Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Respawn Entertainment

Company »

Formed by ex-Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella, Respawn Entertainment is a game development company owned by EA.

Do you want more Titanfall or more Respawn?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you want more Titanfall or more Respawn? (90 votes)

New Titanfall Game 36%
    New Respawn Game 50%
    14%

Titanfall is definitely one of the best shooters this generation had to offer and in my opinion the most intense one, due to how fast the game is and where it feels that every second in an online match counts. Unfortunately, the franchise wasn't successful -sales wise- as in its first game it was an early console exclusive and was priced at 60$ despite it being a multiplayer-only game. Respawn listened to the fans and delivered a critically acclaimed campaign mode on the sequel and developed it on all platforms but sales weren't good due to the timing of the release date.

Now, since Titanfall 2 is almost a one year old, i started thinking if EA is willing to take the risk and release a new Titanfall game. From my experience with EA, i think that they will probably demand a new ip from Respawn.

This is where the topic came to mind because both options are welcome in my opinion! I would like to see what new takes that the great minds at Respawn could bring to the industry while still feeling attached to their franchise and wanting to see more of it.

• 
    DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're doing a star wars game next, but I'll check out whatever they do.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danishingact said:

I think they're doing a star wars game next, but I'll check out whatever they do.

Oh, i have forgotten about that.

I'm not a fan of Star Wars but i'm looking forward to see the Star Wars universe from their perspective.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm up for a new Titanfall game, though I'm not sure if we'll get one. Batting zero out of two so far in terms of sales numbers is a bad place to be in, though a case could be made for the second one being screwed by its release date window.

Personally, I've never really enjoyed the multiplayer. It took me two months after release to get time for Titanfall and the multiplayer matchmaker did a consistently good job of putting me in random pugs against coordinated teams (probably because there were so few people playing it by then)... which quickly soured me on the experience. The skill ceiling is very high in Titanfall because of all the mech loadouts and traversal mechanics, and it's even higher in Titanfall 2 thanks to all the new mechs that each have their own roles and team abilities. The ever-growing complexity that fans love has made jumping into the game as a new player an increasingly miserable experience, and that certainly isn't helped by both of this franchise's games having very low player populations consisting of hardcore aficionados.

Frankly, I didn't even bother with the multiplayer in Titanfall 2 and bought it solely for the single player campaign, which was fine. I didn't find it mind-blowing in the least, but that's because I've played the past eight or so Call of Duty single player campaigns and this is, frankly, another one of those with giant, grungy gundams. *shrug* The enemy faction is so cartoonish and laughably evil that it makes Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare's space fascists seem nuanced, and I found being a mech slow, ponderous, and dull. Every time I had to get into that suit, I felt like I was being punished instead of rewarded. "Now you get to slowly trudge forward, shooting stuff with a big cannon and paying close attention to your shields. It's like Halo, but if Master Chief had a bad limp."

But I had my fun. I'd buy another for its campaign, just like I have for the Call of Duty campaigns. Just please don't launch Titanfall 3 during a crowded release window, because with a multiplayer I'll never touch and a singleplayer that I'll play once and be done with... it's very low on ye olde priority list, both for me and apparently the general public at large.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really, really liked Titanfall 2 except for the Titan part. During Multiplayer I would be the only guy running around with his mech on autopilot, the parkour in that game (especially with the hook) was just too much fun. I'm confident whatever Respawn makes in the future, be it Titanfall 3 or another IP would be a quality AAA game. Hopefully Titanfall 2 sales don't scare EA away, because Respawn and Dice are the best they've got atm

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got zero interest in anything multiplayer that isn't Battlefield, so I haven't bothered to check out Titanfall (though I wouldn't mind playing through TF2's campaign someday). I think it's a super talented team though, so I would be curious to see what else they could come up with even if it probably won't be something I can really sink my teeth into.

jimothyjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jimothyjim

@plop1920 said:

I really, really liked Titanfall 2 except for the Titan part.

Same, it's not that I didn't like them as such, just I enjoyed running around as pilot way more. As for multiplayer, that game was way out of my skill level so I didn't even try. I'm not really big on competitive FPS' these days and add in the insane movement skill ceiling and it wasn't going to be my thing. So yeah, Titanfall was a great game, but not one I personally want to see a third of, even though I enjoyed a lot of the single player.

I have no interest in the Star Wars universe so that unannounced game they're on now is going to have to be pretty damn good mechanically. I'm not sure what it 'll be though They probably don't want to compete with Battlefront as a shooter, that'd be weird, so I guess it'll be a force game? An RPG would be a pretty sudden shift in direction so probably not that. They're good at movement so my completely speculative theory is a super agile Jedi focused game, then have a Coop multiplayer mode because, you know, you need multiplayer for microtransactions these days.

If they weren't working on that game I'd hope for a straight-up sci sci-shooter. Whatever they do, I hope it goes well. They deserved more out of Titanfall 2.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

As a big fan of the second Titanfall, I voted for a third. With that said, though, I don't care. After Titanfall 2, As long as it has multiplayer, I'll buy anything Respawn cares to release. Their support of their game after release has been literally second to none. I can't think of another developer that has offered more free add-on content to a retail game.

Speaking of which, a trailer for the newest DLC will be released tomorrow.

@lazyimperial said:

I'm up for a new Titanfall game, though I'm not sure if we'll get one. Batting zero out of two so far in terms of sales numbers is a bad place to be in, though a case could be made for the second one being screwed by its release date window.

Personally, I've never really enjoyed the multiplayer. It took me two months after release to get time for Titanfall and the multiplayer matchmaker did a consistently good job of putting me in random pugs against coordinated teams (probably because there were so few people playing it by then)... which quickly soured me on the experience. The skill ceiling is very high in Titanfall because of all the mech loadouts and traversal mechanics, and it's even higher in Titanfall 2 thanks to all the new mechs that each have their own roles and team abilities. The ever-growing complexity that fans love has made jumping into the game as a new player an increasingly miserable experience, and that certainly isn't helped by both of this franchise's games having very low player populations consisting of hardcore aficionados.

Up until just a month or so ago, getting into games was very easy. Now it can take a couple minutes sometimes, which is probably due largely to the release of the Frontier Defense co-op horde mode. The positive of that is Frontier Defense makes it easier than ever for new players to become familiar with the game, especially Titan use.

But yeah, like almost any multiplayer game, you show up six months to a year after release, you're going to get stepped on for a while. At least now there's a way to learn the game without getting repeatedly killed by veteran players.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Both? OG Titanfall is still awesome (and active!) Titanfall 2 (from what I played of it) seemed to iterate on it pretty well and fixed a few of the complaints people had with the first.

I feel like the franchise got the shaft with both games. LOTS of people were eager to shit on all things Xbox when OG Titanfall came out, and having no single player and being 900p was what people gleefully latched onto to do so. Few seemed to want/care to acknowledge that it was one of the best-playing shooters in years with some fairly unique mechanics that other shooters would later xerox and would be insufferably lauded for doing so. (sigh)

With Titanfall 2 being a multiplat, it had much more of a chance to really catch on, and it found somewhat of a following, but it never stood a chance of being a sales darling with the idiotic release window they tossed it in. Whoever decided it needed to compete with not only the other Holiday games, but EAs own flagship shooter needs to be fired, if they haven't been already.

So now we may our may not get a Titanfall 3, which is a shame. Whatever happens, I hope the Respawn team stays mostly together, because their products are solid and quite arguably underappreciated due largely to external factors. I hope they get their due someday.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I'm going to buy anything Respawn puts out at this point, so I'll take more of both.

acertaindeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I'd like to see them continue the Titanfall story, especially since the setup in TF2 was way more successful then the first. But ultimately I'd want to see them branch out and not exhaust the series. Take a couple years to develop something smaller than come back to it when it makes sense to put out a 3rd game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.