Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Apr 27, 2017

Dawn of War III is the 8th release in Relics esteemed Warhammer 40.000 RTS franchise and will have a much larger strategic component to it than previous titles, focusing on a more of a global battle while still retaining the squad-based action from previous titles.

Gameplay footage

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Sega just released the first gameplay footage of the game. Apparently a longer extended demo is happening on the 24th but for now this is what we got.

I have to say a lot of that looks super pretty and the amount of rendering and destruction on screen is pretty amazing. I'm sad that the Blood Ravens are beating up on my Eldar but they do make it look pretty. Also that Imperial Knight is tearing it up but I wonder why all the Brightlances don't start focusing on it? Oh right it's a demo.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I think this was the trailer shown at the PCGamer/AMD show? Either way, it looks super promising so I can't wait to see more.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: Yeah you can see almost the identical screenshots that were taken from this demo. Its nice to Gabriel back in the Fray as Chapter Master now. Curious who the Eldar and Ork heroes will be.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It has a weird cartoony look that I am not sure I like for Warhammer, but I'll play it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I really don't like the look of this that much. I am disappointed it didn't continue in the DoW II direction. Groups of soldiers just standing around vs the old cover system... no thanks.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CheapPoison

This seemed really underwhelming and way too close to Dawn of War 2. It might be fun, but I doubt it will have much lasting appeal for me.

Also, the scale seem really off!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I am disappointed it didn't continue in the DoW II direction.

This seemed really underwhelming and way too close to Dawn of War 2.

*shrug*

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

It is not actually like Dawn of War 2 much though. It is clearly much more like 1. I think there's just a bit of the hero feel when you bring in a super unit. The lack of a cover system is a pretty clear example. Plus it has base building and everything.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm down for sure. But it would have been nice to see a little more.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmmphf. So i watched the longer gameplay from the eurogamer video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Wn7YUGaWI and am now a little more wary.

Loading Video...

There indeed seems to be like no cover mechanics at all (aside from those specific eldar shield bubbles) in that whole 12 mins of game play footage. I was willing to write it off as just not being in the original video posted above, but if they indeed completely removed that system it will be disappointing.

Unlike a lot of youtube comments and like I said above I don't mind the cleaner art style. For all it's grit the art of DoW2 had it's own share of issues (like unnecessarily bogging down performance with bad tapered on visual effects). And a snappier response/control gameplay is something I can totally appreciate, which indeed was one of my nitpicks with DoW2.

But, Gabriel Angelos ... man disappointing all around. Different voice actor. Why? It's just after so may games and their expansions I got completely used to that voice. Now he sounds, generic. Secondly. Flips? Really, flips flaps and pirouettes in terminator armour all over the place ... cmon. If you want to have a jumping mobile character, put him in regular armor and give him a jetpack, problem solved. Shit terminator armour specifically has teleportation if that's needed. You also don't need fucking ninja flips to make force hammer smashing look cool or powerful. We have a whole set of previous games to prove that already. It makes a dude wearing terminator armour and wielding a force hammer seem weightless, instead of a powerful unstoppable tank. It just doesn't jell at all.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd very much enjoy some characteristics of DoW 1 making a return. I never really enjoyed DoW 2 nearly as much as I did the first, even though Retribution was a lot of fun. Plus CoH improved the RTS formula in comparable ways without the game becoming too close to some low-grade ARPG.

A clever mix of DoW 1&2 could really get me excited, I think. WH40k on its own does that rather well to begin with. I'm into the new graphics - they're not neccessarily better but I can roll with 'em based on first impressions.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they don't have decent cover mechanics I'll be really surprised since it's been integral to both DoW1 and 2 along with CoH. Probably trying to show off the flashy stuff right now just to grab attention. At least that's my hope. We'll see.

I'm also not a big fan of space marines without jump packs flipping through the air. I understand wanting to be visually interesting but there's enough interesting stuff going to leave the big aerials to specific units.

But, hey, I'd be a liar if didn't admit I'm super excited to be playing a new Dawn of War game.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Uhh, framerate?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.