Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360 Games Store

Platform »

Xbox Live Games Store is an online store for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One which allows users to purchase games digitally.

Should I buy XBLA games now or wait untill they're on sale?

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jjnen

I've been craving for some small game that allows me to jump in-and-out quickly. Simply put, an XBLA game. At the moment my XBLA library is empty and I'm looking to get there games like Super Meat Boy, Poker Smash, Portal (even if I already have it on Steam), Geometry Wars 2, Limbo and the list goes on.

The problem with XBLA is that it doesn't recognize decline of value over time (OK, there are some random permanent discounts but nothing universal) so games like Poker Smash - which is over four year old game at this point - are the same price as they were the day they were released. I don't feel like paying the same amount of money as my four years younger self should've paid.

So my question to you, dear GB community, is that should I stop being such a cheapskate and buy the games when I feel like it or wait for the opportunity to represent itself?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It depends on how much you want them. For the most part they don't really get discounted that much. Well, I supposed relative to the original price they it's a high percentage, but if it's a game you want, you might as well just buy it, unless the $3 you might save is worth waiting months or years to play something.

falpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By falpatrick

Buy them when you feel like it... Nothing is ever on sale for very long and it usually takes ages for them to get reduced at all. Buy Bastion right now if you haven't played it yet.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By katimanic

If there is an xbla game you really want I would say just pay full price. However most games have gone on sale at one point or another so waiting isn't that bad of a strategy.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I always wait for sales. Trust me sometimes things go on >50% sales and you end up saving so much.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By fox01313

It's rather hard to tell if or when something goes on sale with XBLA & they tend to be more recent things within the last year or so, with older games tend to not go on sale very much as there's a huge library now.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BrockNRolla

Xbla sales aren't exactly a common occurence, but sometimes you get lucky. More than not, xbla sales are about dlc rather than games. I'd just pick something up if you're into it or you may be waiting a long time.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By david3cm

Some of those game might go on sale, but it would be quite the waiting game. I would say get geometry wars now ( if i recall correctly it is the cheapest of the bunch and has decent replay value) and wait for sales that may or may not include those games later.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jjnen

Thanks for the answers duders! I'll probably end up buying Super Meat Boy or Geometry Wars 2 since they can probably entertain me for a long while and are commonly considered to be great games. I just hate thought of giving Microsoft money because they're choosing to be greedy with their closed marketplace. But then again I'm the one bitching about spending a few bucks on a game with great value so I guess I'm no better.

Oh, and welcome to the forums @katimanic! Hope you'll enjoy your stay.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tomkang

@Rappelsiini: I own super meat boy and love it, but I cannot play it without playing other games inbetween, it is very frustrating for completionists

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jjnen

@Tomkang: Is it easy to get back into after a week or two? As most of gamers seem to be I'm as well a completionists and I would hate to struggle with the same level over and over and over again and just get my blood pressure go through the roof.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By louiedog

It depends on the game. If you want Risk Factions just wait. It'll be on sale 6 times in the next year. If you want some older you should probably just buy it as most sales are typically within a couple of years of release.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tomkang

@Rappelsiini: Normally I get fed up and go play something much more relaxing. I come back to it the next day and play for up to one hour on a level, then i stop. It has great controls so it is my own fault if I fail. Muscle memory is useful to the extent where you want to throw the controller at the screen

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.