Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Rome II

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 03, 2013

The successor to the acclaimed Rome: Total War and the eighth main entry in the Total War series, Total War: Rome II returns the series to classical antiquity.

"Total War: Rome II" vs "Rise and Fall" (2006) vs "BRAZEN!"

DF_Chad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi buckybit - just saw this. Thanks for the callout and the Rise & Fall shots. That game was a blast to work on with the Stainless Steel Studios team and was really ahead of its time in some of its features. I loved that you could build walls and then get down in 3rd person and snipe from them. Sailing across the sea rushing around on the deck of your bobbing trireme, firing flaming arrows, grappling, and ramming other triremes, only then then to beach your ship into the enemy shores and beach assault shoulder to shoulder with your legions (and elephants!) was unprecedented and so fun. When Brad Muir first pitched Brazen I was excited at seeing another "sword and sandals" type game that reminded me all the historical ones I had worked on before. It's great to see that setting kept alive in the Total War series and even the upcoming Ryse game.

Hewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I remember playing R&F when it first came out, but I didn't play it for too long. I remember it feeling very much like a lower mid-tier game of the era. Not quite a full RTS and definitly not the best TPS (Third-Person-Stabber?). The idea of running around on the ground with your soldiers was interesting in concept but I feel that it comes off, in most games that attempt it, as a bit of a gimmick. Even in the newest game to try (divinity dragon commander) they don't get it 100% right.

All that said I do have some big nostagia for the early 2000's grungy, muddy textures and awkward animations :) and the stuff they were trying back then was awesome and crazy, even if some of it didn't hit the target. Good find though, I had completly forgotten about this game. It came out around the same time as that other weird RTS that had a similar title. It was kind of steam-punkish. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.