Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Has PSVR Tracking Improved?

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I was financially responsible and saved a bit each month for 6+ months to get a PSVR, so I was extra bummed when it came out along with tons of news about terrible tracking. I still have money set aside and want to get on the VR train, but was wondering if it has improved at all either through software/firmware patches or people learning how to better set it up.

Does anyone know if improvements have been made, or is it best to continue being patient before I drop 5 bills for vertigo and nausea?

XOXO <3

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Are you going to be about 6ft from the camera, at about head elevation, with no bright lights or a window behind you to flood the camera with other light sources? If so, you'll probably have a great time.

Obviously some defective units are out there, as seen in the GB footage. Most PS VR users are not finding that their units have the drift or strobing depth tracking that GB found and shared in their streams.

So no big patches to improve things, but that's because it wasn't broken for most users to start with. They might improve the tracking to get it even closer to a perfect sub-mm accuracy positional (to match the rotational fidelity) and make the guessed Move/DS4 tracking better when it leaves the areas the camera can see but so far that patch hasn't arrived yet and most games are working fine with the fidelity on offer.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@shivoa: I don't think the two headsets giant bomb got were defective. I've used 3 of these things now and all of them had the drifting issue and 2 had had the nausea inducing wobble thing. These are how the headsets are and it doesn't like that'll change.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@beefygrandmole said:

@shivoa: I don't think the two headsets giant bomb got were defective. I've used 3 of these things now and all of them had the drifting issue and 2 had had the nausea inducing wobble thing. These are how the headsets are and it doesn't like that'll change.

Did you use them in someone's house where the lighting could be controlled, or did you use them in some store setup that had TVs and store lights everywhere?

I've only used mine in controlled conditions--either no lights, or no lights in sight of the camera--and it has worked flawlessly.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b7538d20ab8
    deactivated-64b7538d20ab8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I picked up my PS VR this weekend and have had no problems with either drifting or the weird 'pulsing' effects the Duders found so far. Seems to be the same firmware they have been talking about, so I doubt it's improved software making the difference.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had it since launch and haven't had tracking problems other than the usual and understandable blocking off of the headset lights thing, which will just naturally happen sometimes when you swing your arms around

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@beefygrandmole: As the replies make clear, this is not a issue everyone has that's just part of the nature of the system.

To get depth strobing so severe it is visible on a stream feed is not just how the headset normally works. Even something far more subtle, invisible in a stream, would be vomit inducing for general use. As shown by the many happy users, that's not just how all the PS VR headsets act.

The units were broken, as shown by how none of the crew could find any condition (including at home) to get them working right.

ArcadeSage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got mine day 1 and have set it up at my house and at no less than half a dozen different friends' and family members' houses and not experienced the wobbly headset tracking issues at all.

I have had issues tracking the move controllers, but that was usually solved by repositioning the play area or camera angle.

The only word of warning I will give you is the PSVR is a gateway drug as I just purchased an HTC Vive this weekend.

mchood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think it is buggy units but setup problems, my experience on purchase was one of slight tracking issues with a quick setup. After setting up properly I was having HORRENDOUS tracking problems way worse than on the inital GB stream, almost instantaneous sickness. I spent a week and some very uncomfortable evenings working through each issue and now my experience is 100%, no tracking problems at all, no juddering, no drift and basically never have to recentre. It is worth taking the time to get your setup perfect even if it is acceptable now, having not even a hint of quiziness afterwards makes you just want to play it all the more. If anyone wants I could list all my issues and what worked and what didnt, it might help them.

hasuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hasuto

@shivoa: From what I understood they talked with Sony about it but didn't receive new headsets. They also went through *lot* of experimenting with lights and setup on camera on some of their streams. And apparently even more off stream.

I recently tried the PSVR in a quick demo. The putting on experience was pretty impressively quick but I did notice some slight wobbling when I was standing still. It wasn't too bad though and I don't think I would have noticed if I was looking around me at the time. (I was going through the Kitchen demo.) Pretty impressive performance for the price though.

Get them somewhere were you can return them if you can't get them to work is my advice.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Thanks for the info everyone! After some serious thinking and getting more input from my coworkers, I've decided to put my funds towards building an AR-15 instead, hahaha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.