Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

In the third game in Insomniac's Resistance franchise, you will play as Joseph Capelli, murderer of previous protagonist Nathan Hale, as he journeys across the Chimera-controlled United States.

So the demo didn't really get me excited.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Vonocourt

Well, I kind liked the look of the menus. But once you select your difficulty level you see a cutscene with Capelli and the doctor guy walking away from a giant beam of blue light(it's been a while since I've played a resistance game), and they take up stock on a boat. Once the player gains control you're greeted with a thrilling...two-three minute boat ride. Nothing much happens here besides hearing some radio chatter about people, so during this time I was able to noticed that the default controls are exactly like Call of Duty, checked out the return of the weapon wheel, and noticed that I don't like the new gun models. Either Capelli is a dwarf compared to Hale, or both the humans and the Chimera thought it was necessary to make their guns super huge and blocky metal messes since R2. The shooting felt largely the same from R2, though the carbine is now fires in burst which kind of felt clunky to me for some reason, much preferred using the shotgun or the bullseye(which has a cool ADS).

So yeah, after a while of just kind of letting the scenery run past me, the good doctor brings the boat to some flooded motel where the first enemy contact is introduced, the Grimms. They start spitting at you and occasionally jumping on the ship, but it wasn't hard to keep them off with the shotgun. Keeping in mind the boat is constantly moving forward during this and the targets enter in on the right of the screen and leave on the left. If it wasn't for the fact that the med packs are about five feet from the ammo crate, the demo could've been completed entirely without moving your character. So it's only so far from being a on-rails section.

Once all the grimms exit stage left, you get another super scripted sequence where you come across some drones zapping some...shit. The doctor tells you that we must be careful so they don't notice us. So I stand still. They notice us, I shoot them. The boat ride continues. Another minute standing still, but actually followed by something interesting. Some new chimera called Longlegs showed up. Definitely the coolest part of the demo, these chimera take potshots at your boat as they jump from the flooded rubble of one house to another, a few landing on your boat. Too bad this sequence ends, and you run into a goliath. Guess what you do here. You stand still in hope that the goliath won't notice you. When the time comes to slip by, the doctor encounters convenient engine troubles and oops, the goliath noticed you. Shoot some drones, stand there as the boat moves away from the goliath. Demo over.

Maybe this section of gameplay will work better when it's wedged into the full game. A change of pace from some run-and-gun action, but taken alone it's a frustratingly slow plod through two rather standard firefights.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By the8bitNacho

I enjoyed the original for what it is, but I never picked up Resistance 2, and to be entirely honest with you Resistance 3 failed to impress with what was showcased at E3 last week. It looks pretty rough. But it's always pretty lame when something you have been looking forward to fails to draw you in, so I will just say that it sucks that you didn't enjoy it as much as you could have.

It is certainly possible, as you've said, that the portion of gameplay offered within the demo feels disjointed from the rest of the experience because, well, it is. That's a problem that can't really be fixed until the full game releases. Perhaps it was just a poor selection to launch into public hands. I have always felt that developers are sort of bad about knowing which sections of their games to put into the hands of their consumers before the product hits retail.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By coakroach

I got some fun out of Resistance 2... but nah 
    The series is squandered potential

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By asurastrike

I feel like Insomniac doesn't really care about the Resistance series anymore. I mean, did you see the E3 stage demo? Terrible.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Vonocourt

I didn't see the E3 demo, but I've heard it looked iffy. And yeah, it's starting to look like this was just a b-team production.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.