Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Sep 25, 2001

A boy sneaks into his school at night to plant a chocolate in the desk of the girl he likes. However, things take a turn for the worse as he struggles to survive the supernatural horrors and a possessed janitor that roams the school's corridors.

Running White Day on a Modern PC

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils
    No Caption Provided

With the new remake of White Day: A Labyrinth Named School being released in English for iOS and Android, as well as the PC sometime soon, now seems like a good time to revisit, or experience for the first time, the original Korean classic that started it all. Although it was never officially localized, the original White Day can still be played in English thanks to a fan mod that was released by Unnamed back in 2012 or so. The translated version is freeware and can be easily download from ModDB but what is not so easy is getting the game to run on a modern PC.

I ran into several crashes and bugs when I first attempted to play White Day on my Windows 10 computer and it took me a few months to figure out exactly what I had to do in order to get everything working properly. I've seen other people having similar problems so I thought I'd share the solutions I used so that others can have a smoother White Day experience.

I'll run down some of the common problems I, and many others, have encountered and walk through the solutions to fix them. Now there may be other ways to troubleshoot these problems but this is what I found to work and the game hasn't crashed once since I implemented these fixes. Hopefully they work for your computer but I can only share what I know.

The Floating Door Knob

One of the most common issues people run into when trying to start White Day is being unable to get past the first room. None of the doors work and there are several graphical glitches, such as a door knob floating midair in the center of the room. The reason for this bug is that your computer is not running in the Korean Locale, since this is a Korean title it will not work properly on a computer from a different region. The fan mod got around this by installing AppLocale, a program made by Microsoft that allows applications from any region to run on any computer. However AppLocale does not work on modern Windows operating systems, so even though the fan mod installs the program it won't actually work once you start the game.

The workaround I saw many people suggest online was to use an AppLocale substitute called Locale Emulator. Basically once you install the software you can right-click on a program and run it in any locale that you have created a profile for. I found this to work perfectly but be careful when installing the program because once it is installed you will not be able to move it to another folder. Also make sure to start White Day through the "WhiteDay - Start" executable instead of the one simply labeled "whiteday." The game will start no matter which you click on but the "WhiteDay - Start" executable is more stable while the other crashes randomly.

If for whatever reason you don't want to install Locale Emulator the only other way to run White Day that I know of is to change your computer's system locale to Korean by going to the "Region" option in the Control Panel. This an annoying process since you will need to restart your computer every time you change the locale and you'll need to change it back to your primary locale once you are done playing the game.

Everything Is Running Too Fast

Once White Day is playing in the proper locale you may notice that the game seems to be running fast. Characters move very quickly during gameplay and cut-scenes will be out of sync with the audio.

Always have the game running on the option that begins with
    Always have the game running on the option that begins with "[DX8]"

Now to fix this problem I made the common mistake of changing my graphic card setting to the option beginning with "[DX7]" in the Device Settings tab on the launch menu. This appears to work at first but eventually causes the game to crash later on and messes up some of the lighting effects (such as the match and lighter looking like a flat glowing polygon instead of a flame). So don't do that, keep that setting on "[DX8]" which is what it defaults too anyway.

The actual problem here is that the game is trying to run in DirectX 8 but it can't since it is no longer supported by modern operating systems, at least that is how I understand it. So in order to have White Day run properly in DirectX 8 you will need a wrapper, which is just a simple DLL file that you place in the same folder where the executable is located. There are several different DirectX 8 wrappers out there but I downloaded mine from HERE.

Once the wrapper is placed in the "WHITEDAY" folder the game should run at normal speeds.

Conclusion

So to summarize, in order to run White Day on a Windows 10 computer, or any other modern Windows operating systems, you need to:

1. Download the game from ModDB
    2. Install Locale Emulator in order to run the game in Korean locale
    3. Place a DirectX 8 wrapper in the "WHITEDAY" folder
    4. And always start the game using the "WhiteDay - Start" executable

And that is it! White Day should run perfectly after following all these steps and if it doesn't then I'm not sure I can help you. Everyone's computer is different and this is just what worked for me and should also theoretically work for anyone with a Windows 10 computer. If you have any other kind of technical questions or need help with troubleshooting something I would suggest going to the Unnamed forums, which is the official forum for White Day's fan translation. I found some of the solutions to my problems there and I'm sure the people there could help you more than I could.

I hope this blog was helpful and have fun playing White Day!

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I probably won't ever play this, but thanks for sharing! I always appreciate when people post things like this somewhere to help others!

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skytylz: Thank you. I had so much trouble playing White Day initially but the steps for getting it to run properly were actually fairly simple. Made me wish that there had been a guide so I made one myself.

If you are interested in first-person horror games, similar to Amnesia, I would highly recommend giving the game, or its remake, a try.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#3 riostarwind  Moderator

I ended up using this guide to make White Day work on windows 10. At first I kept having the issue of the game speeding up even after I put DX8 into the folder. I ended up clicking the third option on the device setting menu and swapping whatever that was to the other option. Whatever that did slowed the game back down to its normal speed.

Once I got into the game it seemed alright. It does a good job of building a creepy atmosphere and crazy janitor really kept me worried about him showing up again. The puzzle design seems like it could get annoying if running around all the rooms is going to be a constant design choice. I ended up having to play the last part of chapter one again and I appreciate that the dialogue choices have some impact on the narrative. Got a different outcome the second time around. Overall this seems like a neat game and I'm glad you put this blog together.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@riostarwind: I'm really happy to hear you found the blog helpful! The puzzles in White Day can be a little obtuse at times so don't be shy about looking up a guide for hints every now and then to avoid frustration. But, considering what the game does well and its vintage, I think it is well worth getting through some annoying puzzles now and then. A remake of White Day came out for mobile phones earlier this year and is being ported to the PC sometime soon, which appears to have redesigned a lot of the puzzles to be less confusing.

To be on the safe side, I would create multiple saves while playing the game in case you run into bugs or crashes. Sounds like you have everything running fine but if the fire for the match item looks like a flat glowing polygon instead of a flame you might not have everything running perfectly. But hopefully you should be fine.

Thanks again for reading the blog and I hope you enjoy the game!

Samcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thanks for the guide, stuff like this brings me back to before the Unnamed patch when that enemy in the music room would launch you out of the map. Any idea what would be causing it to crash in Win10 right after the boss fight in the first level?

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@samcb: Glad to hear you enjoyed the guide!

I'm not sure what could be causing the game to crash without running down a very long checklist of possibilities. It could have something to do with your settings or it could just be a bug in the game itself, even with the right set-up White Day is still a pretty glitchy game. If the problem persists even after loading an older save or restarting the game I would recommend going over to the Unnamed forums and see if anyone is having a similar problem or make a post and see if someone can help you out.

SailorElsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hi, I've been having trouble figuring out how to download the directx8 wrapper. The site is just a little confusing for me I'm just so embarrassed to admit that but it is. I just wanted to know what to click and what not to click and from there I can do the rest.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@sailorelsie: Yeah, you just click on the arrow next to where it says "ENBSeries DX8 to DX9 Convertor v0.035". The file you want is "d3d8.dll". However I wrote this guide a few years ago and I'm not sure if my method will still work, I think there was a Windows 10 update that messed something up, but I hope that helps.

SailorElsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bowl-of-lentils: I went on to download the directx8 wrapper and and installed locale emulator. I placed the directx8 wrapper in the white day folder but I think I only made it worse because when I run the game there are so many graphical glitches and for some reason the floating Korean girl that I always get when starting the game just looks more creepy than usual. Unrelated I just wanted to share that unintentional horror the game created accidentally. I don't know how to fix this and I honestly can't find anything new on running this game properly. I really want to play this game so bad because I love older games and I do wanna play the remake but I kinda prefer the aesthetic of the original. I don't wanna bother but I just wanted to know if you have any suggestions to fix my problem.

SailorElsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bowl-of-lentils: I went on to download the directx8 wrapper and and installed locale emulator. I placed the directx8 wrapper in the white day folder but I think I only made it worse because when I run the game there are so many graphical glitches and for some reason the floating Korean girl that I always get when starting the game just looks more creepy than usual. Unrelated I just wanted to share that unintentional horror the game created accidentally. I don't know how to fix this and I honestly can't find anything new on running this game properly. I really want to play this game so bad because I love older games and I do wanna play the remake but I kinda prefer the aesthetic of the original. I don't wanna bother but I just wanted to know if you have any suggestions to fix my problem.

I also just wanted to add that sometimes it just crashes while loading the game.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@sailorelsie: Okay, It looks like the White Day fan translation was updated after I wrote this guide in 2016 and basically everything I wrote is unnecessary now. If you go to the fan translation's ModDB page you can download the game itself here (which is v15.4). After you install the game make sure to download the v16.3 update patch here and update the game. This will create a new launcher for the game and if you click on the "Advanced" tab on the launcher there will be an option to "Use ENB DX8>9 Wrapper" which will fix the game running too fast. The new launcher will also automatically use Locale Emulator to change the region for the game so you don't have to do anything. However, when I tried it, Locale Emulator didn't seem to be working, which is most likely because the patch is using an older version of Locale Emulator that doesn't work with the latest version of Windows 10. So what you need to do is go to the file called "LE" in White Day's directory and uninstall the the version of Locale Emulator they have in there. You do this by clicking on "LEInstaller.exe", make sure to run it as an administrator, and just click uninstall. Then just drag the latest version of Locale Emulator, which you can get here, into that file and install it. After all that the game should work, at least it did for me. I would uninstall whatever version of White Day and Locale Emulator you currently have installed and just follow these steps. If it still doesn't work I would recommend commenting on the ModDB for the translation or checking out the White Day Wiki for additional help. Hope that works for you.

SailorElsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SailorElsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bowl-of-Lentils would you happen to know how to fix the black screen bug with the remake?

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sailorelsie: No, sorry. I actually haven't played that much of the remake myself. Try Googling around and hopefully you'll find a solution.

doofface99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bowl-of-lentils

So i followed basically all the steps in your tutorial except getting the DX8-DX9 wrapper, which I didn't need. I installed the game and installed the locale emulator, set up a profile for Korean, and the game was running fine.

However, due to a glitch with the game always choosing the wrong response in one of the cutscenes (despite me clicking the exact opposite choice) I thought it might be worth trying to install the wrapper to see if that would help.

When that only screwed things up, I decided to completely start over. I tried uninstalling the entire game and deleting all the game files, as well as uninstalling the emulator. I then reinstalled everything. I'm now using the patched version with the built-in wrapper that you linked to later in the comments. However, now the emulator isn't working. Any time I try to run the game in Korean using the emulator, this error message pops up:

No Caption Provided

I can still open the game and run it despite this error message, but I can't open my inventory or pause the game, which makes it impossible to play.

Obviously it seems that there's a problem with the emulator now, but what? Do you know anything I can do to troubleshoot?

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@doofface99: So I believe the v16.3 patch uses an older version of Locale Emulator to automatically set the game's locale to Korean in the launcher. I know you said you reinstalled Locale Emulator but you also need to uninstall the version of Locale Emulator in White Day's files (it contained in a folder called "LE" in White Day's directory). Uninstall the version of Locale Emulator in that file and reinstall the latest version of the program in that folder. If you have already tried that or it still doesn't work then I don't know if I can help you.

doofface99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bowl-of-lentils: How do I uninstall/reinstall the Locale Emulator? I used LEInstaller.exe to uninstall, but the files remain.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doofface99: I think you may have to restart your computer.

doofface99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bowl-of-lentils: Still not working. Thanks for the help anyways. I guess I'll try changing my region to Korea and see if that works. Will that change my computer language to Korean?

ProjektRED267

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the game to work but I encountered a gema breaking bug. As soon as I beat the ghost tree the game crashed. Tried starting a new save file 3 times but the same thing happened. Anyone have the solutions for this problem? I uninstalled the game for now maybe I’ll try it again sometime.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@projektred267: Sorry, I'm not sure what would be causing that problem. I guess just make sure everything is installed correctly and try again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.