Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Split/Second

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Split/Second is an arcade racing game by developer Black Rock Studio. The game takes place in a made-for-TV city designed for destruction.

Split/Second Demo - Let's Talk

CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By CowboyBebopper

OK, so I've been pretty excited about this game for a while now. Disney Interactive had a good game on their hands with Pure (IMO) and I figured this would be fantastic considering the delays for the game were apparently only due to polishing issues.

After playing the demo I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. I would attribute this to the demo only being a single player affair. I would probably only play this online with friends to be honest. The gameplay feels pretty solid, drifting is a breeze and triggering the takedown events is easy enough to do. Playing against a computer A.I. though...just feels underwhelming. I'm hoping that the thrill of the game comes when human players/friends are added into the mix.

VERY nice lighting effects in the tunnel or so I thought.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to attach this to the Split/Second forum...don't know how to correct that.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

I think I'd rather buy a $5 copy of PGR4 off of Amazon.

CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CowboyBebopper

PGR never did anything for me. I'm a big fan of car combat but now I'm thinking I'd be better off sticking to Burnout Paradise.

CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CowboyBebopper

Anyone know how to move this into the Split/Second forum? Or does anyone else want to weigh in on this?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

It's a bit stiff but it's fun.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sil3n7

Just doesn't seem to me like the full game will have the depth to warrant a $60 price...

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By xMP44x

TBH I don't think there was enough content shown in the demo. You get some AI, and you get a car. Hooray for destruction and all that, but at the same time: it's a weak game from what I've seen. It feels a little like Blur, but instead of grabbing powerups you simply drift. And you really only drift, because drafting behind an opponent takes so long to open up a bar of Power Play action. Not only this, it never feels like the win is based on skill, and merely on luck. If you dominate the race all match and you don't drift everywhere you'll probably get Power Played by someone who simply sat drifting the entire time they could. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I am saying it left me underwhelmed.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By trace

Not having multiplayer in the demo was an insanely bad move. This is exactly the kind of game where players need to experience unpredictable action with other humans to be sold on the concept. Now I'm almost wondering if they're afraid to show off the multiplayer the general public.

I like the explosions and reality show atmosphere and all, but I hope this was the slowest class of cars in the game. The race in the demo just felt dreadfully sluggish to me, and that's quite a shame, since a little more speed would go a long way towards selling me on Split/Second. As it stands, I've had F-Class races in Forza 3 that felt faster.

Underwhelmed sums it up nicely. I'm hoping it's just a bad demo, but this certainly fell well below Blur on the "to-buy" list very quickly.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bennyishere

Both Blur and Split/Second seem like rushed games that don't have enough content in them, and it's especially unfortunate that the S/S demo is so short. At the end it says there are 25 cars and 72 events in the game. That's not impressive at all, but it does seem like the events are more varied, like one that is an homage to Terminator 2. I liked the Burnout 3 feel I got from the demo, but again, it's just one race. The Blur Beta was fun, but considering it's a fresh IP I am getting the feeling this is just a test before a proper game, BLUR 2, comes out. It didn't seem like they had CTF or any other modes that were not simply Mario Kart with cars, which I feel is a huge missed opportunity.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By sarahsdad

I've had fun the few times I've played it so far. I'm a bit torn on whether I like that it's an overall simpler game than Blur, with it's multiple modes, power-ups, etc. 
    Mentioned this in another thread, but I wish that the demo had more to it; maybe a night race, a different class of car, or a bit of MP.

CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CowboyBebopper

I'm going to move my reservation of the title away to something else now. I might just pick up Burnout Paradise again. 

I never thought that the demo track was a T2 homage. I may have to load the demo back up to see it.

Atlantus_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Atlantus_Air

I was underwhelmed by the demo so I'm planning on renting it or buying it at discount a couple months from now.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By DrPockets000

I had fun with the demo, and some really cool shit happened, but I certainly wasn't blown away by the game itself.  I feel like they concentrated on spectacle over gameplay, and I fear it will end up a generic racing game in a shiny wrapper.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Jayross

In terms of demos, Blur's wins because it is multiplayer. Split/second just didn't feel as action packed as blur because of the AI opponents. 

I also didn't really 'feel' the destruction triggered stuff... I thought Blur's powerups required more skills and timing.

CMxDean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CMxDean

I really enjoyed the demo, I was a huge fan of the Burnout games but was disappointed with Paradise, the sand box city racing was no were near as fun as 'proper tracks' and Split Second reminded me of the older Burnout games. I've not played Blur yet but I'll have to check it out.

Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Spam101
    @CMxDean said:
    " I really enjoyed the demo, I was a huge fan of the Burnout games but was disappointed with Paradise, the sand box city racing was no were near as fun as 'proper tracks' and Split Second reminded me of the older Burnout games. I've not played Blur yet but I'll have to check it out. "
    Paradise ruined burnout for me to0. There is basically no cornering in the game. driving way too fast in straight lines. Real tracks + Real corners = win.

Split second brought me back to burnout 3 days when it was at it's best.
    CMxDean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CMxDean
    @Spam101 said:
    " @CMxDean said:
    " I really enjoyed the demo, I was a huge fan of the Burnout games but was disappointed with Paradise, the sand box city racing was no were near as fun as 'proper tracks' and Split Second reminded me of the older Burnout games. I've not played Blur yet but I'll have to check it out. "
    Paradise ruined burnout for me to0. There is basically no cornering in the game. driving way too fast in straight lines. Real tracks + Real corners = win.  Split second brought me back to burnout 3 days when it was at it's best. "
    Yeah exactly, nothing better than drifting round long sweeping corners etc 

I played the Blur demo last night and the online multi player was real good, power ups were good, tracks were good the levelling up system was addictive, only thing I'd say Split Second has over it going off the demos is better visuals and car handling.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By swamplord666

The full game itself is pretty entertaining tbh. I played the campaign start to finish (focus testing) and they ramp up the difficulty at a good enough pace that you don't breeze through every single race. Also there are quite a few other game modes that are available. I only played online for a couple hours but what I played with the other testers was alot of fun! Funny thing was we didn't all have the same preferred modes.  
    Although it's your choice, I'd say you would be wrong to write off the game based on only the demo :)

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By swamplord666

Also If you want to have a look at survival mode, here it is.  This is the "homage" to T2 :)

CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CowboyBebopper

I actually found S/S on Amazon.com for 45 bucks, that coupled with a $20 gift card I had made it a steal. I figure if I don't like it I can at least trade it in for that amount quickly. So what I'm asking is...who wants to play when I get it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.