Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 06, 2011

Pokémon Black and White are the fifth generation of Pokémon games for the Nintendo DS. Both introduce several new game play innovations to the series including a more complex battle system, fully-animated 3D models and environments, extensive online integration, and a refresh of the entire selection of Pokémon.

Considering Getting Back Into Pokemon

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Dreamfall31

I haven't played a Pokemone game since Silver. I played the HELL out of Blue, Yellow, and Silver. I've been looking for a good DS game to take up some of my time. I've gotten back in to Advance Wars and Chrono Trigger, but I've wanted another adventure that would take a while. I was wondering if I could get back into Pokemon even after a decade of not playing it? If so should I start here with Black/White, or possibly earlier DS ones...just thinking about it brings back so many childhood memories. Wish I never sold all of my cartridges when I was saving up for a GBA as a kid :(

drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By drowsap

its not to bad jumping in they use the same formula as always beat 8 gyms the fight the elite 4 and the champion but if you haven't played since silver they have been putting a lot more story in them since ruby and sapphire and the storys not to bad in this Iv been playing for about 22 hours and only have 6 badges but iv played every main series Pokemon game

razorzxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By razorzxz
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

You could easily start with Platinum and work your way up, or hey go and get Soul Silver.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I've been thinking about doing the same, actually. I haven't played Pokemon since Red/Blue, and I think I'm going to jump into Black/White.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Black/White is definitely a solid entry point. It still plays like the old games, a giant new world, all new Pokemon, and it has the best online support yet.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By EmuLeader

I love handheld rpgs, I recently got the newest golden sun, but a friend recommended black/white to me. I played so much of the all of them through crystal. In ruby i got every pokemon except 2. i put so many hours into that. So black/white seems to be the one to get?

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Kyle

I see no reason why you shouldn't start with black and white.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By GunslingerPanda

DO IT.

You could pretty much start with any game. Though there's some chronology to the games, it's not a massive deal in the individual titles. At worst, you'll miss a reference to an old character such as Cynthia. To you, she'll just be another trainer to fight. Which is fine.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Afroman269

@Kyle said:

I see no reason why you shouldn't start with black and white.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dreamfall31

Hmm...thanks forall the input. I'm considering starting with Pearl/Diamond, but I see White/Black are newer and more played. Although I'm sure I could find the older ones cheaper. Glad to se so many people here are into Pokemon, I never woulda guessed anyone was into it after the age I got out of it!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus

They're still the same game. Though if you're like me and only have nostalgia for 90's Pokemon, you might not like the new games. I got 3 badges in Diamond before shelving it. It's weird how something can be so identical, but totally just not the same.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoeyRavn

I would recommend you starting with SoulSilver and HeartGold. Story-wise, them all Pokémon follow the same basic premises. But there was a huge gameplay change in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum: moves stopped being governed by the Attack and Special Attack (and Special/Defense) based on their type and started having each one its own category. For example, in Silver, Fire Punch was a Special Attack, because Fire was Special. Now, it's based on Attack, since it's a, well, a punch. And punches tend to be very physical, AFAIK.

There is no reason for you not to pick up this new system in a matter of battles, but maybe it'll ease the process if you start with something familiar to you, like a game you have already played. Besides, if you ask me, SS and HG are the best versions.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black and White are amazing.
    I bought my 3DS with White when the 3DS came out and I'm still playing much, most pokemon look good and the few that aren't that fun can be easily ignored.
    Story and gameplay is just good fun what we expect from the franchise.
    The art style is pretty amazing but the pokemon sadly look pretty pixelated from your view,  but you can get over that.

Go for it, I didn't regret my purchase one bit.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Zippedbinders

Black or White are great starting points. Its probably my favorite generation so far. 

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By SMTDante89

Yeah, I went through the same thing earlier this year and decided to pull the trigger. It's good, and worth trying out.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dreamfall31

Thanks again to all for the positive feedback. I'll be picking up the Black version sometime this week! Super excited to be playing again!!!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By jacksukeru

I'm holding out for Gray personally, but at this rate it's gonna be a 3DS game so Black is probably a good choice if you're not planning on getting one soon.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By TehFlan

Totally get Black/White. Or HG/SS. Go play Pokemon.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seesic
    Black and White are definitely a decent point to jump in on, they have a lot of content and are good titles and are a refresh as far as pokemon goes.
    So good choice
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vexxan

Get SoulSilver or HeartGold, you will not be disappointed.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dreamfall31

@Vegsen said:

Get SoulSilver or HeartGold, you will not be disappointed.

I would...but I already played Silver back in the day. Besides I found Black for a good price on eBay!

Orange_Tory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Orange_Tory

Just as the title of this thread, I'm thinking about getting back into Pokemon. I played an insane amount of Red and Blue when I was a kid, but pretty much stopped not long after that. The trick for me is that I don't own a DS or 3DS. Therefore, an investment to dive back into Pokemon would include the cost of a new handheld console.

Would you buy a DS or 3DS? Should I start with Pearl/Diamond, Platinum, or Black/White? It's an awfully steep investment for some nostalgia, but I'm still considering it.

Question: Do the later versions include the original Pokemon, and those added in later versions, or only the newest ones for that Generation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.