Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 10, 2016

Naughty Dog charts treasure hunter Nathan Drake's final adventure in the fourth entry of this action-adventure, swash-buckling saga.

Let's talk about Chapter 4.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#1  Edited By donutfever

I know we're not even halfway through the year, and we've got The Last Guardian, Persona 5, and South Park coming. But it's going to be hard to top "Playing Crash Bandicoot" for Best Moment.

It was a nice nod to Naughty Dog's history, with a lot of great throwbacks like the PS1 startup sound. The banter between Nate and Elena felt real, when usually I think most writers either mess up the gamer or the non-gamer. It was a great character moment, just going on in the background while you actually played Crash Bandicoot.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I literally could not believe what I was seeing. How did they pull that off? Doesn't Activision own Crash now?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I thought it was pretty great and a touching moment. That said, Crash Bandicoot doesn't have difficulty settings! They were doing so well except for that one thing!

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That whole house scene is fantastic, but yeah seeing the PS1 boot up was a great moment.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I agree. Going into this fresh was great as this whole scene was unexpected. I must admit, I had my doubts about this game but so far I am loving it!

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

yea what an absolutely fantastic moment, plus that house is like, Gone Home levels of detailed, I spent a good bit of time just walking around looking at toothpaste and stacks of clothes.

Shinmaru007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly can't believe they nailed something that could've easily been horribly self-indulgent. Also, it's been so long since I played Crash Bandicoot that it was actually as exciting as Uncharted, somehow -- I actually cheered a bit when I nailed all the platforming and finished the level.

Also loved Drake's "shootout" with the toy gun in the attic. You adorable scamp.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I purposely died just to hear more Elena shittalking Nate and Nate not understanding the concept of video games. "What happened? I died? I would've just climbed out of the pit!"

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I really liked Elena shit talking me while playing. The conversation felt incredibly natural and must have been a nightmare to script.

Also, deciding to force you to play that and put it right at the beginning was Kojima as fuck.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that entire chapter is one of my favorite moments in any game of the last couple years. Nate playing with the toy gun in the attic, the believable banter between Nate and Elena, the entire PS1 sequence. It's so so so good.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess they had to work with Activision to make this happen? Regardless, it was pretty cool.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

That whole chapter is amazing.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I loved it, but the controls for Crash were sort of poor. There was a weird latency or something. I caught myself getting a little bummed out I wasn't picking up as many fruits as I could see I was running into, either. Still loved everything about that chapter, though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I loved the Crash games and beat all of them to super completion.

But I missed the last fucking jump on my last life and Elena won this dumb thing. ARGH

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

This warmed the cockles of my heart like nothing else. I was laughing in disbelief during the entire sequence, and the nostalgia wave hit me hard. This is one of the best throwback references I can ever remember.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I joked to my buddy as they mentioned beating a high score, that they better let me fucking play Crash Bandicoot and then it happened. That was a great moment.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By flippyandnod

They even emulated the non-perspective correct triangles of the PS1 (the "pucker" in poly textures closest to you).

How many things did you shoot in the attic? I shot the lights (both the open fixtures and the ones with guards over them), the hanging discs, the bottles on the cabinets, the chair and the globe. All those things move. Some others, like the object he first picks up as you enter the room.

Is the Vita game represented in his reminiscences? It isn't one of the things you can mention when Sam asks about your exploits. And I doesn't the Vita game take place in Panama?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@flippyandnod: Shot enough to get the "Still Got It!" achievement, which made me laugh more than it should have.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

I loved it, but the controls for Crash were sort of poor. There was a weird latency or something. I caught myself getting a little bummed out I wasn't picking up as many fruits as I could see I was running into, either. Still loved everything about that chapter, though.

Well, when I played all the original games back in last year, the controls really were pretty janky for the first game, so maybe they were being too authentic?

I already said in another thread, that this'll probably be my favourite moment in gaming this year. The whole chapter was already great even before Crash happened, but man, when it did...I haven't laughed out loud while playing a game in ages, at least not as much as I did with this.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

That whole chapter put a big grin on my face. I've only felt that close to characters twice before, and those games were Persona 4 and Mass Effect 2.

The MOMENT I saw a PS1 I had shivers.

I can't wait to see what else is in this game, am only up to about chapter 8 or 9.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was so good, me and my fiancée started cheering!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I just watched the Nerd3 video on Uncharted 4. That part seems amazingly dumb :D

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may be one of the best "Easter Eggs' in all of videogames.

Also, I've heard grumbling/rumors that Crash Bandicoot is getting a remake/reboot/update.

Didn't the IP rights expire with Activision?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By glots

@ozzdog12 said:

It may be one of the best "Easter Eggs' in all of videogames.

Also, I've heard grumbling/rumors that Crash Bandicoot is getting a remake/reboot/update.

Didn't the IP rights expire with Activision?

I guess this is sorta on-topic, since Crash is the star here, but it was the VA of Neo Cortex who sprouted some rumours around.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/dr-neo-cortex-may-teased-crash-bandicoot-revival-ps4/

The "problem" here is, that Lex Lang voiced Cortex in the later games (I think Activision published all of those?), which are not as...uh, fondly remembered as the original trilogy.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ozzdog12: According to Adam Boyes, Activision still has the rights to Crash.

PeZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can you actually beat the score? What happens if you do?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pez: you can. I think you get a trophy.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was cool, never played the original so not much stalgia for the game in specific but definitely dope seeing the ps1 boot up screen lol. And i wouldn't doubt 90% of that dialog was ad-libbed.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pez said:

You have to collect all the fruit and not die. Time matters a little bit but not nearly as much as those two aspects.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That whole chapter did put a big smile on my face and the end interaction between them was genuinely touching and felt as real as videogame people can feel.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I got serious chills, God it came out of no where I got so pumped it was so fucking cool hats off naughty dog

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

it was a really good moment...one I am glad wasn't spoiled for me before hand. Honestly, that's been my opinion of this whole game so far. A+

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Man, their bed was messy. Make the bed guys!

But yea, what a sequence. So good at humanising characters.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RonGalaxy

The fact that sony doesn't even own Crash Bandicoot makes this even better, because they, probably, had to do a lot of leg work to make the appearance happen.

It reminds me of when you play mgs1 in mgs4. It's so dumb, but so good!

Also, having to use the dpad to move. God damnit, it's so perfect!!!

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rethla

@zirilius said:
    @pez said:

You have to collect all the fruit and not die. Time matters a little bit but not nearly as much as those two aspects.

Can you really? I tried like 20 times and the closest i got was around 300points off the record, i did not miss 30apples (that gives you 10points each) and timewise i was close to perfect. I have watched some youtubeclips of that achievment and they are all done in the epilogue part of the game where you get to Crash. Playing Crash in the epilogue gives you an extralife right in the start for an additional 500points which makes getting the trophy a cakewalk. I dont think its possible to beat Elena in chapter 4.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale: How dare you post a not spoiler spoiler, bastard.

ultimateforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most fun I've had in this game is playing Crash Bandicoot. That really says a lot about how boring this game truly is.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure you can't beat her score.

END GAME SPOILERS: PROCEED WITH CAUTION

As Nate. When you get to play it again at the end they added an extra life box which is an extra 500 points. I played the chapter 4 attempt many times and it just isn't possible with the amount of fruit given. It also seems like the boulder is way more likely to hit you. It kinda sucks that they did this instead of allowing him to beat it, giving a different outcome with Elena.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.