Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stellaris

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released May 09, 2016

A sci-fi grand strategy game set in a procedurally generated universe from the creators of Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis.

Utopia is out now (also free Banks 1.5 update)! What do people think of it?

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey All! So on Thursday, the first major DLC just launched for Stellaris, called Utopia. This update focuses more on better customization of your empire through something akin to the culture track from the Civilization games, using a new resource called "unity." Also, in the free update, they have revamped how factions work. No longer just obstacles, they are now political parties that, if catered to, allow you to produce more influence.

I for one really like this new update, as it makes for even better stories, and drastically improves the midgame, as not only do you have to deal with outside threats, but you also have to make sure that your factions are appeased.

What does everybody else think?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

So does the free update the Utopia DLC or are the two separate?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hayt

The free update with changes to ethics and stuff is free. DLC changes aren't. This page covers the changrs in huge detail.

I am yet to do a run with the free changes but am very excited too. The changes to food are very interesting to my bugman cannibals (slaves can have the trait delicious).

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked up all the dlc when it popped up on steam, started a new campaign. The unity stuff is pretty neat

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OurSin_360

Eh, i got the last dlc and it didn't make the mid game interesting enough. Honestly, i just dont like how sectors are done at all.

I will pass until its cheaper

benjaminkicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: To be fair, Leviathans was just a "story content pack" or whatever. Utopia is the first real expansion, and is much more significant than Leviathans was.

The nice thing is that you don't have to buy the DLC to try out a lot of the new features, because a lot comes in the free update that launched alongside Utopia. I think this new content does a lot to flesh out the mid-game, with a new faction system to make interacting with your pops more engaging, and the unity/traditions system helping you shape the path of your empire.

I recommend downloading the new patch, playing a little and see if you like the new systems. If you're satisfied, great, no cost to you. But if you want even more, like the ability to unlock Ascension Perks and construct Megastructures, or to play as a hive mind, then you can think about picking up Utopia as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.