Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultra Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 17, 2014

The third major installment of the Street Fighter IV legacy adds characters and stages from Street Fighter X Tekken, a brand new fighter, new gameplay mechanics (including the ability to bring both Ultra Combos into the fight), and a variety of balance tweaks, training enhancements, and new modes.

Reviews are out!..indestructible...

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jimmyfenix

God is a geek - 10/10

Street Fighter IV was a superlative experience even before today, but Ultra Street Fighter IV, with its well devised additions, has added the bacon to what was already a tasty burger – you don’t know that Street Fighter IV needs these mechanics until you’ve tasted it with them. Then it chucks some new characters on top for good measure. After the disappointingly meagre Arcade Edition, Ultra is an expansion every bit deserving of its title, and more than worthy of the time of anyone that has, does, and is yet to enjoy Street Fighter. Here’s to the next five years of brave Ultra counters and delayed wake-up mix-ups

IGN - 9/10

Ultra Street Fighter 4 takes an already incredible, content-rich fighting game, and builds upon it in ways that fighting enthusiasts can get lost in and casual fans can enjoy. Every addition and refinement, both big and small, works. The new characters feel like they've been here all along, and the rebalancing gives old characters a fresh lease on life, making Ultra a must-have for anyone who's enjoyed any version of Street Fighter 4.

Eurogamer - 8/10

The only thing that holds this sequel back is the sense that it was made on a fairly tight budget. It's the little things, like the meagre choice of "new" characters and the way that some of the new Ultra animations lack the dramatic flair of their predecessors. But with the development team's passion taking up most of the slack, £11.99 for the digital upgrade feels like a fair price. It's not the Street Fighter 5 that we've all been hankering for, but as the fifth (and reportedly final) version of Street Fighter 4, Ultra is an ultimate end in more ways than one.

CVG - 8/10

For casual players or newcomers, Ultra Street Fighter IV is the same thrilling, deep, and accessible fighting game it always has been. And with the retail release featuring all previously released costume DLC content, it's a game that every Xbox 360, PS3 or PC owner should have in their collection.

USgamer - 4/5

Ultra Street Fighter IV continues Capcom's continuing evolution of the Street Fighter IV series. Five new characters join the roster, though four are from Street Fighter x Tekken and one was created using animations from an existing character. That said, with 44 total characters, a host of balance tweaks, new fighting options, and native YouTube uploading, Ultra Street Fighter IV is a release that's worth picking up for hardcore Street Fighter fans or returning casual players.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I wonder, since Games with Gold currently has SF 4 Arcade Edition for free, can you upgrade from that to Ultra?

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By altairre

Eurogamer - 8/10

The only thing that holds this sequel back is the sense that it was made on a fairly tight budget. It's the little things, like the meagre choice of "new" characters and the way that some of the new Ultra animations lack the dramatic flair of their predecessors. But with the development team's passion taking up most of the slack, £11.99 for the digital upgrade feels like a fair price. It's not the Street Fighter 5 that we've all been hankering for, but as the fifth (and reportedly final) version of Street Fighter 4, Ultra is an ultimate end in more ways than one.

Loading Video...

I don't know, these Ultras look pretty dope to me. The new characters are also chosen fairly well even if they all were in SFxT but nobody plays that game anymore anyway. I also happen to think that Decapre looks really cool despite the fact that she seems like a Cammy reskin at first glance. Her being a charge character and the addition of teleports and the "psycho knife" will make sure that she doesn't play like Cammy at all. It also helps that her cinematic ultra is probably the best in the game. I'm going to wait for the PC or PS4 version though (I mean why would they not put it out on next gen eventually right?). Bummer that the PC release is not simultaneously but it gives me time to practice charge characters since Decapre is the first charge character I have interest in playing.

Loading Video...
    ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ThunderSlash

Just checked it out a bit on my copy of Super. The opening movie and title screen seemed to stay the same, but that new menu music is hype!

Does anyone know if you can play others with older version like how Arcade Edition owners can soft downgrade their copy to Super?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm excited for this just have to wait a couple months for the PC edition. :(

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

The gameplay is solid but the overall package feels like it's rushed. Couldn't even throw in a new title screen?

Pretty sure all of this will be changed when the game launches everywhere though, knowing this was pushed up quite a bit to give people time to practice before Evo

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@humanity said:

I wonder, since Games with Gold currently has SF 4 Arcade Edition for free, can you upgrade from that to Ultra?

Yeah, $15 DLC I'm pretty sure.

OK not 100% sure because I don't pay much attention to Xbox stuff, but I vaguely remember some tweet mania about it a few weeks ago.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@humanity said:

Yes, you should be able to for $15.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who are these reviews for really? The update is for such a specific group of people who already know they are going to get it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Humanity

@humanity said:

Now the interesting question is, if I get SSF4:AE through the Free Games with Gold program, then upgrade to Ultra for $15 - will I be able to keep playing Ultra when my Gold membership lapses and I technically don't have access to SSF4:AE anymore?

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@humanity: I'm pretty sure games you get free from Gold on Xbox 360 are "Free to own" and Xbox One Gold games are "Free with a Membership". I don't think it can lapse on Xbox 360.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

@humanity said:

@irrelevantjohn said:

@humanity said:

Now the interesting question is, if I get SSF4:AE through the Free Games with Gold program, then upgrade to Ultra for $15 - will I be able to keep playing Ultra when my Gold membership lapses and I technically don't have access to SSF4:AE anymore?

You have to access AE to play Ultra since the upgraded version is just additional content which will be scanned after the press start screen.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Oh man.... that damn web series just made me care, but I remember already having my fill of SFIV.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I bought it, despite the part where I don't want to re-up my Xbox Live gold and I don't have anyone to play with locally. I might be a sucker.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@irrelevantjohn said:

@humanity said:

You have to access AE to play Ultra since the upgraded version is just additional content which will be scanned after the press start screen.

Well that sounds like a no then.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I bought it, despite the part where I don't want to re-up my Xbox Live gold and I don't have anyone to play with locally. I might be a sucker.

Same here.

I have it and I'm enjoying it. Hugo is a ton of fun to use and Decapre is neat.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@arbitrarywater: same but damn it I love HUGO and even if I suck this and Heathstone will break up the monotony of writing all the damn time.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@humanity: I'm pretty sure games you get free from Gold on Xbox 360 are "Free to own" and Xbox One Gold games are "Free with a Membership". I don't think it can lapse on Xbox 360.

Yep, anything you download through Games with Gold on 360 is yours to keep even if you unsubscribe.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hmm, still shows Dark Souls on my Games with Gold. Am I doing something wrong?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

God damn I miss that old theme... INDESTRUCTIBLE!

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@mortuss_zero said:

Hmm, still shows Dark Souls on my Games with Gold. Am I doing something wrong?

AE is coming later in the month.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man, Indestructible is so catchy. All the new SF4 updates menu music is hot fucking garbage in comparison.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@thephantomnaut said:
    @humanity said:

@irrelevantjohn said:

@humanity said:

Well that sounds like a no then.

You don't lose access to 360 Games with Gold games when your membership lapses. Only Xbox One Games with Gold require an active membership.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantomnaut: thank you, from the seems of it, people were saying it was already available.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Humanity

@kedi2: @euandewar: Ahh thanks for the info. In all honesty I got kind of confused with the latest policy changes and thought the new ownership model applied to both!

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_hiro_abides

This got me to play SF4 again.

Although this didn't add a lot, I skipped AE so this was nice to go back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.