thread a couple of times I think, and I was thinking about making another one recently but didn't since there has already been some, but this is good. I am more curious about enhanced games though. I still want (and in no particular order) Max Payne 3, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay/Dark Athena, The Darkness, G.R.A.W. 2, Syndicate, Freedom Fighters, The Warriors, the Def Jam games, the F.E.A.R. games and Condemned 2 (although asking Monolith, they said none of their games are likely to make it on back compat, or game remakes/remasters because of their focus on new games and staffing), the Brothers in Arms games, the Crysis trilogy, Singularity (although I didn't care for what I played of it, but I'd only finish it if it became back compat), Goldeneye Reloaded. Yeah, that's just to name the games off the top of my head. There are more for sure.

Edit - TimeSplitters 2 & 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Project Gotham Racing 2. Quietly one of the most relevant racing games of all time deserves its second renaissance.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Nier and Jet Set Radio Future for games I'd love to replay at higher res or more stable framerates, and all the Splinter Cell games for a series I never played and would like to.

RedPhoenix122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.

Also would love BC to come to Windows 10 as well.

Avatar image for michaeltransactions
    michaeltransactions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Original Xbox stuff I would like to see:

• Amped 2
    • Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller
    • Darkwatch
    • Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
    • Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
    • Gunvalkyrie
    • The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction
    • Marc Ecko's Getting Up
    • Otogi 1 & 2
    • The Punisher
    • Red Dead Revolver
    • Shenmue II
    • Star Wars Obi-Wan (It sucks but nostalgia)
    • Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee (Also not great but one of my first games)
    • Stubbs the Zombie
    • Timesplitters 2
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
    • The Warriors
    jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By jacksmedulla

I would love the Metal Gear Solid HD collection to be brought to back compatibility. I have the HD collection for PS3, but I'd have to go buy a Playstation 3 to play it. Unfortunately, those still aren't super cheap yet.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: The Simpsons Hit and Run is a really popular request. I remember that being a popular game but I don't remember it too well, maybe I should check that out.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

@nutter: @jeffrud: Yeah they added Panzer Dragoon Orta like 5 months ago, it got X-Enhanced too :)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Loading Video...
    kzeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notimeforgaming: Eternal Sonata is literally the only reason I still have my 360, been hoping for that to be bc forever now.

MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Otogi 1 and 2 are my top go to after my OG Xbox died.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me Freedom Fighters or give me death

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daniel_newton: Yes! Thanks for letting us know. Genuinely buzzing about this.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daniel_newton: Thanks so much for letting me know buddy! Fingers crossed for Max Payne 3!

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC support.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.