Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

UnderMine

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Aug 29, 2019

UnderMine is an underground roguelike where items, gear, and gold are passed to the next character upon death.

Roguelite games perfect for exercise

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tartyron

Hey all. so, for the past month or so, I'm been doing well with using a desk cycle, a short pedal thing sorta like what Jeff G has mentioned once or twice. I set it up in front of my couch and I'm going for 20 miles or 60 minutes each day with it, whichever comes last. While doing this, I've been playing the roguelite Undermine, which is exactly the correct level of engagement to distract me that I'm all sweaty and stay on the ride. It's been super effective, and I only play that game on the bike, but I'm approaching the end and I'm a little worried about my new healthy habit continuing. I'm planning on hitting up Rogue Legacy 2 once I'm done, but it would be handy to get a few other recommendations. And I know there are giant lists out there, but I mean what YOU have enjoyed and you think might fit the bill. I'll also add some LOOSE criteria to narrow it down. None of these are meant to kill an idea, just for what seems to work best.

-Action oriented without too much time spend in menus or tweaking so I'm mashing those buttons as much as possible

-Large unlock system is helpful to stay engaged and kill the most time. The goal is to play every day for at least an hour, so the bigger the better.

-2D seems easier for my tired brain to cope with. I tried this with Elden Ring and other polygonal games and my spacial awareness just doesn't cope.

-Story lite, or at least not long interruptions from game play are handy too, since I'm playing for distraction more than plot.

-Not Binding of Isaac. It's a great game but it's also fucking disgusting and all the scatalogical stuff in it didn't sit well with me. In fact, lighter themes over death and despair mesh better with exercise for me.

-Great soundtrack helps but I can play my own music too.

Anyway, any recs? Also, in the realm of physical health, anyone else using one of these desk cycle things? Playing non ring-fit/wii-fit type games while exercising?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played games on the treadmill for a long time and the one that worked the absolute best for me was Monster Train. It's not action based (it's a deck builder) but it is fast paced and a ton of fun, and the daily run thing is fantastic and introduces a ton of variety. I have also had a decent time with DIablo style games of various kinds. Nobody Saves The World is not technically a roguelite but plays a lot like one and has randomized dungeons.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, thank! Looks like Monster Train in on Gamepass too, so that's perfect. I actually almost never play CCGs but I remember Ben raving about it. I played Nobody Saves The World a while back and it was good but....similar to Borderlands it seemed to be trying too hard to be funny in a way that wasn't to my taste. I believe Dan mentioned a similar take on it, like it would be great if you took all the jokes out.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh so you're looking for Game Pass games specifically?

Have you played Enter the Gungeon? It's fantastic.

Dreamscaper is good too but it has some slow periods in between runs where you talk to people.

Same is true for Hades and Children of Morta, though both are good (and Hades is much better than good.)

Dead Cells is good. Forager is not a roguelike but I really found it good on the treadmill.

Going Under is...okay. Not my favorite but decent.

The Ascent is not a Roguelike at all but is a fun action RPG that might work.

Dandy Ace is okay though lacks variety.

Nuclear Throne is apparently buggy on platforms other than PC.

Dicey Dungeons is great but turn based.

Sorry I realize I just rattled off a ton of games.

You should also play Deaths Door. It's a Zelda-like not a rogue like but it's a ton of fun and might work while working out. Tunic might be a bit hard because it requires more spacial awareness.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tartyron

Actually, any platform is good as my PC is hooked up to my TV and I got luck with a PS5 stock a few months ago. I'm not limited to one platform, but I do check gamepass literally any time I get a recommendation because it just means I already have it. I don't mind buying stuff outside the gamepass ecosystem, though.

Gungeon a hit the wall with last year. Might go back

Hades I broke my controller on. Literally, I busted the right stick I played it so much.

Morta I played twice already.

Dead Cells never clicked for me. Kept handing me my ass.

Never heard of Going under, I'll take a peek.

The Ascent will go on the list despite being 3D just because it does seem like it would fit the bill. Hopefully my eyes adjust to the 3D while pedaling (seriously, it's like half my brain turns off when exerting myself)

Dandy Ace I've never heard of. Adding to the explore list.

Nuclear Throne I have seen but never tried, on the list now.

Dicey Dungeons IS great! Not what I'm looking for while pedaling, but I promote more people playing it!

I just realized I may have asked for recommendations in a genre that I've played to death, haha.

Deaths Door, Tunic, Hollow Knight, all for some reason rubbed me the wrong way and I could not enjoy the whimsy. I can't place why, but all three I tried to pick up multiple times. I even got a ways into Tunic and just...no. And it sucks because I feel like I'm wrong to not like it, it theoretical contains tons of stuff I like elsewhere.

Thanks man. The goal is to keep the exercise moving and this definitely contributes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.