Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rare, Ltd.

Company »

Rare Ltd. is an English game developer based in Leicestershire founded in 1982. After many years of being partnered with Nintendo, the studio was acquired by Microsoft in 2002.

Rare is better than this stupid Natal.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By big_jon

I really am sad to hear that this may be all they do for now on. What a wasted talent.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By raiz265

more threads about rare pls :S

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

Them's the breaks, but honestly Rare lost its luster as a prime developer a long time ago.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By CoolDrMoney

If anyone in the Microsoft Game Studios stable can sell me on Natal, it's Rare.

That said, I still want traditionally controlled games from them as well.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Whisperkill

I fucking loved The new BK 

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda
    @Whisperkill said:
    " I fucking loved The new BK 

"
    I agree. Burger King is awesome.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Whisperkill
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " @Whisperkill said:

"
    I agree. Burger King is awesome. "
    quite quite. Nice sax by the way
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

I wish Rare was still with Nintendo.   :(

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

Yeah, they are better then this stupid thing I've never tried before, nor have seen any real games being used with it!

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aus_azn
    Since they left Nintendo's ownership, they've never been the same. It's a darned shame. The original PD and Goldeneye, DK and the like. What a shame, what a shame.
    Jeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffrey

Natal is just a new controller, its not replacing the Xbox360 controller, and Rare will most likely still make games for 360 as well as Natal supported games.   
    Not that I'm a big Rare fan, PDZ was crap. anyway its amazing how many people think Natal is going to completely replace the Xbox360 Controller. 

Anyway continue with your raging and somewhat pointless hating, I'm sure a troll with smell this forum soon enough. 

Eywa Ngahu, Oe Lu Hu Skxawng    

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Whisperkill said:
    " @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " @Whisperkill said:

"
    quite quite. Nice sax by the way "
    I hate you.
    bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bravetoaster

I hope they give the players the option to play certain titles on either the Natal or traditional controller. It's cool seeing video games evolve but I don't want to play using the Natal

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187
    @Hailinel: By "prime", you mean they weren't being super big macho motherfuckers and instead took their time to make incredible games like Viva Pinata 1 & 2, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, and a full remake of Perfect Dark for the Xbox 360 marketplace...and they happened to also get pressured into making Perfect Dark Zero...which at launch was a decent game.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Hailinel: By "prime", you mean they weren't being super big macho motherfuckers and instead took their time to make incredible games like Viva Pinata 1 & 2, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, and a full remake of Perfect Dark for the Xbox 360 marketplace...and they happened to also get pressured into making Perfect Dark Zero...which at launch was a decent game. "
    Don't forget Grabbed by the Ghoulies, or the Conker remake that really wasn't all that much of an improvement.  Or the fact that it took them until the 360 to finally get Kameo out the door when that was originally planned as a GameCube game before that console even launched.
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By hinderk
    @Hailinel: I agree that they are past their prime, but they still make damn good games. Both Banjo Kazooie: N&B and Viva Pinata, are one of my favorite games of this generation.

The only thing that pisses me off about Rare making Natal games, is that they had to scrap a Kameo sequel they were working on too develop games for Natal.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Whisperkill
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    " @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " @Whisperkill said:

"
    quite quite. Nice sax by the way "
    I hate you. "
    you looked quite happy to be there
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
    @Hailinel: Grabbed by the Ghoulies was something that they themselves said was a bad game.  The Conker remake may not have been much of an "update", but it doesn't mean the game was bad either.  As a matter of fact, that game happened to show that it was able to go through two generations of consoles and still hold up.  As for Kameo, GameCube and 360 weren't that far apart from each other.  To top that off, Rare got bought out by Microsoft along the way, so yes...let's blame RARE for Kameo (which also wasn't a shitty game, but it wasn't a mind-blowing extravaganza). 

Hey, while we're at it...let's bring up the fact that Rare was basically FORCED to live off of crap Banjo tie-ins because of the lack of sales found in Banjo-Tooie...as the N64 was at the end of its life span? 

Rare has put up with a LOT of bullshit in the gaming industry, and ESPECIALLY the idea that they don't make good games simply because they don't look all super fucking macho and features guns.  Personally, GoldenEye sucked...and people need to realize the ONLY thing that game contributed to the world of gaming was a four-player split-screen option in a genre that was basically reserved for PC at that point. 

Am I personally pissed that they might have to focus on Natal games instead of giving me Killer Instinct 3?  Yeah, but then again, they are just another one of the companies that gets jerked around all the time. 

Also...Battletoads!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @jakob187:   I never said Rare can't make good games anymore.  Only that the fantasy of them being able to turn anything into gold shattered a long time ago.
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I think it's too early to crap all over Natal. The last time we saw it was at E3 last year and for all we know it has improved greatly since then.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Feser
    @Jeffrey:
    What is the Canada-nese that you speak?  
    K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By K0rN

Why are you guys acting like if Rare was still with Nintendo they would still magically be a prime developer?
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Andorski

I still think Natal looks pretty cool.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187
    @Hailinel said:
    " Them's the breaks, but honestly Rare lost its luster as a prime developer a long time ago. "
    Saying this...doesn't exactly sound like "they make good games".
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By xyzygy

Rare recently created a new studio, have you guys not heard? I'm guessing this new studio is going to be devoted to Natal.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheGremp

In my opinion, Rare has the best chance of not screwing this up than any other developer.  I'm excited to see what they do with this.

Gertso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gertso

Remember when Rare could do no wrong in just about every genre.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28  Edited By the8bitNacho

Yeah, it's been over for Rare for quite some time, and if they themselves haven't realized it, then they're delusional.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kyreo
    @Hailinel said:
    " Them's the breaks, but honestly Rare lost its luster as a prime developer a long time ago. "
    Word.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Saying this...doesn't exactly sound like "they make good games". "
    It only means that they aren't what they once were.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By grilledcheez

I like how you're all shitting on Rare when Banjo: Nuts and Bolts was one of the best 360 games released.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Claude

Sounds good to me. I like motion controls. I'm looking forward to seeing what Natal brings to the table. Rare might start having fun again.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel
    @GrilledCheez01 said:
    " I like how you're all shitting on Rare when Banjo: Nuts and Bolts was one of the best 360 games released. "
    That sentiment isn't universal.  For all the praise it received, it also received some scathing criticism back when it was released.  I can't say for one way or another since I haven't played it myself, but given some of the views I've heard on it, I'd pause before placing it among the best.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By grilledcheez
    @Hailinel said:
    " @GrilledCheez01 said:
    " I like how you're all shitting on Rare when Banjo: Nuts and Bolts was one of the best 360 games released. "
    That sentiment isn't universal.  For all the praise it received, it also received some scathing criticism back when it was released.  I can't say for one way or another since I haven't played it myself, but given some of the views I've heard on it, I'd pause before placing it among the best. "
    Of course it received criticism, it was a departure from what the franchise was built upon...many nostalgic gamers fear change much like Republicans do.  The game was gorgeous, played great, and revived a great franchise.  I'm not pausing for anybody.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel
    @GrilledCheez01 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @GrilledCheez01 said:
    That sentiment isn't universal.  For all the praise it received, it also received some scathing criticism back when it was released.  I can't say for one way or another since I haven't played it myself, but given some of the views I've heard on it, I'd pause before placing it among the best. "
    Of course it received criticism, it was a departure from what the franchise was built upon...many nostalgic gamers fear change much like Republicans do.  The game was gorgeous, played great, and revived a great franchise.  I'm not pausing for anybody. "
    It's not that it wasn't a platformer, it's that the mechanics it was built upon had flaws that not everyone was able to overlook.
    watkinzez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By watkinzez
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Hailinel: Grabbed by the Ghoulies was something that they themselves said was a bad game."
    Rare has said nothing of the sort. Why would they spread such lies?
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Synthballs

Why no love for the BK and BT XBLA Ports?! :(

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xyzygy
    @Hailinel said:

" @GrilledCheez01 said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @GrilledCheez01 said:
    Of course it received criticism, it was a departure from what the franchise was built upon...many nostalgic gamers fear change much like Republicans do.  The game was gorgeous, played great, and revived a great franchise.  I'm not pausing for anybody. "
    It's not that it wasn't a platformer, it's that the mechanics it was built upon had flaws that not everyone was able to overlook. "
    I think that's inevitable when creating a game that's a hybrid between to genres that are so different. I mean I've never heard of a game (besides nuts and bolts) that is a platformer where the goal is to find parts for your car, which you then build, upgrade and race, all still in a platforming world. With that game, Rare were pioneers in terms of bringing those two genres together (If I'm not mistaken?) so of course there would be criticism and of course some fans of Banjo Kazooie would not like because it's not the same old game they were expecting. 

@Synthballs said:

" Why no love for the BK and BT XBLA Ports?! :( "

Don't forget about Perfect Dark, which is coming out very very soon :D I think Rare is still an amazing company. The only thing they're missing, for me, is Donkey Kong but it's understandable how they can't make a new DK game seeing as Nintendo owns them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.