Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Two things the next zelda game needs

manhunter1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By manhunter1000

Two things struck out at me in this game that should be upgraded in the next zelda game for sure.

what it needs: voice-over work

what it has: endless amounts of mostly useless text

what it needs: Real free motion sword fighting

what it has: Every gesture has a predesignated effect and animation. Every time you try and bring your sword to a horizontal position (in order to do a horizontal slash) you might accidentally do a cross-diagonal slash, and so far and so forth. This is problematic if an enemy is blocking for that very position.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Nope. I do not want my zelda games to have voice overs. They never have and I hope they never will. 

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BrockNRolla

How about a game that actually feels like it is new? You know, one where you don't have to do the same things you've done in every other Zelda game? One where you don't have to go get the hook-shot and boomerang? How about you change the parts of the game that actually matter to the experience?

Just a few thoughts.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By TehFlan

@BrockNRolla said:

How about a game that actually feels like it is new? You know, one where you don't have to do the same things you've done in every other Zelda game? One where you don't have to go get the hook-shot and boomerang? How about you change the parts of the game that actually matter to the experience?

Just a few thoughts.

Skyward Sword doesn't have a boomerang.

manhunter1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By manhunter1000

@BrockNRolla said:

Just a few thoughts.

That's a good point, but I was just thinking about the parts that don't work.

You should also notice how weird it was that no swords truly connected midway. Enemies were just voguing!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJQSAiODqI&ob=av3n

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrockNRolla

@TehFlan said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Just a few thoughts.

Skyward Sword doesn't have a boomerang.

But it does have the hook-shot equivalent. I guess they are halfway there?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

Playing only about four hours or so in of Skyward Sword, I think that it would be nice if they got Hayao Miyazaki to help with some of the stuff since it seems right up his ally, or pretty close to how he does his work, and actual Hollywood actors as he often does in his films like Ponyo, and etc. It'd be neat to have a movie composer come on as well to give it a bit more of a cinematic feel. I think it's fantastic so far though, and I don't think I have the same problem as you when it comes to controls. I think it only needs voice acting, but good voice acting, and maybe someone to come on board with a more cinematic soundtrack, though I do think Koji Kondo does a fine job as is. When I mean help, I don't necessarily mean that Nintendo needs help because of a lack of talent, but because I'd like to see it do as well as I think it could possibly be. I think I think I think, I noticed I said that a lot.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It doesn't need voice acting.

In fact lots of games work fine without any voice acting at all. I don't see why it's such a big deal to some people.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Willy105

@BrockNRolla said:

Just a few thoughts.

Phantom Hourlgass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword were all very new. What you want is something that is different from a Zelda game, but still has the Zelda name. The latter two request make no sense, by the way.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Willy105 said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Just a few thoughts.

Phantom Hourlgass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword were all very new. What you want is something that is different from a Zelda game, but still has the Zelda name. The latter two request make no sense, by the way.

What is hard to understand about not wanting to collect the same items in a Zelda game? What doesn't make sense about thinking Nintendo should have tried to shake up their series with something other than motion controls? How about changing up the story? How about really shaking up the setting? How about changing some of the characters? Or how about the game format? The narrow vision so many people have of what makes a Zelda game, the developers included, is killing the series. I've played them all, and I'm bored.

Does that make more sense? Or were you just attempting to dismiss my opinions?

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shaunk

@BrockNRolla said:

@Willy105 said:

@BrockNRolla said:

Just a few thoughts.

What is hard to understand about not wanting to collect the same items in a Zelda game? What doesn't make sense about thinking Nintendo should have tried to shake up their series with something other than motion controls? How about changing up the story? How about really shaking up the setting? How about changing some of the characters? Or how about the game format? The narrow vision so many people have of what makes a Zelda game, the developers included, is killing the series. I've played them all, and I'm bored.

Does that make more sense? Or were you just attempting to dismiss my opinions?

They changed the items drastically in Twilight Princess and everybody complained about them. Rightfully so as they were cool at first but got increasingly lame. Just because there are 3 or so staples of items in the games never means all the items are the same. I don't understand the character complaint, the only character to have been in every Zelda game is Link. And that's not even the same character all of the time (by plot standards). The two runner ups are Zelda and Ganon. The story changes drastically between each game, they never have the same plot. And why change the game format when it works? Why should a game have to do that?

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By bibamatt

@BrockNRolla: I totally understand everything you're saying and shouted about EXACTLY the same thing, until I played Skyward Sword. Honestly, if you're a Zelda fan but have become sick of the 'formula', give it a chance (if you haven't already). There's no 'fetch three things - then get the master sword - then do the forest temple - then get the boomerang' etc. The setting is totally changed up (you don't even start in Hyrule) and it keeps that Zelda feel without dragging out all the same tropes.

Seriously - they've done good.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrockNRolla

@MasturbatingestBear said:

They changed the items drastically in Twilight Princess and everybody complained about them. Rightfully so as they were cool at first but got increasingly lame. Just because there are 3 or so staples of items in the games never means all the items are the same. I don't understand the character complaint, the only character to have been in every Zelda game is Link. And that's not even the same character all of the time (by plot standards). The two runner ups are Zelda and Ganon. The story changes drastically between each game, they never have the same plot. And why change the game format when it works? Why should a game have to do that?

The issue I have with the staple items is not that they don't work, but rather that I just want to see something that works well and is new. Just like you said, they try some new stuff every now and then, but they fail to create things that sticks with you. I think it could be really interesting to shake up the characters, maybe make Zelda the protagonist, or make Link someone other than a character without a personality and without a voice.

And I'm going to have to disagree on the storyline. With the exception of Majora's Mask, every Zelda game follows the same basic format. I'm just not feeling it anymore. Does it have to change? No, but other games do. Mario consistently finds new and interesting ways to change things up with each iteration. If the series weren't so long in the tooth, I might feel differently too. I don't think I'm professing any particularly controversial ideas with that. Is it wrong to want more from the series?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BrockNRolla

@bibamatt said:

@BrockNRolla: I totally understand everything you're saying and shouted about EXACTLY the same thing, until I played Skyward Sword. Honestly, if you're a Zelda fan but have become sick of the 'formula', give it a chance (if you haven't already). There's no 'fetch three things - then get the master sword - then do the forest temple - then get the boomerang' etc. The setting is totally changed up (you don't even start in Hyrule) and it keeps that Zelda feel without dragging out all the same tropes.

Seriously - they've done good.

I'll admit, I haven't finished Skyward Sword yet, but nor have I been grabbed by it yet. (Part of the reason I haven't felt compelled to keep muscling through). I hope my opinion changes.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By captain_clayman

no voice acting.  too much opportunity to be horrible.  plus text and pantomiming and expressive faces has a certain charm to it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By project343

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Nope. I do not want my zelda games to have voice overs. They never have and I hope they never will.

It needs voice over if they plan to continue to improve the game's cinematic quality. It's horrifically jarring to see their brilliantly-animated cutscenes interrupted with text bubbles. Or, they could go the Mario route and remove narrative all-together. Take your pick.

Prior to this iteration, I would have also said a fully orchestrated soundtrack. Problem solved though.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Willy105

@BrockNRolla: Even though they have the same name, I don't see how you could say they are the same items, since each game they are so different, and recently more so. The boomerang from ALLTP is not the same one as Ocarina, which is not the same one as Wind Waker, or the one in Twilight Princess. They are all new items, just with the same name. Your complaints are the exact ones you'd expect from someone from all who knows of the games is from a Wiki.

If a different name is enough to make a game feel fresh to you, then by all means; but others are more concerned with something that matters more.

Also, remember that Mario still jumps, has to run on platforms, and save Peach. So Link also explores dungeons, collects his arsenal, and save Zelda. The formula is the base to what makes each game so drastically different, because the formula can be applied to such varied and different experiences, it won't matter if it has a "beginning, middle, and end", since it's a different "beginning, middle, and end" each time.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By NMC2008

No gimmick controls, these motion controls are really hindering my enjoyment of Skyward Sword, I mean SERIOUSLY, I bought this 5 days before launch and just today I am entering the Forest Temple, I mean any other zelda and I would be done already, I am seriously dreading the rest of the game because of motion controls, I don't dig em and this game has the most motion controls I have played, such a bummer. If they have to have gimmick controls then make traditional game pad controls optional please.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By landon

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Every time I see this stupid comment I die a little inside.

Zelda isn't a PS1 rpg, it's a current generation franchise, and people in current generation franchises talk. By simply adding voice they had convey comedy and drama so much better than text. No, Link doesn't have to talk, but it certainly wouldn't ruin the game if everyone else did.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude

Some games aren't for some people. If you put motion controls in the hands of some, they become real dumb real fast.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nux

NO VOICE ACTING!

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By neoepoch

I don't see what the big deal is. The game has beautiful artwork/visuals, mesmerizing soundtrack, engaging combat, inventive puzzles, an entertaining story, loveable characters (especially ones who grow as the story progresses) and a vibrant and lively world. It has things that make it stand apart from other games in the series but still lets you know that it is a game in the franchise. I wonder if this was a new IP or franchise if there'd be more of a positive response. But Nintendo decided to experiment with one of its existing franchises and we still got a game that (for me personally) is fantastic on multiple levels. I mean I rank it up there with ALttP and WW as one of my favorite console based games in the series.
    There are other franchises with more serious originality problems that release annually but get praise for being essentially the same game. Zelda doesn't come out that often, and when it does I want it to have some sort of new hook (which this game has) but also retain the elements of what makes it Zelda, otherwise it really isn't a Zelda game.

manhunter1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By manhunter1000

@Claude said:

Some games aren't for some people. If you put motion controls in the hands of some, they become real dumb real fast.

I don't think thats fair. I think that if the technology and software were a little better, there wouldn't bee any problems with it at all. You would have swords meet halfway, like something that might happen in a real sword fight.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By Jost1

It needs less god damn fetch quests.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By DeeGee

Needs voice acting.

Link needs to remain silent, but goddamn, everyone else should talk.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By AndrewB

What it needs: Wind Waker art style.

What it will have: most likely either back to "Mature" Link, or another mish-mash style.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fenixrevolution
    @Jost1 Every Zelda game is basically a fetch quest. Personally, I find it an enjoyable fetch quest.

I get the want for voice acting, but they did a great job of displaying emotion, comedy and drama all through text and facial expressions, so I could live without it. Unless, Nolan North voices Link, then I'm in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.