Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 11, 2016

A remake of the Korean developed first-person horror game of the same name released for mobile devices, PC and PlayStation 4.

iOS First Impressions (no spoilers)

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have been wanting to play the original 2001 version for a while, but when I heard about the remakes being announced I decided to wait. When I heard that the iOS version was released a few days ago and that the PC/PS4 versions were a long ways off, I went ahead and got it ($3.99 launch sale price on the App Store).

I am enjoying the game so far, but the controls are frustrating. They give you three control styles, none of which seem suitable for a first-person chase simulator. If you can, wait until this is on a platform with better controls. The graphics are pretty great for a low-budget mobile game, and everything seems to run smoothly on my iPhone 6 Plus. So if you can bear the standard first-person touchscreen controls, there's nothing stopping you from having a good time. All in-app purchases are strictly costumes.

One final note: the game only installs a shell from the App Store, and downloads like 2 GB of data on the first launch. Several reviewers encountered errors during the download and are locked out of playing. I didn't have any trouble, but it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on the latest App Store reviews to see if that issue has been addressed.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Thanks for sharing your impressions! I've heard a lot of people mentions the controls and just looking at some videos it seems like it would be a little cumbersome to play a first-person game with a touch screen. I thought I heard that the Android version had some sort of gamepad support so maybe that would be the version to get but I'm not sure about that. I don't own a device that can play White Day so I'll be waiting patiently for a PC or console release. I love the original White Day and the remake looks like it adds a ton of improvements so I can't wait to play it.

Also the graphics are indeed very impressive. Considering that a lot of first-person adventure games, such as Firewatch and the like, only ever show other characters if they are far off in the distance it is really surprising to see a title with such well animated people. The facial animation is especially nice and, if the audio is set to Korean, the lip flaps match up perfectly with the voice acting.

How are you finding the English voice acting by the way? I'm so used to the Korean that I think it would be difficult for me to judge.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@lentfilms: I'm on a weeklong road-trip-with-a-baby this week, so my atmosphere while playing a horror game has been more than slightly compromised, but I'm still having fun with the game. Regarding voice acting, it's not noticeably bad in English. At least par for the eastern horror game course. But I've softened a bit on the controls. If this were an Outlast-style run away simulator they would be awful, but playing on Easy mode, I haven't encountered many action scenarios. It has been a fine way to pass the time riding through Kansas.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

*Nate Dogg voice* Hold up.

White Day is coming to PSVR? How did I not know this!?

Welp. There's my killer app. Now I just need ~$460. Given how much the original game makes me panic and freak out, I can't even conceive of its effectiveness in VR. I need this in my life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.