Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Is PS VR better than a TV?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have noticed that the PS VR has received decent sales on many gaming stores here. However, the only PS VR games that interests me right now are superhot and RE7. For that reason i thought that i might use it instead of my TV for non VR games but is this a good idea? Is VR better than my 42 inch LED TV?

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

No, it's not better than TV.

I have PSVR, and had the same thinking as yours. The resolution is just way too low, so in cinema mode, they actually looks worse and blurrier. Thus I can't stand playing (at the time, Mafia 3) using that method for more than 20 mins.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Rigas

No, No VR Headset, especially the PSVR will replace a TV right now. Even a cheap bad TV is a better viewing experience.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@sub_o: Too bad, i was really hoping to get into VR gaming.

Thank you for the heads up!

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Also, you really don't need to get into VR gaming.

Give it a couple of years. If it's still around and they're still iterating on hardware, revisit.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I've been feeling like the library has/almost gotten to the point of justifying a purchase. But at this point I would still rather upgrade my tv to 4k. On top of playing games I watch and buy enough movies that a nice big screen is worth a lot to me. PSVR is still really tempting to me though.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Not yet. One day, I could definitely see the appeal of wearing a mixed-reality or VR device instead of investing in a gigantic TV, but right now the resolution in the PSVR isn't good enough to play games like that for long stretches. It's novel for a minute, but a TV would still serve you better.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have PSVR and agree you won't want to watch TV or play normal games on it. It's cool to experience a 3D Blu-ray on, but even then I wouldn't watch a whole film that way.

In all honesty, while I enjoy my PSVR, it's an expensive novelty at the moment.

It has potential for the future, but between the fuzzy image, the nausea and the impossibility of using it when anyone else is awake in the house, it doesn't get much use from me.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By iamjohn

Hell no. Playing non-VR content on it is fine but also super inconvenient and low-res. And I say that as someone who likes PSVR and wishes I had more reasons to play it.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Oh my god no. the TV mode is neat gimmick but there are like (or were over Black Friday) $300 TVs out there that are wildly better. The TV mode, beyond that it is convenient and 'neat' is actually kind of crummy when it comes to picture quality of 2D content. Your 42 inch LED certainly looks muuuuuch nicer.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wha? No.

Literally not comparable. VR is a certain kind of experience.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I'm surprised people in this thread are so diappointed with it. I wish I could play more, but I get VR headaches after an hour or so. I wouldn't play 2D games on it, because the detail isn't great, but for Netflix and stuff, it's fine for me.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By whitegreyblack

I played most of Battlefield 1's campaign on my PSVR headset instead of my 50" plasma, and it was amazing. Won't do it for a lot of games, but it was a great experience.

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VR at this point is still for early adopters - I haven't used my headset a ton, but I've really enjoyed every moment of it (God Thumper VR digs into your soul), because it creates a sense of immersion that you don't get from a TV/darkened room etc. But they still need to iterate another generation for screens, tracking can still be wonky, and the ergonomics of the thing are key -- I have a large head and have to wear glasses all the time, and so it's a borderline fit for me. I can easily see situations where you can't find a focal distance that works.

They're still catching up on software too - but I usually find at least one new title I'm interested in every 4-6 months. Since I usually game on the PC and work full time and have a family, that rate of new content isn't a problem for me.

TL;DR - it's not a must have, but it's more than a novelty. If you have the spare cash, it's a really cool experience, and it's a really neat thing to show to friends even those who aren't into gaming - but it's not going to be your primary gaming peripheral.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I... I enjoy using my rift as a way to watch movies and tv shows. I mean, I don't do it that often anymore, but it's nice having a much bigger screen than I'd have in my house to watch stuff on occasion. Not sure how the resolution looks on Psvr, but for the rift I've never had a problem with it.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Casepb

@themanwithnoplan: Well the Oculus does have higher resolution than the PS VR, but still not nearly as sharp as any 1080p screen even. I tried watching 3D movies and what not on the Oculus and just didn't enjoy it at all, the resolution is just not there. VR is best suited for full on 3D room scale games, and of course a few seated games like Rez Infinite and a few others. Other than that, there is no reason to have that thing on your face.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@casepb said:

@themanwithnoplan: Well the Oculus does have higher resolution than the PS VR, but still not nearly as sharp as any 1080p screen even. I tried watching 3D movies and what not on the Oculus and just didn't enjoy it at all, the resolution is just not there. VR is best suited for full on 3D room scale games, and of course a few seated games like Rez Infinite and a few others. Other than that, there is no reason to have that thing on your face.

Fair enough. Resolution does have some ground to gain for Vr, but I still disagree. I regularly watch tv shows and whatnot in my rift and losing a few pixels makes little difference to me. It may not be as crisp as an hd screen, but it's far from unwatchable. (Keep in mind that I also have a 4k monitor, so the drop off in resolution is even more drastic for me when switching to the Rift)

Reading text on a web browser hurts my eyes right now, so something like Virtual desktop isn't fully there yet for me. Reading subtitles for a film or tv show is fine if the screen is big enough though. The only time I've ever tried out 3D in VR was with Rise of the tomb raider. It was... something else. Don't know if I'd ever play that way again. I'd also like to point out that millions of people were perfectly fine watching stuff on sub-hd screens for decades; remember the term Standard definition people? Watching stuff in Vr is very reminiscent of that. I'm not saying we should settle for less now, but I think it's something to consider for the time being.

Gusto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell nah, TV is still better than any VR headset. I can only use my Oculus for about 30max and then have to take it off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.