Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 23, 2010

The first Mario sequel in over 15 years to appear on the same console as its predecessor, Mario is back in the galactic platforming game, joined by Yoshi as he explores additional planets with new mechanics, power-ups, and boss battles.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 on Wii U is Broken

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I downloaded all three of the Wii releases, and SMG2 is busted. The motion controls just aren't solid. For example, when pointing at a menu button, it'll flicker "on and off", or when aiming a projectile or the reticle to collect star bits, it'll glitch around and cause me to miss what I'm aiming for often. I tested this against the other Wii releases on Wii U and neither of them have the same problem. I also put in Super Mario Galaxy for Wii, and it doesn't do it.

Am I the only one with this issue? I know it isn't my setup, because I tested it extensively with other games and the same conditions and couldn't get another game to behave that way.

MaestroRedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't know if its the game or not.

Have you tried contacting Nintendo Tech support? 1-800-255-3700. I had an issue with my wii u a couple weeks back and they were really good to me.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't have any problem myself. The pointer works well with that game like any other for me.

Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
    chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@mbradley1992: Try experimenting with the sensitivity of the Wii Remote in the Wii U system settings. I know you said other games work fine, but this will help to eliminate your hardware setup as the culprit.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Same thing happened to me, but it was because of a shiny surface. I never had any problems with it after that.

Are you using motion control plus? I doubt that'd be it either, but Mario Galaxy didn't utilize it.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I tried messing with the sensitivity, and it didn't have an effect. It's not a movement issue, it's a glitchy issue. Imagine facing forward with Yoshi, and then aiming a projectile to Mario's left. It will jitter between where you're aiming to the left and the forward facing default direction intermittently. I tried multiple remotes, with and without MotionPlus with no new results. I really don't think it is my hardware. Also, the game isn't installed on an external hard drive. I might try deleting and redownloading tonight. But it makes many parts of the game almost unplayable because aiming star bits or Yoshi projectile and things is nearly impossible. Waggle stuff still works fine, too.

Weird that others haven't had this problem. I'm stumped.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

That usually only happens because you have a bright light near the sensor bar, like a window or a lamp. Remember, the Wii remote is a camera, and looks for the 2 IR lights on the sensor bar; when there is a 3rd or 4th light, it has to decode which pair of lights to follow, so it flickers between them.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, it sounds like the game is probably running fine, your Wii remotes probably work fine, but just something about your room is throwing off the Wii remote's IR sensor and it can't get a steady lock on what it thinks the sensor bar is. Like Kinect, this is one of those voodoo magic things where sometimes it's really hard to tell why the sensor just hates the lighting in your room. So yeah, as other people are saying, I suspect there is some sort of light source or reflective surface or something that is throwing off a point of light that competes with the sensor bar, and that is making your Wii remote confused about where the sensor bar is and how it is oriented.

I mean, it's weird that it's only happening in that game and seemingly not in other games, but if the pointer is jumping around and not staying in a consistent location, it's usually some weird light issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.