Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

In the third game in Insomniac's Resistance franchise, you will play as Joseph Capelli, murderer of previous protagonist Nathan Hale, as he journeys across the Chimera-controlled United States.

New Multiplayer/Coop Details! 16 player MP down from 60 + SP coop

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Brought to us via GDC, one of the staples of a great Resistance game, the multiplayer, is explained to us. It's looking to be a stark departure from previous games, however, only limited to 16 player matchs, focusing more on ''individual'' fights rather than the grand scale military skirmishes that the previous multiplayer offered. In addition, they'll now introduce new abilities, passive and active, to unlock as you go up the levels, as well as in game abilities should you get enough kills... In other words, it's essentially becoming yet another Call of Duty mimic. 

Perks, kill streaks and a significantly lowered player count. That's not to say it'll be bad, but it's certainly looking a lot more generic with its overhaul. Some of the action abilities you can unlock do look to be really impressive, though, such as one that can look to teleport you a few feet ahead. Weapon upgrades are here too, though I don't know if he means attachments, or if your own weapons will gain EXP the more use them. Also no health regeneration, that which we already knew for single player, is now confirmed here too. 

The toughest blow from this interview is learning that the eight player coop mode, which was easily the greatest part of R2 and what helped it stand it out, is now ripped completely. The alternative? They've now refurbished the coop strictly in the single player, similar to the original Resistance, allowing both online and off. That's all well and good, but I just hope the 2nd player may in fact take up the role of a meaningful character, instead of the mysterious black man who was never to be seen or acknowledged throughout the campaign. It made for some fun theories back in the day, but in 2011 it'd be nothing short of laziness.  

As for the glaring omission of an eight player objective based cooperative mode... Fuck!
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By beargirl1

no 8 player co op? that was the only thing that made me play Resistance 2 online. i didn't find the 60 player competitive online to be much fun.  
    man, what a bummer.  

edit: the multiplayer looks pretty fun though

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yummylee
    @AjayRaz said:
    " no 8 player co op? that was the only thing that made me play Resistance 2 online. i didn't find the 60 player competitive online to be much fun.  man, what a bummer.  "
    I was a fan of the whole package, but the eight player coop was definitely the shining highlight amongst it all. My confidence towards R3 has now taken a swift turn downwards. =/
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By RobotHamster

It's a bummer that they took out the 8 player coop but hopefully the rest of the game great and make up for it.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Liminality
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @AjayRaz said:
    " no 8 player co op? that was the only thing that made me play Resistance 2 online. i didn't find the 60 player competitive online to be much fun.  man, what a bummer.  "
    I was a fan of the whole package, but the eight player coop was definitely the shining highlight amongst it all. My confidence towards R3 has now taken a swift turn downwards. =/ "
    I was really excited for it but when I played it I thought it was boring.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By yinstarrunner

I've never played Resistance, but you make it seem like its being pretty dumbed down.  Sorry to all the fans, I feel your pain! :(

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By N7

I thought the multiplayer sucked pretty hard. The co-op was amazing though. I totally support this decision. I thought the MP was total chaos and that brought the fun out of it for me.

I'm cautious, but optimistic.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yummylee

Here's another multiplayer video that shows off the multiplayer in a clear fashion, without cut backs to the interview.

..As generic as I called it off, there's still no doubt this doesn't look incredibly fun and hard hitting! Watch it to the end to preview a new weapon for the series!
    Avatar image for deactivated-62001d97f34e0
    deactivated-62001d97f34e0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man cant wait, really starting to get exited for the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.