Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Nuzlocke Run

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By NukeSpoon

Rules:  

• You can only catch the first Pokemon you find in any area (route, cave, city etc.). If you don't, sucks to be you. You can't catch any more. Even if it's one you already have.
    • If a Pokemon faints, it's dead. You have to release it.
    • Give all your Pokemon nicknames so you grow attached to them.

This makes the game a hell of a lot more interesting and challenging. And it's not unusual for Pokemon to just die due to sheer bad luck, which is just horrible when you get into it.

Pro tip: ALWAYS have Antidotes on you.

The origin of the word "Nuzlocke" can be found at www.nuzlocke.com. The guy has also done a series of hilarious comics.

I'm currently doing a FireRed run with my Squirtle called Bunk (after Bunk from The Wire). I'm at Vermillion City right now and I've lost just the one Oddish in Diglett Cave. You just don't see Magnitude 10 coming :( RIP Vinny
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

SICK  

EDIT: oh, never mind. before it was just zcxzcz or something 

Camurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Camurai

I think I'm gonna do a pearl run like that.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dbz1995
    @NukeSpoon said:
    I'm at Vermillion City right now and I've lost just the one Oddish in Diglett Cave. You just don't see Magnitude 10 coming :( RIP Vinny "
    So you could say that Vinny pulled a Brad...amirite? Anyone? Zack, you found that funny, didn't you?
    NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NukeSpoon

My beedrill Shatner has just died :(

masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By masterherocard

I tried that once. 

It didn't work out well when i got to the elite 4.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By danielkempster

My curiosity is piqued by this approach to playing. I think I'm going to have to try this out when I finally get around to playing through a third-generation game.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

Can you keep a fainted Pokémon as an HM slave?

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NukeSpoon

You need to release it.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By coakroach

Bumping since I only just discovered the concept of Nuzlocke runs a few days ago and it's got me hooked on my old Pokemon games.

I'm even considering buying a DS and Platinum to do a run without knowing anything about the world i'm going into (never played past Gen III, the GBA games).

In terms of rules i've gone with the standard fainting = death, mandatory nicknames and only being able to catch the first Pokemon encountered in each area.

Lost at least half a dozen (including my starter) in Leaf Green before I quit, Giovanni's Kangaskhan butchered my party thanks to Mega Punch and a few infuriating misses from my team. I ended up quitting around Blaine's Gym, I lost Sarah (a Fearow) to a Hyper Fang spamming Raticate in the Pokemon Mansion, she had been the first Pokemon I had caught and without her the group felt like it had lost it's soul.

Yes, it's frightening how attached you can become to these cartoon monsters in your gameboy, especially when you have to sacrifice one to save another (but then the Weezing used Selfdestruct and...oh god...Zoe......why...)

Started a new game in Emerald and have only lost two (May the Marill was entombed in rock, Steve the Slugma too slow for sonicboom) but thats probably because the newer games are generally easier and frankly... Slugma sucks.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By Icemael

I'm all for introducing some tension and challenge to Pokemon, but wouldn't you have to spend a ton of time grinding in order to see success in a run like this?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By jacksukeru

@Icemael said:

I'm all for introducing some tension and challenge to Pokemon, but wouldn't you have to spend a ton of time grinding in order to see success in a run like this?

There's a lot of grinding in Pokemon just naturally if you keep swapping out your pokemon or try to fill out the pokedex. I haven't tried one of these runs myself but I can imagine that the people who do, know somewhat what they're getting into.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.