Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 10, 2016

Naughty Dog charts treasure hunter Nathan Drake's final adventure in the fourth entry of this action-adventure, swash-buckling saga.

Help me get over my inability to play sequels

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By alistercat

Update: After playing Uncharted 1 over the weekend I decided to compromise and skip 2 and 3 for now. Time for Uncharted 4!

It's a problem a lot of people have. Even Vinny, I think. I can't just jump randomly in to a series. I have to start from the beginning. This game seems incredible though, and hearing how amazing Uncharted 2 seemed at the time makes me want to play this right now. While it's still impressive. I have the Uncharted Collection so I can play 2 but I worry that something that was impressive 7? years ago isn't any more. I'm a sucker for visual spectacles and production values.

I don't know how to get over this intense feeling that prevents me from jumping in to media. My options are to not play it, to just play it, or to play the 3 uncharted games by next tuesday so I can pick up Uncharted 4.

There probably isn't a solution to this problem. Knowing that I don't have to have played the previous entries isn't enough to release the anxiety. It may not even be an issue that can be reasoned with.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If it helps at all, the Uncharted games are still visually spectacular with great production values. Maybe 1 doesn't hold up, but I've been playing 3 on PS4 (which I never got around to) and it is a GREAT looking game, with fantastic voice acting.

That won't resolve the general problem, but if you're into spectacle and production values you'll probably have a great time playing the Nathan Drake collection.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Uncharted 1 is the only one I've touched out of that collection and it feels a little rough. Like an early PS3 game. Which it is, so that makes sense. I know that's not looked at as what makes uncharted great but like I said, this problem makes me feel the need to play it anyway.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@alistercat: I watched a friend of mine play through Uncharted 1 in 1 sitting once. He got through 2 and 3 within a week. You can do it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to replay all of them before 4 and wouldn't recommend trying to play them all in a weekend. I was genuinely surprised with how enjoyable playing through the first game was and blew through it in a weekend and then did it again for the speed run trophy. Jumped right into two and got burnt out almost immediately. I loved it when it first came up, but boy howdy it takes a long time to get going, goes on way too long, and has an awful final act. There are also far too many enemies with helmets in 2. I was a little worried if I'd even bother to finish 3 before 4 came out since 2 felt so monotonous, but again was pleasantly surprised. 3 is pretty much the perfect Uncharted game. The pacing and story are far superior to 2, the graphics are incredible, the locations are more interesting, the epic cinematic set pieces are much more epic, and there are a couple nice gameplay changes.

2 may be praised for being a giant step forward from one, but it almost feels like a rehash of the first game. Having played them all back to back, I definitely enjoyed 2 the least. 4 is likely going to be just more Uncharted so there's a high chance of burnout if you're playing 30 hours of Uncharted then jumping straight into 15 more.

If you're a sucker for visual spectacles and production values, just play through 3 this weekend.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The originals played just fine for me when I first tried them a few months ago. Just do it. You'd probably be fine just skipping to 4 though if not.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Uncharted 1 is the only one I've touched out of that collection and it feels a little rough. Like an early PS3 game. Which it is, so that makes sense. I know that's not looked at as what makes uncharted great but like I said, this problem makes me feel the need to play it anyway.

Yeah Uncharted 1 is...for its time it was a decent game (I played it on PS3 in 2010, and it was already showing its age.) It's not that long a game, though, and it's not bad. 2 really improves on things (there's a reason it was GOTY on this site) and 3, so far, is in the same mold as 2 with, in my opinion, more sophisticated writing and a more interesting setting (though most people prefer 2 to 3.)

Have you considered putting the games on easy and just cruising through them? Uncharted isn't a particularly difficult series and if what you want is just the story and spectacle you get that just as well on easy.

My point was mostly that this isn't an example of where you'd have to gut out playing some games that have aged terribly in order to be able to play the new hotness. UIncharted (at least 2 and 3) have aged pretty well and been spruced up in the Nathan Drake collection.

You're not going to change the way you think about games before next Tuesday, but if you do decide to binge on Nathan Drake at least it will be a fun ride.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: You're a grown human being (probably, maybe not) just play the fourth one. Put the disc in the thingy and start playing it. It's not hard. If you continue to feel that you can't possibly go on without playing the others then stop and play the others. It's no big deal. But you should try just playing 4 first. The only way to break the desire is to break the desire.

If it's any consolation, they're not great games ;)

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I've never actually played more than an hour of the first Uncharted. I think you'd be better off just skipping to two and playing through that and three. Though, at the same time, by the time 4 comes out you may be burned out on so much Uncharted in such a small time-span.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arabes: I dunno, that sounds a lot like "you're an adult, just don't be depressed/scared". It feels like a similar psychological block. Something deeply ingrained.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You realize that if you start playing the older games and decide you want to just play the new one, you're allowed to do that. I don't understand the hangup if you already own the collection. Maybe it's a completionist thing.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

2 and 3 are very much worth playing, but you could always just look up the cutscenes on YouTube to catch yourself up in a few hours. I imagine there are some decent "movie" cuts of gameplay and cutscenes out there.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play the other 3 before going into 4 of course.

I don't understand the point of jumping into a sequel without the others unless it's something where the stories are disconnected(persona) or not at the forefront(Souls)

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Always thought the Uncharted series was overrated. They look impressive, but that's about it. No fun gameplay in them. Pretty shallow and straightforward. I'm obviously in the minority that thinks this though. If Uncharted 4 is great, I'd play that before finishing up 2 or starting 3, as I disliked 2.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazybagman: if it was that simple it wouldn't be a problem. Logically I know I can just move on. In my own self interest I should just ignore that feeling, but I can't.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arabes: I dunno, that sounds a lot like "you're an adult, just don't be depressed/scared". It feels like a similar psychological block. Something deeply ingrained.

So... don't play 4 yet then. Just play 2 and 3 because you already own them anyway, and then decide if you want to get 4 still?

I think the actual problem you have here is that you're buying into everyone else's hype. The game isn't going to up and disappear while you play the other ones at your own pace.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Slightly misleading title, lol.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Always thought the Uncharted series was overrated. They look impressive, but that's about it. No fun gameplay in them. Pretty shallow and straightforward. I'm obviously in the minority that thinks this though. If Uncharted 4 is great, I'd play that before finishing up 2 or starting 3, as I disliked 2.

They have good stories and performances too.

The gameplay is...adequate. I think The Last of Us had more interesting gameplay, with a greater focus on stealth and the crafting and resource management choices.

Uncharted is just kind of Gears light with some VERY light platforming elements.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By alistercat

@teddie said:

@alistercat said:

So... don't play 4 yet then. Just play 2 and 3 because you already own them anyway, and then decide if you want to get 4 still?

I think the actual problem you have here is that you're buying into everyone else's hype. The game isn't going to up and disappear while you play the other ones at your own pace.

Hype is rarely an issue for me. I'm more worried about it becoming less impressive if I don't play it when it is new. Not hype, I mean as a technical piece. It's happened before, and I'm worried it's the case with the previous uncharted games. I could just see if it does, because it's not a big deal, but it highlights the wider problem I have with having to do things in order and fully. Not skipping ahead even if it seems like the right thing to do.

Knowing I would be better served by not giving in to the impulse to do everything from the beginning is what gives me this conflict.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Humanity

@alistercat: The only Uncharted I ever played was Uncharted 2, and I will pick up Uncharted 4 without a worry in the world that I've missed something. This can't be said for every long running series, but in this particular case I don't think it's a huge problem, even if Uncharted 3 had all this story in it.

Ultimately it's on you. I would say screw it, just play UC4 and have fun, order be damned. Of course if not having played the previous games is a huge problem for you, like it will be a nagging feeling that won't let you enjoy this newest entry, then simply play the older games. If you don't want to play the older games then just skip this altogether because there is no other option.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The uncharted trilogy is 100% worth playing and has aged very well (except for 1, but it got a lot more work done on it in the collection that offsets that).

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

That's pretty much how I feel. Subpar shooting, qtes that are impressive once, some good writing and impressive production values but completely forgettable story. Having just recently finished TLOU, I'm especially bummed out about the Uncharted series now, because I was afraid that game was gonna be just as overrated and almost missed out on it

.Probably didn't help that I played the Uncharted games years after release, so I'd definitely say: jump into 4 while it's still fresh.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skip the first Uncharted game. Play Uncharted 2 and 3 on easy in order to experience the stories and set pieces, and not get bogged down in the gunplay if you happen to dislike it (I liked it fine). They are both great, great games with super fun Indiana Jones stories. Then play 4. That's all there is to it.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Play all of them. Uncharted 1 wasn't amazing, but it was a solid puzzle shooter. 2 and 3 are masterpieces as good or better than anything last generation

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say play all of them too. I just played 1-3 for the first time in 2015, and they were all great, even 3, which people seem to not like quite as much. They're all relatively quick plays, I wasn't enjoying 1 much until I busted it down to easy, and I think it only took about 6 hours to get through it when I did. But definitely play all three, they are well worth your time and I'm sure they will make 4 resonate more with you.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have the time, the characters are really worth playing through all three before 4 comes out. The more you get to know them, the more they will matter for this finale. Some of the best performances and characters in any series ever, hands down.

walach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I share the feeling somewhat that I want to play the first game in a series before jumping on. But you don't have to play every new game right away so if you own the Uncharted Collection you can play and enjoy them each before getting to the final chapter.

But if you feel that is too much of a time sink and you care for the story and still want to play one of them my vote goes to the 2nd game, and if that goes well watch some story vids to catch yourself up^^

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play 4 and then go back. The older ones still look stunning in the Nathan Drake Collection. That and they are typically self contained adventures that you don't need to play the others. Can't speak for the newest one though.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it helps at all, the Uncharted games are still visually spectacular with great production values. Maybe 1 doesn't hold up, but I've been playing 3 on PS4 (which I never got around to) and it is a GREAT looking game, with fantastic voice acting.

One of the things that seems to go under the radar for me is how good their mocap is in cutscenes. The emotions and stuff expressed from the animation (especially is 2 and 3) is 2nd to none. Like the games have always looked amazing, but I feel like that always gets overlooked.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

These games aren't very long, especially when played on Easy, so just buy the collection and play through them this weekend. Uncharted 1 definitely has some issues with being old but it's not a 90's CRPG or anything. Point and shoot, do the QTE's when told, and perform some obvious platforming.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I went back to 3 a few months ago, and it's just super well-paced. Visually, they still look good and the gameplay is fine. Those games hold up well (aside from the first), to the point where playing 3 felt like I was still playing something modern.

And honestly, some of the set pieces rival anything on current-gen hardware.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

You can just play them at the lowest difficulty setting to just see through them. Or you can always just watch Let's Play videos. You won't miss much, really.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: @justin258: I played like 3 hours of Uncharted 1 last night and even on easy they throw so many enemies at you that it feels like it takes forever. The platforming also feels incredibly old especially just coming off the new ratchet and clank.

It's not that I need to play them for story or anything, it's completionist I guess.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Or just play them all.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@alistercat: The first game in particular is easily the most awkward-playing one, so that's not surprising to hear. If it's just for a completionist's sake, you might as well watch a Let's Play of it. There's really not much you'd miss not playing it, unlike in the later games. I'd recommend this one, if you do decide to watch one.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Uncharted games are short enough you can get through them fairly quick, just play them all.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Justin258

@alistercat said:

@audiobusting: @justin258: I played like 3 hours of Uncharted 1 last night and even on easy they throw so many enemies at you that it feels like it takes forever. The platforming also feels incredibly old especially just coming off the new ratchet and clank.

It's not that I need to play them for story or anything, it's completionist I guess.

The real secret is that as games, they're all subpar. People come to these games for the extremely elaborate set pieces (which, frankly, don't do anything for me) and the fairly well-written dialog and banter between characters. The game part, the platforming and shooting and occasional puzzle, those parts aren't so great, which is why I have never enjoyed anything from the series.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Run around and finish dudes off with a melee smack. If you're staggering a dude with gunfire and hit him with a melee attack, you'll just take him out immediately, and it sure beats target practice while sitting behind cover. It's especially fun on easy, because you can basically play the game like some melee demon, gun-toting, spider monkey man.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@alistercat: The moment you realize that you are wasting a lot of precious time that you can never get back is when you'll start shedding that mentality. I used to have a hard rule about finishing every game I ever bought, no matter if it was bad or not, in order to get my moneys worth and be able to present arguments for why I didn't enjoy it having experienced the game from beginning to end. These days I simply don't have the time that. Each day after I come from work there is a limited amount of time I can dedicate to gaming and I'm not going to sit there and slog through hundred hours of Fallout 4 just so I can more clearly articulate what I disliked about the beginning, middle and end - only to have someone tell me that I guess I'm just dumb cause it's the best game ever.

I think that with time you might reach a similar realization. I mean why would you slog through all these Uncharted games when all you really want to do is play UC4? Of course right now it makes perfect sense in much the same way lining up book spines on a shelf looks nice and makes you feel complete. With time though, hopefully you can break the shackles. As a motivator let me once again urge you to not bother. Uncharted 2 is a pretty good game. Is it amazing? No, not really, it has some amazing setpieces but it's far from being a perfect package. Considering that everything else is rated by diehard Uncharted fans as lesser quality than the second entry, do you really want to go through three entire games of middling to good quality just so you can feel better about having experienced it linearly?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@alistercat: I'm of a similar type to you. For me it's driven by wanting see all the stuff/ lore and experience the story. It's just the way I'm wired. Especially in a series like Uncharted which is narrative driven.

If you are like me there's a couple things I find that help me skip entries when needed (e.g. like when I don't have a way to play a game I missed or know deep down I don't want to for some reason). Watching LPs of relevant parts of the game I skipped on youtube and especially reading story synopses on wikia. YMMV but for me that alleviates 80% of the desire or so.

Might be worth a shot for you.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By poobumbutt

I probably won't be helping by saying that I'm the same way and have never saw the need to get over it. I suppose most series I like, I've been with since their beginning. Meanwhile, those that aren't, if I like it enough to consider playing it, I usually don't mind going all the way back. Mass Effect is the biggest of the latter that I can think of. Played 2, then 3. Then 1 came out in that collection on the PS store (I have no PC) so I played through 1-3 again with a fully concurrent Sheppard.

Sorry to fuel your addiction.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By alistercat

@humanity: my life is a story of connected moments of wasted time...

It took something like the awful transformers movie game to break me of my achievement hunting addiction so it may take a different colossal waste of time to stop me playing bad games just so I can play the new one. That said, I do want to play the previous Uncharted games and I did enjoy what I've played.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wellp, they added that tourist(?) mode to the Collection, I imagine you can put that on and just breeze through each of them. I wish I could've done the same with Witcher before jumping on to the third game, but first one felt janky as hell to me even back at release and my PC wasn't good enough to play two when it came out. I did end up playing the Witcher 3 at release and probably put 30 hours into it, but as living and breathing as the world was, I didn't really have any connection to the main characters.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Uncharted 2 and 3 are still better games then 99% of what has come out so far this generation from a gameplay, spectacle and visual standpoint.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing Uncharted 1 over the weekend I decided to compromise and skip 2 and 3 for now. I will go back to them later, though they will be less impressive than ever. The thing that made the decision for me was hearing in the quicklook and from other people that the gameplay is the same throughout, and there was so much tedious shooting in my time with the first game that irealised by the time I finish the collection I would never want to do it again.

So I bought Uncharted 4. I don't feel great about it but it seems like the best compromise.

No Caption Provided

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat said:

Dude are really comparing your gaming habits to a serious illness like depression? I take back my assumption that you are a grown human being.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arabes said:

@alistercat said:

Dude are really comparing your gaming habits to a serious illness like depression? I take back my assumption that you are a grown human being.

I'm comparing the attitude. I've been severely depressed my entire adult life from my late teens and met the attitude of "just get over it" from most people, as if it were a thing you just do. If I thought it were simply a gaming habit then I wouldn't consider it a problem. It's a need consistent with my depression.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the Drake

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah at least play 2, its the best in series so far (this one nit included)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.