Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter

Franchise »

Capcom's Street Fighter franchise became popular with the release of Street Fighter II, and has gone on to become one of the company's most beloved franchises.

What are your top 5 Street Fighter games?

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

Like the question in last week's bombcast said. I was gonna do a poll, but there are just too many Street Fighter games.

Mine are:

1. Street Fighter V
    2. Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike Online Edition
    3. Street Fighter 2 The World Warriors
    4. Super Street Fighter 4
    5. Street Fighter Alpha 3 UPPER

I presume everyone's gonna have a story about why their specific games are what they ended up with, and I'd like to hear everyone else's. That's more interesting than just a plain list.

In my case, World Warriors was my first. I used to visit my neighbor all the time to play at his house when I was like six years old. I bought a used SNES much later and played it on that, too. At the time I only liked Blanka and Chun-Li, and was a big fan of Ken and Guile's stages and music, but with enough time and nostalgia I just love every melody and every character in that game. When I was around 13, I ordered the GBA versions of Alpha 3 and Super Turbo. It was an awful way to play those games, and I didn't have too much fun with them, but it was my first time seeing all the Alpha characters.

I got a 360 in something like 2011 and played a little Street Fighter 4 here and there, but honestly I never liked playing it that much. It was cool seeing everyone in 3d, and it was still Street Fighter, but I wasn't a fan of how it looked or sounded or even moved for that matter. A few years later, I tried Iron Galaxy's port of 3rd Strike, and that's an awesome game. Best animations I've seen in a fighting game, just feels great and responsive to play. I'd play it weekly with my flatmate for years during college, him always using Ibuki and I using either Chun-Li or Makoto. Street Fighter V, as broken a first year as it's been, is the deepest I've gotten into any of these games. I feel like it's a choice I need to defend, so here goes: I actually use the online features a ton, I enjoy the new mechanics, and I can still get my college mate on for matches a couple of nights a week. I really like how it looks and feels, and their remixes of classic stages and songs and their new characters are mostly cool instead of mostly blegh.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting - To me, it's the purest distillation of SF2, with the speed to make it really fun. It's where Ken and Ryu really started to diverge from being clones of each other. I know everyone loves Super Turbo, but Hyper Fighting is where its at for me.
    2. SF3: Third Strike - The Beautiful Game. I still love watching high level play of this game. The sprite work and animation is so good. I never got good with the parry system myself.
    3. Super Street Fighter IV - I find the entirety of SFIV to be amazingly well balanced, and I liked the focus attack system a lot. I was forever in a character crisis in this game though. I liked to play too many characters and could never settle on one long term.
    4. Street Fighter EX + Alpha - Specifically, the playstation port. I was really into all the new characters and its where I first fell in love with combo mission modes in fighting games.
    5. Street Fighter Alpha 2 - I definitely prefer this to Alpha 3. There's something really elegant to the design, and I like the new styles they gave the characters, specifically for Ken and Chun-Li. If I had one thing to change though, it would be that Alpha Counters can't kill.
    GiroMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

1. Capcom vs. SNK 2 - This was my go to Street Fighter game for the PS2 era, still play it now and again with friends.

2. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - The reason I bought a Dreamcast and an Xbox, we didn't get it on PS2 in the UK.

3. Street Fighter Alpha 3 - My go to Street Fighter game from the PS1 era. I wish they would do a modern Alpha collection with online play.

4. Street Fighter II: Turbo - The SNES port is still one or the best home versions of Street Fighter in my opinion. It just feels so good to play.

5. Ultra Street Fighter IV - The ultimate version of the game that saw the re-birth of fighting games.

I should add Street Fighter V really. I think the fighting game at its core is so good I could cry, just the game built around it needs a lot of work.

Here's a video of my Street Fighter collection pre SFV...

Loading Video...
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By s-a-n-JR

1. Ultra Street Fighter IV - I started to get "serious" about playing fighting games around the launch of USF4. I.e. learning about the meta, matchups etc, rather than just doing whatever the hell I wanted.

2. Capcom vs SNK 2 - nuff said.

3. Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha - D.Dark, let's gooooo

4. Street Fighter V - This game is great, this game is garbage, this game is great, this game is garbage, this game is...

5. Street Fighter II' : Special Champion Edition - First Street Fighter game, first fighting game.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Super Turbo

2. 3S

3. Alpha 2

4. SF4 (and its revisions)

5. CvS2 (I prefer watching over playing though)

Coryukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

1. Super Street Fighter IV - I really liked SSFIV. I played that version of the game a lot. It was the first fighting game I became serious about, reaching A rank as Ryu and Guy.

2. Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix - This game reintroduced me to fighting games. I hadn't played fighting games since having my Genesis when I was a kid. But I played this one a lot with friends in college and it made me like fighting games a lot.

3. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - I've never put a lot of time into this game, but I love watching other people who are good at this game.

4. Street Fighter V - I really enjoy the core of what SFV is and I've enjoyed playing local casual matches. I like the way it feels and plays more than I did SSFIV even. But the launch was so troubled and it just didn't seem like there was that same sort of excitement around V that there was around IV's release. I'd like to go back to it at some point.

5. Street Fighter II: Champion Edition - This was my first ever fighting game. I really liked playing this with my friends and brother.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I don't think any of my reasons are particularly complex, I tend to just like the games that have a lot of characters in them. So...

1. Alpha 3
    2. Ultra IV
    3. 3rd Strike
    4. Capcom vs. SNK 2
    5. Puzzle Fighter - yeah, puzzle game, but it's still one of my favorites. I'd rather play this than any version of SF2 these days.
    Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

1. Street Fighter V - I know, I know; it's by no stretch the "best" Street Fighter ever made. Though I do believe the core gameplay might in fact be better than it has ever been before. Unfortunately, it still has a bunch of issues, though far less so than at it's release. That said, there hasn't been a single, other fighting game in near-on 3 decades worth of life that has grabbed me in the way this game has. I still regularly watch tournaments, and continue to strive to improve. It is one of my favourite games of all time, honestly; I just.. Wish it would love me in the way that I love it. One day, though, one beautiful day, I think it just might.

2. Third Strike - Them parries, man.

3. Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Probably THE Street Fighter game for a lot of people. For me, it was my very first one. I was never all that good at it when I consider the larger SF landscape, but boy, did I ever play the living crap out of my GBA version. After Soul Calibur, it was THE fighting game none of my friends could touch me at. Unlike Tekken, where I was free.

4. Street Fighter IV (And its many, many, many versions) - Look, we complain about DLC in most games these days; but I honestly think SFIV might be one of the worst offenders in gaming history between charging a LOT of money for each yearly "upgrade", ontop of character colours and costumes and so on. It's a hell of a game despite all that, and watching tournaments for this might have been what finally pushed me into taking SFV seriously upon its release.

5. Hyper Street Fighter 2 - Played quite a bit of this on the Xbox back in the day. For me, it was probably the first very time I felt a genuine sense of nostalgia for a game. Which isn't to say that there weren't many older games I revisited. I just happened to do so a lot more frequently. It had been a while since I thought about Street Fighter by the time I picked this up, and it lead to me convincing my friends at the time to pick up a copy as well.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Alpha 3

Alpha 2

IV

II

The Movie?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT
    1. Street Fighter V
    2. Street Fighter Alpha 3
    3. Street Fighter IV
    4. Street Fighter II
    5. Pocket Fighter
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Street Fighter II

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Street Fighter EX2

Street Fighter EX2

Broken_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Broken_Fingers

SF4 > 3S > Alpha 2 > CvS2 > ST

Not trying to sound like an elitist nob but to those who keep saying the core game of SFV is the best SF has ever been, what level are you playing at? I'm Ultra Platinum and i find the game to be full of some of the worst design and balance decisions in a mainline SF game ever. It has next to no defensive options and is almost a constant high damage up close pressure guessing game.

Mage_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mage_

1. Street fighter 2

2. Street fighter 4

3. Street fighter 3

DAS IT

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    2. Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
    3. Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    4. Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
    5. Street Fighter II

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on what you mean with "top". Best, most important, or my personal favourites.

If you go by most important it's probably:

1. Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
    2. Super Street Fighter II Turbo / Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge
    3. Street Fighter IV
    4. Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3
    5. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting that nobody has had 3s as their number one yet. I'd say it's mine, followed by ST. After that, I'm less sure.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@broken_fingers said:

Not trying to sound like an elitist nob but to those who keep saying the core game of SFV is the best SF has ever been, what level are you playing at?

The dizzying heights of Ultra Bronze! Granted, I wasn't the one making the quote about the gameplay. I have zero expertise to judge it by. But I was one of those putting it at the top of my list.

@hassun said:

Depends on what you mean with "top". Best, most important, or my personal favourites.

I was trying to get at your favorites.

Here's a video of my Street Fighter collection pre SFV...

That's AMAZING!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

1. Street Fighter 2

2. Others

No idea why CVS2 counts but that game's really good. Third Strike and SFIV are the most watchable but I bet ST would be more interesting to watch than either if it was played more. SFV is boring to play but fun to watch most of the time (aside from like Balrog/Ibuki that are just fun to play though now despised). The 2 hours I spend with new characters is generally pretty fun, then back to watching. SFV has helped my execution in general in KoF and Guilty Gear (and possibly had the inverse effect on NRS) so it can't be all that bad.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redhotchilimist: If I were going by personal favourites it would probably be:

1. Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3
    2. Super Street Figther IV
    3. Ultra Street Fighter IV
    4. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    5. Street Fighter V

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nefarious_Al
    1. ST
    2. CvS2 (If we are counting that)
    3. Alpha 2
    4. 3S
    5. Super Street Fighter 4

SFV is an ok fighting game at best and a bad Street Fighter game unworthy of the being a numbered SF game.

Gyratyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not good at fighting games, but I like them. These are my personal favorites.

1. SFV

2. Third Strike

3. Alpha 3

4. Super Turbo

5. SSFIV

pg77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

These are the titles that I have played the most:

• Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
    • Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD
    • Capcom vs SNK2
    • Super Street Fighter 4
    • Street Fighter EX2 Plus

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.