Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Crew

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 02, 2014

A single-player and cooperative driving game that takes place throughout the United States, developed by Ivory Tower.

The Crew has been delisted and will no longer be playable after March 2024. Games expire now.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is one of the first "successful" live service games from the 8th generation to be rendered unplayable because of its always online design, even though there was no reason it had to be that way. Forza Horizon 5, for example, has a very extensive live service component but is playable offline. The Crew was designed with an expiration date either because of laziness or an intentional desire to stop people playing.

I actually bought the Crew on some deep sale and haven't played it so I guess I will, but this is why I am very leery of buying games that are always online. I have a stable online connection but as someone who likes to play old games and mostly doesn't care about multiplayer this just sucks and I'm not sure why more people don't get angry about it. Ubisoft is flogging a new version of The Crew right now and they won't get a sale from me except at a very, very, steep discount because it's more of a rental than a purchase. You can argue that all games (especially digital games) are, but I can still play OG Forza Horizon whenever I want.

So many Ubisoft games require online servers now, a huge chunk of their catalog will be wiped out over time.

And it's going to happen to games that people care about a lot more than The Crew.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gacha and MMO communities be like First Time?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Gacha games are pure exploitation and are generally intended as pretty temporary fixes. And MMOs are different because they HAVE to be online only. Of course there are lots of games that were multiplayer focused that have shut down and that's just the nature of playing multiplayer focused games.

The issue here is that this is a game that absolutely did not have to be online only. As I pointed out with Forza Horizon there are lots of games in the same genre with similar online features that aren't.

Also most Gacha games and MMOs (these days) are free to play. So they aren't asking you to pay cash up front for a game that will go offline (though of course you do spend money on stuff in them.)

Someone who bought The Crew yesterday has 3.5 months to play it before it's gone, and it has been on sale a lot this year so they were actively pushing a purchase for a game they planned to shut down soon.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually skipped this series due to the always online DRM. After 9 long years, my stubbornness has finally paid off. Mwahahaha!

Naw, this just sucks. Sorry to anyone who was a fan of this game.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They needed those Crew servers for Skull & Bones. It's the only way the game could ship. That's what's been taking them so long.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By AV_Gamer

I don't agree with this. I believe once a game is made to be online, then there should always be a server in place to support it, otherwise don't make it online. At the same time, I get why they are doing this. They have The Crew 2, which is basically the first game on steroids, minus the hilarious Fast & Furious like storyline.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@av_gamer: Keeping a server in place forever is expensive and gets more expensive and difficult over time as the technology gets more out of date and hade to maintain. Obviously if a company goes out of business it can't do this (though Ubisoft clearly isn't) but even if they don't it's not necessarily feasible long term. It might be more feasible now with Virtual Machines but there are still security vulnerabilities to be dealt with and other issues. At some point you're just spending a bunch of money to maintain a server that very few people are using.

And there's a Crew 3 now.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wish this game had a patch to be played offline for players to relive their fun memories or those never played it before.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.