Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Psychonauts

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 19, 2005

Developed by Double Fine Productions, Psychonauts is a platforming action-adventure game in which players take on the role of Razputin, a young psychic out to thwart an evil plot to subvert the minds of other powerful psychics.

Tim Schafer's Many Design Prequels

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure

I MAY have a chance to play the XBox version of Psychonauts in the near future.  I'm looking forward to the chance.  Ever since I learned that a lot of the games I liked from Lucasarts were all masterminded by the same dude, I've begun to understand the whole Psychonauts obsession people have.

I played the demo for the PC a month or two ago...  I think...  and barring control difficulties I enjoyed the style of it.  The only thing that bugged me was that it seemed like money endlessly generated around the little camp where you start, which to me seems like an odd design choice since that means you can basically obsessively collect money and buy everything.  Maybe the stuff you buy isn't that big a deal though, so collecting a bunch just helps the game from stalling when you need recuperative items or whatever.

Whatever you may think of Brutal Legend, the guy's got a good list of games behind him-- The short but sweet Full Throttle and the excellent Grim Fandango spring to mind.  So I'm pretty sure I'm in for a treat...  assuming I get it :)

If not there's always buying it straight from the company store, but that will cost me...  nearly a hundred dollars, all told.  Not too keen on that if I can avoid it.  Should I get the game, if anyone's interested in hearing what I have to say (in the same way that I'm interested in hearing what people who saw Star Wars for the first time think of it), let me know.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I MAY have a chance to play the XBox version of Psychonauts in the near future.  I'm looking forward to the chance.  Ever since I learned that a lot of the games I liked from Lucasarts were all masterminded by the same dude, I've begun to understand the whole Psychonauts obsession people have.

I played the demo for the PC a month or two ago...  I think...  and barring control difficulties I enjoyed the style of it.  The only thing that bugged me was that it seemed like money endlessly generated around the little camp where you start, which to me seems like an odd design choice since that means you can basically obsessively collect money and buy everything.  Maybe the stuff you buy isn't that big a deal though, so collecting a bunch just helps the game from stalling when you need recuperative items or whatever.

Whatever you may think of Brutal Legend, the guy's got a good list of games behind him-- The short but sweet Full Throttle and the excellent Grim Fandango spring to mind.  So I'm pretty sure I'm in for a treat...  assuming I get it :)

If not there's always buying it straight from the company store, but that will cost me...  nearly a hundred dollars, all told.  Not too keen on that if I can avoid it.  Should I get the game, if anyone's interested in hearing what I have to say (in the same way that I'm interested in hearing what people who saw Star Wars for the first time think of it), let me know.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I played the demo of Psychonauts on the PC. I used a dual analog gamepad and still didn't like it. I never found the appeal for this game. Alas, I never bought it.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @Claude said:
    " I played the demo of Psychonauts on the PC. I used a dual analog gamepad and still didn't like it. I never found the appeal for this game. Alas, I never bought it. "
    There's something wrong with you.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " @Claude said:
    " I played the demo of Psychonauts on the PC. I used a dual analog gamepad and still didn't like it. I never found the appeal for this game. Alas, I never bought it. "
    There's something wrong with you. "
    I didn't like it, maybe because the demo was played on the PC and not a console. I don't know, the demo left me kind of like... yeah, no. Actually, I never finished the demo. I got bored with it and didn't care anymore. It's been long deleted.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Claude: I got frustrated at a certain point, because I felt like I wasn't getting how to do one of the platforming elements.  I did feel a bit empty, too, when I realized that I could pretty much encapsulate the game as a platformer, but I think the completist in me would enjoy trying to explore the environment to try to find every little bit of hidden things there are.  

No worries about not liking it, though.  There are plenty of things I don't like that run against popular opinion :)
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mhkjtha
    @Claude said:
    "I played the demo of Psychonauts on the PC. I used a dual analog gamepad and still didn't like it. I never found the appeal for this game. Alas, I never bought it. "

the demo wasnt very good.
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Insectecutor
    @Claude said:
    " @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " @Claude said:
    There's something wrong with you. "
    I didn't like it, maybe because the demo was played on the PC and not a console. I don't know, the demo left me kind of like... yeah, no. Actually, I never finished the demo. I got bored with it and didn't care anymore. It's been long deleted. "
    The PC version certainly feels kinda console porty. I guess you go through Coach Oleander's mind in the demo which is just a tutorial, the game does take some time to get rolling. I remember giving up on it at first and picking it up again when I had nothing else to play and now it's one of my favourite games as far as concept and story goes. The platforming mechanics could be better and some of the inventory stuff is kinda annoying (having to swap constantly between items) but those flaws are easily overlooked when you see minds like The Milkman's.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Insectecutor: I guess that's why I didn't give up looking for it; I felt that the surreal potential of going into other people's minds made up for the slightly annoying platforming.  Good to know people confirm that's the case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.