Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

THE VILLAGE ("WHERE AM I") was inspired by an indie art game

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AssInAss

In the keynote to IndieCade 2011, Richard Lemarchand (lead game designer at Naughty Dog) talks about the "creative risk" to have this level in a village (Chapter 16, "Where am I") where they could have an "interactive, explorative sequence showing the village at a quiet day".

SKIP to 35:00 - 41:50:

If you didn't watch the video, here's a summary.

"However, some people at Naughty Dog didn't think this stroll through a quiet, sunny place was going to work at all. We were planning to disallow the player from running, jumping, climbing, and not be allowed to perform any of the combat moves on the villagers or pull out their gun. Now people thought this was going to be boring, and players would just recoil away from the constrained interactivity, when the rest of the game leading up to that point had been so rich.

However, I had played a game right around this sequence that had made me think this idea was definitely going to work. The name of the game was The Graveyard."

"I thought that in the same way that The Graveyard had created a space for me where I could reflect, so could our village."

An early playtest had players punching the villagers but with no effect, and he knew they were just testing the boundaries of interaction instead of trying to be mean. Which is why he added a reward for the intended interaction by the punch button leading to a friendly handshake animation with the villager.

"We discovered that they weren't trying to beat up the villagers, they were just testing the boundaries of the system," he said. "I think that's a very human kind of curiosity, and I worked with artists and animators who did all the really hard work to ensure that if you did try and punch a villager it would a show an animation of Drake shaking hands with them."

Mainstream games can learn from the lessons that indie games have to teach.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By AssInAss

I really like Tale of Tales (their "notgames") and you can play The Graveyard here.

I also really liked The Path as a subversion to the Red Riding Hood mythology, even though its "game-y" elements didn't mesh with the experience (collecting flowers has no consequence). You should check them out, worth experiencing even if you aren't into art games. Hate or love their games, it's a unique experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.