Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

"EA boss: SWTOR 'absolutely going to embrace' free model"

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NathanStack
    viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By viking_funeral

News about this is growing by the day. Just yesterday it was 'a possibility.'

Curious how this will play out.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By deathstriker666

No surprise here

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#4  Edited By Kidavenger

I know a lot of people see going to a free to play model as a sign of failure(and it probably is, definitely in this case) but I think especially in this case and also for Tera Online, it may have been the plan all along. It's not something that you can talk about if you want to sell those $60 retail boxes and I think these companies are just squeezing every last drop out of the retail market before they switch over.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SamStrife

As someone who bought this on launch but never got around to renewing my subscription...I honestly can't tell you how this makes me feel.

On one hand I'll be able to play the game again for free and continue on my adventures and enjoy it like I did when I got it...on the other hand smething like this irks me in ways I can't explain.

I've already bought Guild Wars 2 though and judging by the beta, there's no reason that won't be my go to MMO for years to come.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By Hector

How about some Mac support!! Grrrr...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By TheHT

yay! my patience may have paid off.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Jayzilla

The OP also should also note that the writer of that article hacked that quote to death from Ricitello. Sure, it sounds as if they are heading that direction, but it's nowhere near the phase of them already having a team put together to put them in F2P.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By excast

Hopefully this puts an end to the "Hay gaiz, lets make another generic WoW clone MMO and try to swindle $15 a month out of gullible people." business model.

I really feel sorry for the folks making the Elder Scrolls MMO.  It must be terrifying to put years into something and then watch the market crumble before your very eyes.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Grimluck343

@Kidavenger said:

I know a lot of people see going to a free to play model as a sign of failure(and it probably is, definitely in this case) but I think especially in this case and also for Tera Online, it may have been the plan all along. It's not something that you can talk about if you want to sell those $60 retail boxes and I think these companies are just squeezing every last drop out of the retail market before they switch over.

It may have been the plan from the beginning but I think they waited way too long. They've already merged 90% of servers and laid off a chunk of their staff (including their community manager, one of the few people who acted as the voice of the players to Bioware). I think the business model of launching pay to play to milk all of the money out of early adopters, and once that money runs dry, then you switch to free to play, is a business model doomed to fail.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Toxeia

@TheHT said:

yay! my patience may have paid off.

If it wasn't worth buying when it wasn't going to be free, it's not going to be worth the time once it is :(

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cornbredx

He's speaking in terms of the future due to the way MMOs are going they will have to, at some point, go free to play, or give some kind of free play time or something. He did not say it is going to be Free to Play anytime soon.

But you know, that's cool. If we imply they did that means that's what they said, right? haha

I'm not saying it wont either, the whole article is ambiguous.

"We're going to be in the business from a long-term standpoint so absolutely we're going to embrace free access, free trial, ultimately some day we can move in and embrace that model," he tells the website. Gibeau also stresses that EA is "really proud of Star Wars" and "really excited about the launch."
    He stops short of sounding the death-knell for the subscription model, though. "I don't think subscriptions ever go away, but when you have an IP as broad as Star Wars, we're definitely going to look at opportunities to grow that business and look at different ways of bringing customers in and serving them," he says.
    Rohay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Rohay

played beta got 3 months then i became broke due to comic con tickets so if it becomes free2play ill be happy its a great game and i like the direction they went with it but iv never been a fan of raids and what not o well.

now just make an Old republic movie cause id pay to see it if it made like the cinematic trailers might even see it twice haha

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By killacam

so... would this make it worth my time? or should i remain away from all things mmo. i like star wars...

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmilingPig

Soon mmo's will pay players to play their game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Hector said:

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Patman99

This game is totally worth the $60 you pay for the box. It gets a little harder to recommend when there is a subscription tied to it but it is still an enjoyable experience. I am just sad if it does go down this F2P route as I am both a huge Star Wars and Bioware fan. I was really hoping this could be the next great MMO. Rather it just shows me how much story telling matters in games and just how well Bioware does it. The main quest lines in the game are absolutely top notch and deserve to be seen by people.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jack268

EA are gonna get bought by Nexon and their games turned into Korean F2P grind simulators 

You heard it here first

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Jimbo
    @killacam said:

so... would this make it worth my time? or should i remain away from all things mmo. i like star wars...

If a game isn't worth your money it almost certainly isn't worth your time (excluding kids and unemployed people).
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous

Hey guys, guess how they're embracing it? Free unlimited trial/demo up to level 15, just like they announced at E3. This quote has been taken incredibly out of context by blogs/news outlets wanting to stir shit up.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By TheKing

@Irvandus said:

@Hector said:

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By stinky

@TheKing said:

@Irvandus said:

@Hector said:

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NathanStack

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.