Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Odyssey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's favorite plumber and his new hat-shaped companion travel far beyond the Mushroom Kingdom in this Switch-exclusive 3D platformer.

Darker Side Rage (500+ Moons Spoilers)

davedwtho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm raging hard enough at the first part of the Darker Side to want to make my first forum post about it. Don't think I had any problems beating any level except for the first moon escape, but this part with the fucking swinging bars and the lava is making me mad.

I know (hope?) it'll be worth it, but it's really throwing off my this-is-the-best-game-of-all-time momentum.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through that for about 3 hours with a couple friends, passing the controller back and forth between runs. It felt so good to finally win.

buffaloseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I found that section so hard until I went chasing some other stars and came across some special stages that forced me to learn a few new techniques. Once I did, heading back to Darker Side made a lot more sense and, while still an intense challenge, it was much more "doable" and felt less cheap and more challenging.

That said, it's still a brutal gauntlet of Mario platforming challenges that require near-perfect precision. Felt great once I finally beat it, though!

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Took me many, many tries but beating it feels good, man.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

I don't think it's really "worth it" if you expect a big surprise out of finishing it. I enjoyed what's there but don't expect something big. The satisfaction comes from beating the thing itself.

Also if the first part is enough to frustrate you... I dunno, it gets worse. It's doable, I'm sure with some practice you can do it, but don't be afraid to go do something else elsewhere in the game if you're too frustrated.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By frustratedlnc

Turn on assist mode

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I absolutely loathed the darker side of the moon level. Must have tried it a few dozen times before just giving up and seeing what the rest of it was like and what happened at the end. Would not have been worth it had I finished it. The most interesting part that was in there is the rolling metal waves section, which is the only time while playing that Odyssey where game strongly emphasized maintaining a rhythm and I was kinda disappointed that it only showed up in one other part of the game.

BigWookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BigWookie

It's not THAT bad - just keep at it. The section you refer to is just about getting the timing down: the third from last bar does not drop in to the lava, so camp here and only swing when the last 2 re-appear. Some more general tips: (1) def. run past the initial section with the goombas and the floating hat thing - do not attempt to fight them, it's not worth it; (2) some sections have a hidden health heart in them (see behind bottom of tower in lava pool you land in from cannon flight for an example); (3) get the additional life hearts at the half-way point by answering the sphinx (he's off to the left during the travelling flower path section). It is tough, but I also recommend trying to get most of the other moons in the game first - learning the skills required to beat some of these will definitely stand you in good-stead for the challenges in the darker side.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd recommend watching a video so you know what's coming. It's a long-ass level with no checkpoints and it overall just kinda sucks, so dying because you didn't fully grasp what you needed to do for one section of the level and having to restart the whole thing feels really awful.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was going fucking CRAZY, ended up throwing on assist mode, and then miraculously never fell and only got hit twice....but its still in my head that I'm a dirty cheat and will never look Mario in the eyes again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.