Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Who has tried the PSVR and what were your impressions?

kmfrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Okay guys,

So let me make things clear. I am somebody who has never actually experienced any level of VR since the early 90s, but I am also somebody who is completely sold on the idea. I hear everybody's reservations, but I honestly don't care. For me, the experience of simply being immersed in these worlds is enough. I don't even mind using a controller instead of motion controls ala Vive.

HOWEVER, financially my position is such that I will be limited to PSVR. So what I want to know is, who on these boards has tried the PSVR, and what were your impressions. I don't need comments relating to the relative merits and weaknesses of VR as a platform in general because as I already mentioned I am already sold on the concept. I just want to know how the PSVR felt, and what it's various good/bad qualities were.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I haven't tried it myself, but this guy has. I'm pretty hyped for it.

Loading Video...

xGryfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The most important thing about VR is a stable frame rate. If PSVR can maintain a stable 90fps then it'll be fine.

While I love games with AAA level graphics I find that in VR it's not as much of an issue. I know a lot of people love their room scale stuff and say it's not VR unless it's room scale but my my favorite experience to date is Chronos. It's a solid adventure game and being immersed in the world the way you are makes it so much more enjoyable so even if the PSVR can't do as much as high end PCs I still think the experience will be quite awesome. I love the idea of playing more action adventure games in VR.

kmfrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@spaceinsomniac: Good, I'm glad somebody is! :) But yeah, I know it's not going to be as capable as the Occulus or Vive, but I think (I hope) it'll do enough things well to justify a purchase.

@xgryfter: Yeah I agree. I don't think the graphics are that important as long as the art direction is solid. Even though it's probably one of the experiences that would cause many people to just roll their eyes, I'd love something like The Unfinished Swan in VR. Just something simple that lets me go on a little adventure. And anyway, in regards graphics, wasn't Brad (albeit half in jest) saying how playing original Doom in VR was the best thing he'd done in it? He could just be damming with faint praise, but I don't know if that's necessarily true.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.