Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Home

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Dec 11, 2008

PlayStation Home was a social games network where PSN users could play games and socialize. Home saw a refocus in Fall 2011 in North America and Europe that put more emphasis on games than social spaces.

Supposed to be free?

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By meptron

I thought home was supposed to be free. Why do you need to pay to get a decent stuff for your house and new clothes. That's not free... that's called "micro-transaction based". Is there any way to get any new stuff without paying for it?

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

Who ever said Home would be "free"...

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rowr

They might want some sort of return on the project.

God knows how much money they spent on it.

Buying a virtual couch sounds like a pretty shitty way to waste your money though.

People may realise that sony has always been just as guilty as microsoft at fleecing its console market.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Manachild

it has been known that that was gonna have microtransactions since shortly after it was first announced.....

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kush

I have to download all these areas again since I guess the closed beta versions aren't compatible or something. What I really want to know is...In the top left corner it says, " Based on a game rated by the ESRB - E for Everyone" ...what the hell does that even mean? Also, how can they rate an online "game"?

...and on topic, they have always talked about microtransactions, but I guess a lot of people just chose to ignore all that kind of information. This is how they will make money without charging for PSN...they give you crap like Qore and make you pay for virtual couches. I really wish they would make you pay a virtual electricy/heating/etc bill, I think that would be the greatest idea ever!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb
    Kush said:
    "I have to download all these areas again since I guess the closed beta versions aren't compatible or something. What I really want to know is...In the top left corner it says, " Based on a game rated by the ESRB - E for Everyone" ...what the hell does that even mean? Also, how can they rate an online "game"?

...and on topic, they have always talked about microtransactions, but I guess a lot of people just chose to ignore all that kind of information. This is how they will make money without charging for PSN...they give you crap like Qore and make you pay for virtual couches. I really wish they would make you pay a virtual electricy/heating/etc bill, I think that would be the greatest idea ever!"
    lol.

At the original post: the point is you don't have to buy it. If having a couch is totally your thing then, what are you complaining about?
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kush

I understand that there is no one forcing you to buy it and it's just like avatars etc...I won't mind if they give people some more free options, but right now you aren't given much choice. I'm in Home right now and I swear that over half of the males in this world are wearing the same exact shirt.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By get2sammyb
    Kush said:
    "I understand that there is no one forcing you to buy it and it's just like avatars etc...I won't mind if they give people some more free options, but right now you aren't given much choice. I'm in Home right now and I swear that over half of the males in this world are wearing the same exact shirt."
    You are true but I suppose it would be foolish to assume they won't add in new clothes over time. I mean, it's going to be the perfect opportunity for you to get a: Mountain Dew, Coca Cola, Pepsi, God Of War, Resident Evil, Red Bull, McDonalds, Burger King, etc. etc. etc. Tshirt eventually. That's the way the free clothes will go.

But I do agree choice is limited right now. It's still pretty limited in the micro-transaction stores actually.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kush

Well I think we can see all those brand t-shirts for free...I doubt we would get GoW, RE, etc shirts for free. That's the kind of stuff they know people will pay for...because people are weird.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
    Kush said:
    "Well I think we can see all those brand t-shirts for free...I doubt we would get GoW, RE, etc shirts for free. That's the kind of stuff they know people will pay for...because people are weird."
    Do you think? You not think a Resident Evil 5 shirt with a release date on the back would not be better given away free? Maybe you're right... people would be stupid enough to buy those things. Just like I bought the Street Fighter Sackman costumes. *rolls eyes*
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Manachild

thing is tho, i think sometimes dlc like the sackboy stuff that you just mentioned tends to sell due to impulse buy, i know i bought a buncha LBP stuff when it first came out lol

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By get2sammyb
    Manachild said:
    "thing is tho, i think sometimes dlc like the sackboy stuff that you just mentioned tends to sell due to impulse buy, i know i bought a buncha LBP stuff when it first came out lol"
    Anyone that denies the brilliance of the Street Fighter Sackman costumes is blind. They're absolutely brilliant... even if they did cost *inhales* £5!!!!!
    Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Manachild
    get2sammyb said:
    "Manachild said:
    "thing is tho, i think sometimes dlc like the sackboy stuff that you just mentioned tends to sell due to impulse buy, i know i bought a buncha LBP stuff when it first came out lol"
    Anyone that denies the brilliance of the Street Fighter Sackman costumes is blind. They're absolutely brilliant... even if they did cost *inhales* £5!!!!!"
    i admit to finding my shark head costume stupidly amusing and cute.... lol
    those street fighter costumes look pretty cool. But yeah that dlc is pretty pricey lol. I'm pretty sure 5 quid is like $12-15 here in australia.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kush
    get2sammyb said:
    "Do you think? You not think a Resident Evil 5 shirt with a release date on the back would not be better given away free? Maybe you're right... people would be stupid enough to buy those things. Just like I bought the Street Fighter Sackman costumes. *rolls eyes*"
    I think that a RE shirt would be the most obvious shirt that would cost money...Capcom likes money and a free shirt won't help them get any more of it. I hope it never comes to the point where we have to pay for new hair stlyes/facial hair ...those options (especially facial hair) are so limited right now.
    foxhound421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By foxhound421

i was never under the impression that there wouldn't be microtransactions in Home. of course they're going to charge you for something. why do so many people in the internet culture think that everything should be free? if you want a shirt or a big TV you pay for it, otherwise all of the important, non-cosmetic functionalities of Home are intact free of charge.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By meptron
    Kush said:
    "I understand that there is no one forcing you to buy it and it's just like avatars etc...I won't mind if they give people some more free options, but right now you aren't given much choice. I'm in Home right now and I swear that over half of the males in this world are wearing the same exact shirt."
    That's exactly it. I always expected that there would be "premium content" you would need to pay for, but there should be a descent amount of free content in addition to this.

Also to the guy who said "who ever said it would be free?", Sony has been pushing the free nature of this thing from the get go, and even Giant Bomb's entry lists the game as "free" in the summary. Microtransaction are a given, or course, but like I said above, it needs to complement a reasonable amount of free content, which is severely lacking. I've been looking forward to Home as much as anybody and I love my PS3, but I'm not going to be so blind as to ignore this kind of crap. I'm going to call it for what it is.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By PufferFiz
    Meptron said:
    "Kush said:
    That's exactly it. I always expected that there would be "premium content" you would need to pay for, but there should be a descent amount of free content in addition to this.

Also to the guy who said "who ever said it would be free?", Sony has been pushing the free nature of this thing from the get go, and even Giant Bomb's entry lists the game as "free" in the summary. Microtransaction are a given, or course, but like I said above, it needs to complement a reasonable amount of free content, which is severely lacking. I've been looking forward to Home as much as anybody and I love my PS3, but I'm not going to be so blind as to ignore this kind of crap. I'm going to call it for what it is."
    2 words
    open
    beta

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.