Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vampyr

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 05, 2018

A horror action-RPG developed by Dontnod Entertainment. In Vampyr the player takes control of a vampiric doctor during the 1918 'Spanish flu' pandemic in London.

Vampyr (Dontnod) at Gamescom 2016

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Just got finished watching the GamesCom. I'm actually very impressed I was not expecting the 3rd person view combat. I figured ist woudl be another dilague/puzzle game like Life Is Strange, but it combines Life Is Strange with combat, item collection and investigating. It brutal looking too, it has lots of knife in-flesh sounds and 'Wilhelm screams'.

I have to admit this is a very different and very interesting type of gameplay that I was not expecting from Dontnod Entertainment. If people thought Dontnod needed to show they were more than just serial avdnure game company; I think they succeeded while showing ambition with what was shown.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By odinsmana

I thought the combat in Remember me was pretty boring, but this at least seems better so I have some hope. I am not quite sold on the RPG elements either yet. The setting is cool though and they have showed that they can craft a good story (in LiS, I remember the Remember me (heh) story being pretty bad) so I have some cautious optimism for this game.

I also didn`t like Remember me at all so that kinda only increases my caution.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did make Remember Me before, even though that game had issues I liked it. I'm looking forward to this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm optimistic about the player choice stuff and the writing since most of the team who worked on Life is Strange is working on this, and I really love LiS.

I'm worried about the combat turning out clunky or not varied enough. It's hard to tell much from just this early gameplay demo.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Yeah this is not really that shocking from them given they did Remember Me before.

My worry with this one is the combat and I can't say it looks strong in the video. The only thing I'm liking from that is the dodge move. The rest looks stiff and the impact of your strikes and moves is pretty weak.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I dunno if you're confusing Dontnod with a different company but they've made 2 games, one of them is a third person action game, one is life is strange. Them making another third person action game isn't surprising at all.

Will I play this? I dunno. I like the music in the video, but is that enough.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Remember Me is highly underrated. For fans of sci-fi it is a goddamn treat as the setting and world they create is simply amazing. The combat is a bit clunky and takes a bit of getting used to but that entire game was full of awesome ideas that for the most part came together. They tie everything to "memory tech" so much better than Assassins Creed it's insane. Once you realize that fighting is basically played like a music rhythm game more than a God of War that too can be sort of fun as you fight to keep your "combo" going as long as possible.

I really wish they made a sequel to Remember Me but if Vampyr has as much attention to detail then it's probably going to be pretty interesting as well. If nothing else their games have a ton of heart and great ideas put in 'em.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I have no idea what to make of this video as far as impressions. I didn't see anything bad but I didn't see anything exciting either. I really hope it turns out great but that combat didn't look particularly fun and the dialogue was just okay. The character menu with relations and health is what I'm interested in. Wonder how they'll weave that's all weaved into the game.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be cool. I'll see how it shapes up

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: The combat was basically Batman, but nowhere near as smooth. Combo lab thing sounded good at the time though, too bad the actual execution contradicted the idea.
    The memory tampering was definitely the best thing that game had going, would've liked to see a sequel with it as focus.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aktivity: The combat was all about inputing your own combos that replenished health or the special gauge or caused damage. Since you setup your own combos and were able to create longer strings over the span of the game that let you create your very own setups. Make a quick three hit light combo to recover some health and then a long 9 hit string that ended in massive damage. The trick was dancing around the battlefield long enough to execute on the full 9 hit string and there was a weird cadence to inputing the hits - to me it felt like a rhythm game because you couldn't just mash it out. Batman is very action and reaction based, very frantic. Remember Me forced you to take it slow even when a ton of stuff was happening all around which was awkward but kind of cool once you got the hang of it. I mean I'm not going to sit here and say it was an awesome combat system but it was very novel at least and it wasn't that bad to ruin the rest of the game for me. The powers or skills were pretty cool in how they tied into memory manipulation.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The combat doesn't look so hot from this video, but it sure is moody.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: You don't really make your combos though, the strings are set. You merely choose what effect you apply to them. The enemies had a big sign above their head before attacks and mostly attacked one at a time. You even had the freeflow combat from Batman, constantly zipping between npc's. And for some dumb reason they locked the combo strings to story progression, by the time I got access to the longest string it was near endgame. They did almost everything they could to sabotage the cool idea they had of making your own combos, I was really disappointed at the time.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By hassun

Animation is pretty bad still and they probably shouldn't focus on the faces too much if they're not going to get even close to lip syncing. Other than that I'm interested.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aktivity: I mean you could customize them, you just had to plug in the X or Y you wanted into the string. But honestly this is veering way off course in a thread about Vampyr. The main thing that has me worried is all the trash he finds strewn about making it seem like this game will have some ever so popular crafting system in it. The last thing I want to do in a moody and atmospheric game about vampires is go looking through every shelf to find 5 cloth for my next vampire pouch upgrade.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: yeah ive had it sitting in my steam library for awhile. thought the look of it alone was really eye catching. might fire it up tonight.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Humanity

@ripelivejam: the setting and everything involving it is really spectacular in my opinion. It's a shame the gameplay is a bit "stiff" but man I loved everything about that world. Game had sttyyyyyyylle for days.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ezekiel

@humanity said:

@ripelivejam: the setting and everything involving it is really spectacular in my opinion. It's a shame the gameplay is a bit "stiff" but man I loved everything about that world. Game had sttyyyyyyylle for days.

Yeah, the art direction was great. Some pictures I took:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BN43/screenshots/?appid=228300&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall#scrollTop=0

I just wish the combat were more fleshed out and the game allowed you to climb and jump freely instead of having this uninvolving automatic system that only activates with precise platforms.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Remember Me was great. Feels like I'm alone in that opinion. Thought it had really great art direction. Looking forward to this.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it isn't bogged down by the combat like remember me was. That game had an actual cool premise for combat(witch creating your own combo's) but it didn't really come together that well. The best part was pretty similar to life is strange except it was only in memories, they needed more of that stuff. This game seems to be missing a core mechanic to make it unique, but i guess we will see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.