Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Roguelike

Concept »

Roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing games characterized by the exploration of randomly-generated dungeons and permanent death. These characteristics were featured in the classic computer game Rogue, hence the term "Roguelike".

Help me pick a Roguelike!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Poll Help me pick a Roguelike! (95 votes)

Dead Cells 53%
    Heat Signature 11%
    Cogmind 3%
    See results! 34%

I've been holding on to my PUBG Gamescom Invitational crates for as long as possible and saw them spike in price over the last few days. I was able to sell 3 of them and make about £16 for my troubles, so I thought I should give Rougelikes another try with my free money.

I've tried Roguelikes in the past, but both Binding of Isaac and Spelunky failed to grab me at all and I fell off them very quickly. Of the three games above, which should I try? They are all about the same price so I'm looking for some opinions from people who have played them! Thanks in advance.

• 
    FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm sorry I haven't played any of the above but I recommend Rogue Legacy as a starting point.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: Thank you for the recommendation! I think I have Rogue Legacy on PS4 maybe? I played a few runs but I don't think I beat the first boss. Another Roguelike that I fell off of!

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Dead Cells looks great! I'm waiting for it to come out of early access but by all accounts it's really good.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stackboy: Indeed, I've had my eye on it for a while. It seems like the perfect game for the Switch though, so I'm hesitant to pick it up on PC. In fact, at this point I want most indie games on my Switch.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Dead Cells is fantastic. As someone that generally doesn't like roguelikes all that much, it's easily my favorite one. It's just so satisfying mechanically, that I really don't mind replaying stuff over and over.

Not neccessarily a roguelike, but Darkest Dungeon is great too. I think it's one of the most well realized versions of the xcom permadeath squad idea. Xcom is great too when it isnt glitching out.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zeg

Heat Signature is the only one I'm slightly familiar with, and I haven't even played it yet. My slight worry of it might be a question of just how much content and variance there is, but I haven't really been paying much attention since early in development so maybe it's just a holdover in my mind from seeing that.

And to clutter up this thread with more stuff that isn't in the poll, have you considered Enter the Gungeon? It's pretty similar to Isaac in concept so maybe it's already out of contention. But Gungeon is much more like a dual stick shooter than Isaac, and has much less reliance on memorising a bunch of items and combos to build effective runs.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely give Binding of Isaac Rebirth and Rogue Legacy another shot. Out of the poll options, I went with Dead Cells - only one I've played.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed7db3f7c897
    deactivated-5ed7db3f7c897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure about the above but Darkest Dungeon, FTL & Rogue Legacy are probably my favourite. All dirt cheap too

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd not heard of Cogmind! I greatly enjoyed Dead Cells, but I'd recommend either Vanilla Bagel a Roguelike or AuroraRL other it, just due to the more classic style.

The true answer is finding Castle of The Winds on Archive.ORG or giving VGAminer a shot.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

If you haven't played Faster Than Light, you definitely need to. It's still my favourite roguelike.

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

haven't played any of the suggestions in the poll but I'd personally go for Nuclear Throne instead.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeg: Ah yes, I've seen Jeff (or was it Alex...) play Enter The Gungeon on a few streams, UPF or the like, but it didn't catch my eye. Thanks for the suggestion though!

@ben_h: Oh yes! I actually did play FTL, didn't ever beat it but have a few hours in it. I did actually enjoy that one, maybe I'll try it again.

@slasktotten: You've made me realise I've never actually looked at gameplay for Nuclear Throne. In my head I always replaced it with Enter The Gungeon as I somehow thought they were the same game...

Thanks for all the other posts too, looks like Dead Cells is indeed super popular (not that I'm surprised!)

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Cells is pretty great. So thats my vote.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galak-Z?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I’ve only played Heat Signature, but I’m not sure how much depth and variety there is. It is like a Hotline Miami, although Hotline’s combat is just better. It is incredibly neat and all that, but doing dozens of jobs doesn’t seem like it will hold up over time.

Maybe try Dead Cells? That game looks neat.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Flinthook looks nice at least although I’ve heard the gameplay can get a bit repetitive. My vote is for Dead Cells but it IS unfinished still so that’s like a tentative vote.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Hang on, Flinthook is out? I saw it doing the rounds on Twitter, it does look neat for sure.

Yeah, I'm leaning Dead Cells for now, but damn if it wouldn't be the perfect Switch game. Free is free though!

Seeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I haven't played any of those, though of the three I'd personally lean towards Dead Cells. As far as roguelikes I have played though I would definitely recommend looking into one called Monolith.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: Hasn’t it..been out for a while now? The game about the space pirate with the white bag on his head and the hook gimmick??

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Turns out it has! I never realised, I guess I assumed the tweets I saw were WIP shots. Or they were a while ago. Either way, reviews don't seem super positive.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: I've played a decent amount of Dead Cells over the past few months, but I also recommend Rogue Legacy.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NetHack

Or Heat Signature, that game is pretty cool. Kind of on the easy side (once you start to figure out how stuff works and how things can be pretty much exploited), but still a lot of fun.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: it’s another case of a beautiful art style being the victim of procedural generation that crushes any charm through repetition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.