Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 update adds Remote Play to PC and Mac

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By zaccheus
    xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Dammit you just beat my post by a few minutes. Seems pretty interesting for this to come out the same day Microsoft is talking about their integration with Windows 10. One point I brought up in my forum post is that this appears to be the final nail in the coffin for PlayStation TV

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm assuming it's just a video feed and your controller will still be connected to your PS4

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I thought about the whole control scheme too, but yeah, it's likely what @ian280291 said. That and maybe just by connecting DS4 to your PC, I'd assume it would be recognized by the whatever software enabling Remote Play on your PC.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

As with most remote play schemes this one is depends on your own network. It seems nice, but until household systems are easier to set up and have lower controller latency they are a mere stop-gap for true "play anywhere" systems.

I think some of the "friend future" from the update might prove more useful day-to-day for gamers, or at least for those with sizable friend lists.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By thomasnash

Out of interest how does remote play for phones work with regards to shared use of a tv area? Like, can my girlfriend watch netflix on the ps4 while I remote play? I think this might be a dumb question...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Out of interest how does remote play for phones work with regards to shared use of a tv area? Like, can my girlfriend watch netflix on the ps4 while I remote play? I think this might be a dumb question...

It's not a dumb question, but, no, that doesn't work I think. Remote play means you can play your system via other screens, but the system can still only run "once".

A good example is if you a PS4 connected to a TV, and a PC in a different room. Let's say your girlfriend is watching Netflix on the TV via an AppleTV or etc. You could then play your PS4 via your PC.

Effectively, remote play changes the monitor you are looking at. That's all!

---

Anyways! for me, this is actually super exciting. This type of remote play will fit very nicely into my lifestyle.

Hey the "user scheduled" event sounds nice too! Also, finally, appear offline. For those of us who are ashamed.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently coming this week, or maybe you guys already got it today over at the US? Anyway, I'm definitely giving this a try tomorrow.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Well, I guess that means I can just throw my Playstation TV in the garbage now (not really).

samurai1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just tried the remote play on version 3.5. Running it from my mac and seems to work okay. Occasional lag when loading but I am running over wifi from both PS4 and mac.

PS4 controller hooks up over the USB cable and from what little I have played, seems like a reasonably good feature, no replacement for my big tv though.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Windows 7 support? Boo! I was actually interested in checking this out on an older computer while the TV was in use.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.