Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

A look back on Uncharted 2

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By EVO

There are a handful of moments in games that I'll never forget playing for the first time. Waking up on N. Sanity Beach. Playing the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater demo over and over. Riding the tram into Black Mesa. Aeris' death. 

And then there is Uncharted 2. 

I'll never forget watching in awe as I clambered my way up that carriage, bloodied and bruised, stumbling through the snow amidst the carnage of the train wreck. From that moment I sat glued to the TV for 8 hours, and for many hours more I've played others online probably just as stoked on this game as myself. Needless to say, Uncharted 2 is one of my favourite games ever. Now, It's that time of year again when games are crowned game of the year, so it seems only natural to look back on the undisputed game of 2009. First things first:      

Dat ass

In last years GOTY Bombcast at 3:08:20, Ryan mentioned this cutscene at 3:05:

Ryan said:

" There's an early cutscene with Chloe where Nathan rests his hand on her ass, there's a natural nonchalance to that; that basic motion tells a whole story in of itself, you then know the history between these two characters just because of that. "

To expand on that, a film lecturer of mine once said the best way to set up a movie is not with words, but images, citing Rear Window's intro as an example. That cutscene with Chloe, the way Nate hesitantly touches her ass, that is a good example of this theory and it's actions like these that goes a long way towards bridging the Uncanny Valley, towards making the world of Uncharted 2 and the characters that inhabit it more real, more human

"Incoming!"

No Caption Provided

In an age of tacked on multiplayer, Naughty Dog could've just easily did a half ass job, or not included multiplayer at all, and nobody wouldve cared. The single player easily warrants the price of admission, but as it turned out, the multiplayer was just as good. While most people were busy playing Modern Warfare 2, and seemingly hating it, I was having fun not dying from campers, because the game just doesn't lend itself to such a tactic - well, the shotgun and pistole are pretty cheap, they kill you in one shot - but generally it takes a few rounds to bring down people. Just enough to get shot in the back but still survive, make it to cover and watch as the guy who was just shooting you unknowingly runs over the grenade you dropped.

Besides King of the Hill, all of the modes were really fun and it was refreshing to find team players in most games more concerned about winning than their k/d ratio. I guess because the multiplayer never really took off (it peaked at about 90,000 daily users), it kinda weeded out the dicks. Literally. There's a higher ratio of girls playing this game than any other game I've played online. And their good, perhaps too good. I hate losing to women.         

Nathan Drake is a murderer

Across the course of Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves, Drake has killed almost as many dudes as Sully has fucked women. Pirates, mercenaries, slippery naked dudes, helicopters, a demonic yeti, guardians - everything is fair game for Drake, even an innocent man just doing his job. (6:05)

That's right, our wisecracking "hero" just killed some poor guy in the most humiliating way possible, a pull down, and didn't even give a shit. At no point during the rest of the game do we see Drake feel any remorse for his actions, and with his impressive bodycount, we can only assume Drake enjoys killing people and his real motive isn't finding treasure nor saving the world. In fact, it's the exact opposite. He's killing off the world one innocent man at a time.

Was it all a dream?

Prison can break the toughest of men, even Drake. After 3 months locked up in some seedy Bornian cell, Drake is a shell of the man he once was. Reduced to shadow puppet theatre it's fair to say Drake has well and truly lost his shit. Thus, is it possible Sully and Chloe never came back for Drake? Is he still locked up, imagining all this?

Was Uncharted 2 just another one of his shadow puppet shows?
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EVO

There are a handful of moments in games that I'll never forget playing for the first time. Waking up on N. Sanity Beach. Playing the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater demo over and over. Riding the tram into Black Mesa. Aeris' death. 

And then there is Uncharted 2. 

I'll never forget watching in awe as I clambered my way up that carriage, bloodied and bruised, stumbling through the snow amidst the carnage of the train wreck. From that moment I sat glued to the TV for 8 hours, and for many hours more I've played others online probably just as stoked on this game as myself. Needless to say, Uncharted 2 is one of my favourite games ever. Now, It's that time of year again when games are crowned game of the year, so it seems only natural to look back on the undisputed game of 2009. First things first:      

Dat ass

In last years GOTY Bombcast at 3:08:20, Ryan mentioned this cutscene at 3:05:

Ryan said:

" There's an early cutscene with Chloe where Nathan rests his hand on her ass, there's a natural nonchalance to that; that basic motion tells a whole story in of itself, you then know the history between these two characters just because of that. "

To expand on that, a film lecturer of mine once said the best way to set up a movie is not with words, but images, citing Rear Window's intro as an example. That cutscene with Chloe, the way Nate hesitantly touches her ass, that is a good example of this theory and it's actions like these that goes a long way towards bridging the Uncanny Valley, towards making the world of Uncharted 2 and the characters that inhabit it more real, more human

"Incoming!"

No Caption Provided

In an age of tacked on multiplayer, Naughty Dog could've just easily did a half ass job, or not included multiplayer at all, and nobody wouldve cared. The single player easily warrants the price of admission, but as it turned out, the multiplayer was just as good. While most people were busy playing Modern Warfare 2, and seemingly hating it, I was having fun not dying from campers, because the game just doesn't lend itself to such a tactic - well, the shotgun and pistole are pretty cheap, they kill you in one shot - but generally it takes a few rounds to bring down people. Just enough to get shot in the back but still survive, make it to cover and watch as the guy who was just shooting you unknowingly runs over the grenade you dropped.

Besides King of the Hill, all of the modes were really fun and it was refreshing to find team players in most games more concerned about winning than their k/d ratio. I guess because the multiplayer never really took off (it peaked at about 90,000 daily users), it kinda weeded out the dicks. Literally. There's a higher ratio of girls playing this game than any other game I've played online. And their good, perhaps too good. I hate losing to women.         

Nathan Drake is a murderer

Across the course of Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves, Drake has killed almost as many dudes as Sully has fucked women. Pirates, mercenaries, slippery naked dudes, helicopters, a demonic yeti, guardians - everything is fair game for Drake, even an innocent man just doing his job. (6:05)

That's right, our wisecracking "hero" just killed some poor guy in the most humiliating way possible, a pull down, and didn't even give a shit. At no point during the rest of the game do we see Drake feel any remorse for his actions, and with his impressive bodycount, we can only assume Drake enjoys killing people and his real motive isn't finding treasure nor saving the world. In fact, it's the exact opposite. He's killing off the world one innocent man at a time.

Was it all a dream?

Prison can break the toughest of men, even Drake. After 3 months locked up in some seedy Bornian cell, Drake is a shell of the man he once was. Reduced to shadow puppet theatre it's fair to say Drake has well and truly lost his shit. Thus, is it possible Sully and Chloe never came back for Drake? Is he still locked up, imagining all this?

Was Uncharted 2 just another one of his shadow puppet shows?
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says

great hair

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ArcBorealis

Damnit, I wanna go back and replay this game.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jack268

I'm sorry, but I really think people are overhyping Uncharted 2. Sure, the story is great, the graphics and characters etc. are great, but near the end game I couldn't play more than one shooting sequence at a time because they just throw 30 fucking bullet sponges at you with shotguns/crossbows/RPGs. You kill 29. You know one motherfucker is out there, but he wont come to you. You have to go looking for him. You move near a cover when you see a black helmet sticking up behind it. 

oh shi 

shotgun/pistole to the face 

Checkpoint back to BEFORE you killed those 29 people. Run up to closest cover. 

RPG OUT OF NOWHERE 

Checkpoint back again 

DRAGON SNIPER OUT OF NOWHERE  

Checkpoint back again, run up to cover  

PINPOINT ACCURATE GRENADE, NO OTHER COVER NEARBY

Etc. When I reached the end game I was so fucking tired of it all I was just playing to see the conclusion of the story, I wasn't enjoying playing at all. 

But still, I've started up a save on crushing difficulty now, trying to collect all trophies and get the kill achievements with every weapon just because I WANT TO KNOW what the heck the last 3 skins are. What the fuck is wrong with me

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EVO: 
    the last paragraph was really interesting.  thats some inception type shit right there.  in my opinion, i doubt that thought ever occurred in the heads of the developers....
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

Didn't even finish it.  There was some bit on the train mission where I couldn't immediately figure out what to do and I ragequit the game forever.  Same thing happened on a boat in Gears 2 for that matter.  I couldn't be more over straight TPSs.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SSully

I have to agree, it is easily one of my favorite games of all time. Like the half life series, i can go back and play both uncharted 1 and 2 and still get the same thrill as the first time i played them. 

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By swoxx
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    " @EVO:  the last paragraph was really interesting.  thats some inception type shit right there.  in my opinion, i doubt that thought ever occurred in the heads of the developers.... "
    This. Really interesting thought. god i want UC3
    GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By GhostlyEnigma

I wish more shooters took a lesson in expertly meshing gameplay and storytelling. Uncharted 2 is one of those rare game where every scenerio felt like a meaningful extension of the story. The game's cutscens are punctuated during the right moments, and never drag on unlike some cinematic "games". *cough*MGS4*cough* 

It aggrevates me when people dismiss it as "Tomb Raider with Gears of War cover based gunplay", in order to bash it. Is it just Gears of War mixed with Tomb Raider? Yes, but it's much better than those two franchises and doesn't contain any of the issues that plagued them. It's a brilliant game that deserves it's accolades. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael
    @Jack268: Dude, Uncharted 2 is extremely easy even on Hard. You're just bad at third-person shooters.

Also, I was so happy when I thought we were done talking about this game. It's a shallow, sloppy Gears of War clone filled with tedious, boring filler platforming, and the story is horrible. Even the worst of the Indiana Jones movies seem like masterpieces in comparison.
    kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kimbokasteniv

That innocent man Drake pulls off the edge doesn't actually die. If you play that scene, you will notice that shortly after hitting the water the guard starts swimming. Of course, he should be dead.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jack268
    @Icemael: Well, I'm not saying it's "hard" but every death in a gunfight just feels like you just got cheaped out and in the end it just gets tedious. But yeah, maybe I am bad at tps's.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It's boring. The entire game consists of jumping or taking cover and shooting, and neither part is particularly good.

And I don't recall the story being all that either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Icemael said:
    " @Jack268: Dude, Uncharted 2 is extremely easy even on Hard. You're just bad at third-person shooters.

Also, I was so happy when I thought we were done talking about this game. It's a shallow, sloppy Gears of War clone filled with tedious, boring filler platforming, and the story is horrible. Even the worst of the Indiana Jones movies seem like masterpieces in comparison. "
    are u talking about uncharted 2?  i mean the story wasnt that great but it wasnt bad either.  dont compare that crystal skull shit with uncharted 2...
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By scarace360

Man now i wanna play  uncharted 2 again. Anyone wanna play?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael
    " @Icemael said:
    " @Jack268: Dude, Uncharted 2 is extremely easy even on Hard. You're just bad at third-person shooters.

Also, I was so happy when I thought we were done talking about this game. It's a shallow, sloppy Gears of War clone filled with tedious, boring filler platforming, and the story is horrible. Even the worst of the Indiana Jones movies seem like masterpieces in comparison. "
    are u talking about uncharted 2?  i mean the story wasnt that great but it wasnt bad either.  dont compare that crystal skull shit with uncharted 2... "
    The blue people bullshit was easily as stupid as the alien twist. Add to that all the other inanities in Uncharted 2's story, and Crystal Skull is a clear winner. 

Uncharted 2's story is perhaps better by video game standards than Crystal Skull's is by film standards, but that's it.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jack268
    " @Icemael said:

are u talking about uncharted 2?  i mean the story wasnt that great but it wasnt bad either.  dont compare that crystal skull shit with uncharted 2... "
    In Uncharted 2 you play as an archeologist who is chasing after a crystal because he wants the riches it would bring. He learns that it gives immortality and destroys it because it drives people mad. 

In indiana jones and the crystal skull, you follow an archeologist who is chasing after a crystal skull because... well, he wants to help Oxley? He learns that it belongs to an alien race and leaves a soviet chick to destroy it because it drives people mad. 

Whatever. I lost it when the yetis/zombies came in.
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Ramone

The game isn't original enough, I'm giving it a 9.3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Icemael said:
    " @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    " @Icemael said:

The blue people bullshit was easily as stupid as the alien twist. Add to that all the other inanities in Uncharted 2's story, and Crystal Skull is a clear winner. 

Uncharted 2's story is perhaps better by video game standards than Crystal Skull's is by film standards, but that's it. "
    well i mean the twist in uncharted 2, was somewhat similar to the first uncharted so i was anticipating something ridiculous but ya the blue people bullshit was a bit over the top...  i guess i hated the crystal skull because it went in a terrible direction with the sequels and it really wasnt necessary to the franchise.    

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jack268 said:
    " @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    " @Icemael said:

In Uncharted 2 you play as an archeologist who is chasing after a crystal because he wants the riches it would bring. He learns that it gives immortality and destroys it because it drives people mad.   In indiana jones and the crystal skull, you follow an archeologist who is chasing after a crystal skull because... well, he wants to help Oxley? He learns that it belongs to an alien race and leaves a soviet chick to destroy it because it drives people mad.  Whatever. I lost it when the yetis/zombies came in. "
    i didnt really mind the yeti part...  i just got annoyed by the blue people twist.  i mean, why the hell did naughty dog just sloppily throw in a race of smurfs on steriods with crossbows that are annoying as hell?
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EVO
    @kimbokasteniv said:
    " That innocent man Drake pulls off the edge doesn't actually die. If you play that scene, you will notice that shortly after hitting the water the guard starts swimming. Of course, he should be dead. "
    Really? I just assumed he died. It's like a 3 second free fall.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By lucas_kelly

I've probably played trough Uncharted 2 more times than I have any other game.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DeShawn2ks

I don't understand the problem people at with the blue guys at the end. The crossbows they use takes them down quick. I only remember dying a few times when fighting them. But yeah Uncharted to was a great game. The car chase part put all other games to shame that have ever tried to do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.