Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System was the second home console released by Nintendo.

Just got a Super NT and it’s pretty great - looking for game recommendations I guess

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sparkysanxion

So.....I bought a 4K tv last year mainly to connect my PS4 pro to, and its cool, but, it doesn’t have a scart socket, which means if I wanted to connect my SNES up, I would have to use composite video (and who wants that really)

So I decided to get a super nt. It’s really great. I have a small ish collection of games (pal and some super famicom) and they look and play great.

Not sure if it’s becuase of less latency than emulation, or the placebo effect, or just cos I’ve spent money and feel like I should be playing more....but...these games feel better than they have in years.

Played Castlevania 4 for a bit yesterday, and got further than I ever had before for example.

Anyways, I also bought myself an SD2SNES. If you haven’t been keeping up with that stuff, they recently added super fx and sa1 support.

Anyone got any recommendations for lesser known SNES games that are still fun to play.

I’ve checked out a few things Imhave never played before over the last couple of days.

Marvelous - a Zelda like thing that seems like it might be pretty cool

Astro go go - a weird mode 7 racer type thing

F1 roc ii - I have the first game on a SF cart, but never played the follow up

So yeah, chuck your recommendations at me....the more obscure the better :)

MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are all super famicom games with good fan translations

Live A Live- It is a Jrpg, 7 main characters including a robot, ninja, prowrestler, and an old west gunslinger. You play thru all 7 stories then the game brings them together.

Gunple: Gunman’s Proof- Zelda with guns. You play as a kid who teams up with an alien cop (he takes control of the kid's body but not in an evil way) to stop evil aliens.

Front Mission: Gun Hazard: It is a fun, kinda in-depth side scrolling shooter.

From the snes side I like Soul Blazer, Pocky and Rocky 1 & 2, and The King of Dragons

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Secret of Mana

Various Street Fighter 2 ports

Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Shadowrun

Saturday Night Slammasters

...SNES Final Fight is kinda a bummer...

Flashback

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Seconding Soul Blazer, Shadowrun, and Legend of the Mystical Ninja; those games are all great. Not all of these are obscure depending on your definition, but here are some of my picks that haven't been mentioned yet:

xwillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zombies ate the/(my?) neighbors

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Soul Blazer indeed.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mvp1101 said:

These are all super famicom games with good fan translations

This.

I don't know if we should be endorsing hack ROMs in GB forums, but considering they're translations of 25 year old games games that were never sold outside of Japan in the first place... eh. These all work on the SD2SNES:

• The translation and "96Mbit" hack for Star Ocean
    • Der Langrisser
    • Dragon Quest V
    • Seisen no Keifu (Fire Emblem 4)
    • Seiken Densetsu 3

If the OP is in North America and has never played Terranigma, definitely check that out too. Runs fine on the Super Nt in PAL mode.

The one game I REALLY want is Tengai Makyou Zero (Far East of Eden). There's a good translation available, but the special chip it requires was only used by three games so I doubt anyone will ever bother to add it SD2SNES.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks so much everybody for the recommendations. I've had a snes since sometime in 1992, so feels like I have played (or at least heard of) most stuff. But deffo a few new things on me here.

I tried Soul Blazer last night, not sure it's my cup of tea so far. Only around 10 mins in though, so will keep going for a bit at least.

Actraiser is one of my all time faves...have deffo finished that at some point in my past, but always worth a play.

Am going to give Mystical Ninja a go again. I deffo had it back in the day (it's long since been traded in) and never really got too far in it.

I saw a video of Zero4 Champ RR yesterday and it looked great, so deffo one to try.

I like the sound of Live a Live, so that's on my card now :)

Also, I tried the Gunple game on my SNES mini (using the trademarked Giant Bomb Dark Business), and played through the 1st dungeon, but then didn't save before I turned it off, which sucks. So might be time to try that again.

Thanks again to everyone for giving me some recommendations. After all these years, it feels harder to find stuff I don't already know about.

As a side note, I've played a couple of hours of Marvellous now (using the translation patch) and it seems pretty neat. Although I get the impression the multiple character splitting gameplay might start to annoy me soon. but if you haven't played it before (I'd deffo never heard of it till last week) it feels like a good one to give a go.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.