Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 hot even went its off?

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MikeydCT

I got a new ps4 slim and had it on stand by most of the day. I woke it up and turn it off so I can move it. It has been 3 hours since I turned it off and it's hot to the touch still. Is this normal and if so why?

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Rigas

how hot it hot? just warm? fry an egg hot?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It should not be hot 3 hours after being turned off. Slightly warm is one thing but not hot.

But are you sure it's off and not doing things in standby? Is it still plugged in? If you unplug it does it get cool?

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I woke it up to turn it off it was downloading a patch still (slow internet) would that keep it on? I did unplug it and 30 mins later it was room temp.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeydct said:

When I woke it up to turn it off it was downloading a patch still (slow internet) would that keep it on? I did unplug it and 30 mins later it was room temp.

Yes. Downloading a patch means that the machine is on. It's in a reduced power state and probably not using all its cores, but it's on, and that generates heat.

You might not have the greatest venting situation and you should maybe improve that (not sure what your set up is) but I wouldn't necessarily worry at this point. Sounds like it was just on doing some downloading.

Modern consoles, man. When an NES is off it's just off. Like...off.

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vents are on the sides right? it was on a folding table laying down with nothing around it.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeydct said:

vents are on the sides right? it was on a folding table laying down with nothing around it.

Hmm. Is the room hot? Is there any airflow?

Also this gets back to how hot is hot. If it was just a bit warm I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it was painful to the touch then maybe you should have it checked by a service center (though they'll probably say it's fine) or at least set up an external fan blowing on it so there's airflow in the room.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.