Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 10, 2016

Naughty Dog charts treasure hunter Nathan Drake's final adventure in the fourth entry of this action-adventure, swash-buckling saga.

Frame rate

joker8765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Loving the game so far and it's absolutely stunning visually. However while the frame rate seems to be pretty consistent I have been noticing occasional drops and stuttering here and there. Anybody else noticed this or is it just me?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@joker8765: There are occasional drops and stutter that is noticable but nothing that has been bothering me. Ofc. i would rather play the game in locked 60fps but it is what it is.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I finished the game in a trio of 6 hour sessions. I only noticed stuttering and drops in about 3 cases - all of which resolved in under 10 seconds. Oh and I had 1 hard crash out of nowhere (wasnt in an intense scene, was just running up some stairs...).

So yeah, I didnt see frequent dips.

What I did have was a wierd audio problem where it would suddenly cut out the centre channel - it only resolved itself after a hard reboot of the console, so I don't know if it was an Uncharted thing... This happened twice.

EDIT: Note, it's winter here in Australia and hella cold in Canberra (where I am). Could your console just be overheating?

joker8765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By joker8765

@selfconfessedcynic: Also in Australia so definitely not overheating. It hasn't been all that problematic just a handful of dips here and there that only lasted a second or two. Was just curious if anyone else had noticed them as I hadn't heard any of the guys mention it on the bombcast and they're usually quite harsh on that kind of thing.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@selfconfessedcynic: Also in Australia so definitely not overheating. It hasn't been all that problematic just a handful of dips here and there that only lasted a second or two. Was just curios if anyone else had noticed them as I hadn't heard any of the guys mention it on the bombcast and they're usually quite harsh on that kind of thing.

Hm - if it gets bad, try cleaning out your console (requires a specific screw driver and voids warranty though).

That said, if it isn't problematic atm, I hope it stays that way and doesn't impact some of the better late game moments for you.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

The framerate does hiccup a little sometimes and there is a ton of that blurring effect they use when you're moving around a lot but everything considered, I'd call the framerate very good given the graphical fidelity.

Uncharted 4 is actually a testament to how hard work and good optimization can go a long way in making console games not only look great but also run great. As much as I liked Bloodborne it is an example of the complete opposite - extremely long load times and a really inconsistent and oftentimes poor framerate. Uncharted 4 shows that while new hardware will definitely make things a bit easier, it's not impossible to still make great looking games on the existing platform, and that ultimately more and more developers would have gotten to this point as they learned to utilize every last shred of power the PS4 has. Now the NEO is this get out of jail free card where you no longer have to worry about proper optimization because you've got this safety net, and extra hardware buffer to fall back on. In the near future we'll be getting games of a quality that we should've already had, while it takes another 5 years for everyone to familiarize themselves enough with the new architecture to make significant leaps in quality beyond what we're seeing today.

Sorry for the rant.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

I only noticed the framerate dipping when there was tons of fire and smoke on screen, otherwise it runs a pretty solid for the most part.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm nearing the end of the game (at least I think so), and I have only noticed one dip. Otherwise it seems like it runs at a smooth 30fps, so I'm not complaining at all.

Overall a very impressive game, but it is the technical side of it, that really stands out.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, it's a video game.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if its the frame rate or a combination of the dips and the overuse of motion blur but I can't not play this game more than hour without getting serious motion sickness. I've had this problem with all the Uncharted games and Last of Us as well. If PS4 NEO lets them finally do a fluid 60fps without needing to resort to motion blur I am all for a console upgrade.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I've still to finish it, and while I thought it was a great looking game at the start, it just gets better as it goes on.

When you get to the market full of crowded people, I've never seen so many NPCs before.

When you get to the tropical islands. When the storm hits. When you get to Libertalia. For that entire sequence my jaw just kept hitting the floor.

As for frame rate, it's been very solid. I've noticed it hiccup once or twice in the 12 or so hours I've been playing. The game is technically and visually insane. I originally didn't want a TLOU2 - now I kind of do to see what ND can do with it.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By MachoFantastico

I didn't notice any real noticeable framerate drops at all, especially considering how darn good it looks.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Wasn't frequent for me...happened maybe a couple of times that I noticed.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OurSin_360

It drops a lot, usually the motion blur hides it though. I notice it almost every time i first dive into a water source, sometimes even when walking on puddles with a lot of action going on. However the amount of detail that happens in this game is an amazing testament to what they did on this console, the motion blur on the 30fps is pretty good too i barely notice the low framerate. I almost want to get ps+ just to see this game running at 60fps, but it would probably end up ruining the single player for me lol.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What makes you guys think PS Neo will run things at a smooth 60fps?

My bet is they will up the graphics fidelity slightly and have it run just the same. Thats what has happened for every generation of console hardware and why would it be any different now?

If developers actually wanted games running at 60fps thats super easy to do on any console generation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.