Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Is Link Human?

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ratcabbage
    That don't look like no human I ever seen.
    That don't look like no human I ever seen.

I've noticed during my romp through Skyward Sword that people refer to Link as a human. It struck me as odd because I've never thought of Link as a human. Even with his pointy ears I've never thought of him as an elf, either. So, if he's neither human nor elven, what exactly is he? Perhaps some hideous hybrid of the two? I vaguely recall him being referred to as Hylian in previous game(s), but then what's a Hylian? What say you, community?

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Three0neFive

No, he's Hylian.

I have next to no interest in the Zelda franchise and even I knew that. :P

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By avidwriter

He's about as human as you can get in a Zelda game.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

Hylians were human at first, then Elven aliens came and spliced with our DNA. Thousands of years later the games take place.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mac_n_nina

@Ratcabbage: @Three0neFive: @avidwriter: @MrKlorox: Hylians are humans look at the Zelda wiki

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox
    @mac_n_nina said:

@Ratcabbage: @Three0neFive: @avidwriter: @MrKlorox: Hylians are humans look at the Zelda wiki

Hi, do you know other humans with ears like that? Clearly they aren't entirely human. The wiki is obviously wrong.
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By makari

@Three0neFive said:

No, he's Hylian. And this is coming from someone who has next to no interest in the Zelda franchise.

Hyrule is a kingdom, and the Links that live in the greater province of Hylia are Hylians. Not all of the Links across history live in Hylia because Hylia does not exist at certain stages of history (it in fact rises and falls over the course of the timeline). Human is a weird tag to put in place, but I guess making up a random name for the race of humanoid creatures with pointy ears (without falling back on 'Elf') would just confuse people. It could also be a translation issue.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mac_n_nina

@MrKlorox: actually i do

my friend scotty nukka

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

I thought he was almost anime.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker
    @MrKlorox
    Hylians were human at first, then Elven aliens came and spliced with our DNA. Thousands of years later the games take place.
    so that's what that ufo/cow level is in majoras mask
    periodic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By periodic

By that logic, people with purple hair or eyes, which are a pretty common thing in a most fantasy works, aren't really human either. It's fantasy, it's humans can have whatever traits the creators want.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
    @makari said:

@Three0neFive said:

No, he's Hylian. And this is coming from someone who has next to no interest in the Zelda franchise.

Hyrule is a kingdom, and the Links that live in the greater province of Hylia are Hylians. Not all of the Links across history live in Hylia because Hylia does not exist at certain stages of history (it in fact rises and falls over the course of the timeline). Human is a weird tag to put in place, but I guess making up a random name for the race of humanoid creatures with pointy ears (without falling back on 'Elf') would just confuse people. It could also be a translation issue.

Are there any other countries/kingdoms in that world? Not counting parallel universes or whatever those dudes are from in Twilight Princess.

@Claude said:

I thought he was almost anime.

The elves that created the Hylians were anime elves. But the humans that they created Hylians from were CGI intended to look like claymation.

@periodic said:

By that logic, people with purple hair or eyes, which are a pretty common thing in a most fantasy works, aren't really human either. It's fantasy, it's humans can have whatever traits the creators want.

That's a bold statement.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cornman89

@MrKlorox said:

I like this. Hyrule as the product of some crazy panspermia business with space elves.

The Zelda fiction is pretty thin, frankly, so I'll just stick with whatever theory makes my heart smile the most.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

@Cornman89 said:

@MrKlorox said:

I like this. Hyrule as the product of some crazy panspermia business with space elves.

The Zelda fiction is pretty thin, frankly, so I'll just stick with whatever theory makes my heart smile the most.

Though, Skyward Sword does end on a note that really puts the entire series in a very dark perspective.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cornman89

@Hailinel: Dark? Well, I guess... I gave up after the 3rd dungeon, but I did Youtube the ending, and it didn't really go anywhere I hadn't already guessed.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Barrock

He's an Elf.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Dalai

At the end of the game, the game clearly proves that not only is Link human, but that he's also Batman.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By makari

@MrKlorox: Certainly. The lands of Holodrum and Labrynna are in the same world as Hyrule and do not fall under the influence of the Hylian crown but are home to 'humans' with pointy ears like Link. The Great Sea expands beyond Hyrule's borders and considering there is inhabited island landmass above the Great Sea far from Hyrule (In Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks) it is safe to assume that Hyrule and its surrounds weren't just an island in a planet full of water at the point it was drowned. In any case, the Link in Skyward Sword is not a Hylian because

he pre-dates Hyrule and the Ganon-curse, which arguably sets up Hyrule as the fated stage for the trio from then on, until Wind Waker destroys it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.