Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk: RIDE

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

The tenth game in the Tony Hawk series, RIDE featured the use of a newly conceived skateboard peripheral in an attempt, by Activision, to reboot the series.

Has Activision Gone Too Far With Peripherals?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

When the first Guitar Hero was coming out, no one really expected what ended up becoming a massive phenomenon.  Then, year after year, more games came...and more peripherals came along with them, demanding our money to update our gear.

With Tony Hawk Ride, we've got a new skateboard controller that senses your motions and translates it...somehow to the game.  In case you missed the GameTrailers TV reveal of all this, here's that video for catch you up:

So, with all this now known, has Activision gone too far with the peripherals?  To be honest, I understand the idea of immersion that this could involve.  It doesn't mean I personally think it's a good idea.  We've seen just exactly how the Wii-mote has translated in many games to "motion sensing", and for some reason, this just doesn't seem better.

I wonder if your character will bail when the batteries run out on that thing...lol.
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

This just seems like a terrible, terrible idea to me.  I don't see what standing on a plastic board will add to a skating game for me.  You apparently do tricks by waving your hand in from of sensors or something too.  I don't always agree with this argument on peripherals or physical controls, but this really seems like a case where you should just go actually skateboard.  This doesn't seem like fun.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

It's gonna suck..

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Yes, they have gone too far. I'm sick of having all these large peripherals crowding my house.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

after seeing that it makes me think whats the point and why not learn to skate for real 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

The GTTV videos on Gametrailers just aren't working for me lately, but the concept seems insane.  If you're that close to actually skateboarding that you're standing on a board and doing moves, why not just actually skateboard?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187

Another concern on this:  injuries?  I mean, come on...are you going to tell me some dumbass kid isn't going to fall off this thing and cry to mama...and then Activision is gonna get hit with a class action or something?

Seriously, it's just...*ugh*...with Guitar Hero, a peripheral makes sense.  With this, it doesn't.  I can understand where some people have a fear of getting seriously injured from learning how to skate, but I'm just seriously afraid this has pushed the limits of home peripheral gaming.
    Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Shocker

I really don't think many people will want this...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187

I'm curious as to whether there is an option for a controller or not...because if there isn't, the sales of this game look like they will be DISMAL!

Of course, watch that be completely wrong and it sells like hot cakes.  -_-
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By BigBoss1911

Definetly,they need to go back to making actual video games.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187

Alright, let's shift this discussion slightly:

Say this is a huge success, and the board actually IS fun to use.  What will that lead to?  How many games will want to add peripherals in order to achieve some sense of "virtual reality" that has failed so many times before?  Why can't we seem to be content with games being GAMES?
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By mracoon

Just ride a real skateboard, it's not that hard.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus
    jakob187 said:
    When the first Guitar Hero was coming out, no one really expected what ended up becoming a massive phenomenon. Then, ... [more]
    Absolutely. I still don't have plastic drums (holding off until September). I think that the instruments are understandable, because I don't want to play a music game with a controller, but when it comes to Tony Hawk, I prefer to hold a controller and sit on my ass. If the game has a controller option I'll still probably check it out, but there's no way I'm buying a plastic skate-board  body for one game. (Although this may be a cool concept for an arcade game... if that was still a viable option).
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

If it works well and feels natural, I'm cool with it.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Cerza

Well, I can see what they are trying to do with their ripoff Wii Balance Board and it certainly sounds neat, I also think that the peripheral situation in gaming has gotten a bit out of hand. It feels like EVERY new big game that comes from them has to have another stupid cheaply manufactured over priced peripheral. They are really starting to remind me of Bosco and his BoscoTec from the Sam and Max games. In every new game he has some new ramshackle overpriced piece of junk that you gotta buy from him in it, and you buy it like the sucker you are, and so he keeps making more of them.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Yukoei

Yes, they have.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.