Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Tomorrow Children

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 25, 2016

Players attempt to restore the human race in this dystopian game from Q-Games.

The Tomorrow Children ... Today (Beta)

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
    fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fractal_seaweed

Hey, has anyone else got a notification about being accepted into the beta for this? Got it last night and I have to say: I'm god damned pumped. I've always loved Minecraft-esque games. I think what's got me sold on this is the style of this thing:

I like everything that's going on right here
    I like everything that's going on right here

Anyway, what has me utterly confounded is the beta schedule times (first play times were 3am to 7am, PST). Luckily, the next scheduled beta testing time starts today after I get off work. The next set of play times are sometime Saturday morning. I wonder what the reasoning is behind the odd schedule. Anyone else going to give this a shot? I'm looking forward to posting my initial impressions up here! I don't know if you'll be able to actually team up with other people on your friends list, but if you can I'm more than willing to drop my gamer tag here.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've a code for it. It starts my time at 19:00GMT and runs til 22:00. Looking forward to finding out more about the game, it looks super interesting.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hah weird, I thought this game had come out ages ago, I mean the unfinished video GB did for it was in 2014 ffs...

Seemed kinda aimless and the mining aspect was really weird, but since it has been in development all this time maybe it has gotten better, not that I care that much anyway since I don't have a PS4.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dussck

Still looks great. Still interested in this game, looks like something you could play while relaxing.

The beta is a mess, though. I signed up for it like 6 months ago or something and 2 days ago got a notification that I was in the beta! They provided me with a link to a special site, but once logged in I only get a screen saying I don't have any permission to go to that site..

Also heard that some people logged in that site that did not get any notification at all and were able to join the beta.

The beta runs for 3 days, but only on specific times and people don't know when those times are because they apparently did not mention the timezones (and also tweeted conflicting times)?

Anyways... a hot mess

EDIT: Let me take some of that back, by saying that someone at Sony Playstation helped me get access now and I've been informed of the time tables as well now. So, I guess I'm finally going to take a shot at this!

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#5  Edited By donutfever

I'm so confused as to what you di in this. I can't find any of the resources I'm supposed to be bringing into town, people appear for seconds and disappear, I can't build I residence until I expand the town hall but there's no indication of how to do that. These three hour long sessions worked for Splatoon but I'm wasting so much of it figuring out how the game works.

It's real pretty tho

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really excited to check it out but the beta times are worthless.

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
    fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By fractal_seaweed

So, some thoughts on this: I don't have many because I encountered a horrible bug. Or so I thought. I got into the game and damn does it look really nice. The aesthetic of this game is really, really swanky. Props to the designers on this.

This is how my game time went: I get through the tutorial, and I'm plodding through town, looking around - oh the bus leaves in 10 minutes, I got time. *Maybe 30-40 minutes go by.* Hmm. Okay, the bus isn't leaving. Ah, it says here online that if the bus doesn't leave, switch towns. Alright, let's switch towns. ... Okay, disconnected. I'll try reconnecting - this goes on for the next hour. Well, seems I've encountered a glitch? Oh wait, they have a new posting: (I'm Paraphrasing here) "We are creating situations for people that are intentionally creating connection issues. Please try to connect anyway." ... Well that sucks. But hey, it's a load-stress test.

With a half hour left on Saturday I tried on a lark using a friend's PSN account, and got into the game perfectly. Evidently you didn't need a beta key as long as you had it downloaded on your PS4 I guess? I found a tweet on The Tomorrow Children twitter account saying something to that effect, and people were able to get around the connection issue doing that.

So, a really cool looking game that I didn't get to play much of. I still don't really get it. The minecraft comparison works to a certain extent where gather resources, build bridges, and eventually build up walls around important structures to keep the giants out. It seems like it's going towards some tower-defense gameplay, but to what end?

There's also two types of currency, one which is a form of tickets, and the other called FreemanDollars. The Freeman Dollarsallow you to instantly buy tools and other upgrades instantly without going back to town. They also let you repair buildings instantly. I'm willing to bet my bourgeois papers that this will be the purchasable currency within the game. Although it seems like you can find it randomly, just not a whole lot of it.

I kind of agree with how the other players phasing in and out randomly seems a bit annoying. I wonder what happens if you party up with people. Can you party up with people? Can you form a group so that you all remain on screen at all times? Can you customize the look of your character or does everyone have the same female model? (Not that I'm complaining, I had a nifty poka-dot dress) I still don't really have a good grasp of what the end game of The Tomorrow Children will be or what it will finally look like.

I am looking forward to more though, the style alone almost has me sold on it. There are little propaganda videos you can watch while you're on the bus - all the small details that have gone into the look of the game is impressive.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By glots

Was able to download the beta today, guess it's going open for all. Won't start 'till June 3rd, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.