Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Bioware job listing further hints at microtransactions for SWTOR

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Edited By mike

Further confirmation of the rumored microtransaction-based fee structure for SWTOR was recently posted on Electronic Arts' careers page.  In the listing for the Customer Service Director position at Bioware Austin, one of the key qualifications is to have "online gaming with micro transaction experise."  It looks like this is just more proof that the upcoming Star Wars MMO will be at least partially microtransaction-based.  It remains to be seen what the fee structure for this highly anticipated game will be and whether it will be fully or just partially microtransaction-based, but as a major Star Wars geek, I still can't wait to play it.

Ryan discussed the possibility of EA's upcoming MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic being microtransaction-based in his 1-900-THE-FRCE article posted back in December.  Here are the key points from his writeup:

According to EA CEO John Riccitiello, the Old Republic publisher is considering a microtransaction-based model for the upcoming Star Wars MMO, though no further specifics were given. Based on what I've seen of The Old Republic's colorful, somewhat cartoony art style, I've had a sneaking suspicion that they were going more casual than the usual MMO, and an incremental pricing model like this would support such a theory. EA PR has since chalked up these quotes as a “misunderstanding,” though I'm not sure how one misinterprets a quote like this.

Other initiatives we've announced, for example [the] Star Wars online MMO, are mid-session games which are microtransaction-based. You'll be hearing more about those in the February [conference] call.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mike

Further confirmation of the rumored microtransaction-based fee structure for SWTOR was recently posted on Electronic Arts' careers page.  In the listing for the Customer Service Director position at Bioware Austin, one of the key qualifications is to have "online gaming with micro transaction experise."  It looks like this is just more proof that the upcoming Star Wars MMO will be at least partially microtransaction-based.  It remains to be seen what the fee structure for this highly anticipated game will be and whether it will be fully or just partially microtransaction-based, but as a major Star Wars geek, I still can't wait to play it.

Ryan discussed the possibility of EA's upcoming MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic being microtransaction-based in his 1-900-THE-FRCE article posted back in December.  Here are the key points from his writeup:

According to EA CEO John Riccitiello, the Old Republic publisher is considering a microtransaction-based model for the upcoming Star Wars MMO, though no further specifics were given. Based on what I've seen of The Old Republic's colorful, somewhat cartoony art style, I've had a sneaking suspicion that they were going more casual than the usual MMO, and an incremental pricing model like this would support such a theory. EA PR has since chalked up these quotes as a “misunderstanding,” though I'm not sure how one misinterprets a quote like this.

Other initiatives we've announced, for example [the] Star Wars online MMO, are mid-session games which are microtransaction-based. You'll be hearing more about those in the February [conference] call.
    evadwolrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By evadwolrab

Micro-transactions are the way forward. Free games, and I can donate to the cause if and when I like. Same as iPhone games, they're so cheap you buy them by the bucketload. Big releases on disc will be dwindled down to high-quality games as more devs move into the downloadable/free game space.

You'll see. You'll all see!

TG_SOLID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TG_SOLID

Eh, I don't like microtransfucktions, especially when they are rented, and I don't know if the weapon I'm buying is as totally pwn as I think it is... I don't know, I like paying up front then playing around. It's like getting a swingset, but then you have to pay for each swing.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mike

I'm probably going to be OK with it either way as long as EA doesn't make the pricing too ridiculous...which they are quite likely to do, I guess.  We'll see.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

I won't have a problem with this if they are mostly for cosmetic features etc. Buy a lightsaber, gun, clothes, xp-boost...as long as I don't have to pay for anything that is needed to advance through the story I'll be happy. I really hope they deliver on giving us a great story in an MMO.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Tylea002

I don't like Micro Transactions, they break the MMO economy. Once you're in the MMO, the chances *Ishould* be equal for who has the best gear etc. You should earn gear and other exclusives with in game rewards or money. Though if it made the rest of the game free (No subscription), suppose its a fair sacrifice. However, buying good guns in real money is not the way you should be going in games.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By KindGalaxy

Micro Transactions are the only way I'll play another MMO besides WoW. I'm not about to subscribe to another MMO for $14.95 a month, and I won't leave WoW for another MMO after having spent 4 years with a social group playing WoW. Micro Transactions give me the option to play another MMO, and probably sink more money into it if it offers faster XP for $2 for 48 hours or similar, I'll pay that and grind up faster, whilst maintaining my WoW sub.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By mracoon

If that means the game is free then I'm all for it.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Hexpane

Why are the graphics for SWTOR *worse* than KOTOR II?  Absolutely horrible and disappointing

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mike

I think the graphics look fine.  I don't know, I'm more concerned with how fun the game is going to be.  It's still up in the air at this point.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm not a fan of microtransaction, it separates the user base.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Pibo47

Fuck this game i want KOTOR 3. Actually i just want ME2.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mike

Thought this was worth a bump since there was another thread talking about pricing today.

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

Bummer, players having an advantage because they have money rather than skill = fail.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By maxszy
    MB said:
    "I'm probably going to be OK with it either way as long as EA doesn't make the pricing too ridiculous...which they are quite likely to do, I guess.  We'll see."
    This is key.

I would also say it depends how it is implemented. But being the Star Wars geek that I am, I will probably suck it up and do it no matter what. I just hope the micro-transactions are not things that let people get ahead. Like getting xp 2x faster or 5x faster if you pay more money. I hope that they will either be just their large updates to the game, or things that only do some cosmetic things. More outfits, things like that. I was huge tailor whore though in SWG so that may be bad for me...but as long as it doesn't affect the core gameplay (and I think BioWare is smart about this) it should be alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.