Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Is it possible to tell if you're buying a pro controller or not?

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just got back from buying a new controller, but I was looking to get a newer one, like the ones that come with a pro. Figured at this point that's all Walmart would have.

Lo and behold, when I get home, it's an old one.

Is there any way to tell if it's a new or old controller before opening the box?

ThisIsACoolTag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ThisIsACoolTag

EU boxes have the model number on the bottom, next to the barcode. It should be the same where you are?

Original DS4 pads are CUH-ZCT1 and then an additional letter is region - U for USA, J for Japan, E for Europe, etc. Newer "version 2" DS4 pads are CUH-ZCT2

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thisisacooltag Ah, I totally didn't think about model numbers. Sure enough this one says "ZCT1U". Thanks, I'll look for that when I return this one.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By lego_my_eggo

Check to see if it has a model number on the box, it should be "CUH-ZCT2" for the new model, the 2 at the end is the thing you are really looking for. The other sign, besides the obvious light bar, is that the finish on the plastic around buttons is a matte/textured finish, like the rest of the top half of the controller, rather then a glossy/shiny finish of the old controller.

Edit: beaten while browsing the web.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sinusoidal

Is the new controller an improvement in any way?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: Other then being able to connect and communicate directly over USB rather then Bluetooth, there is no functional difference, only cosmetic. Being able to see the light bar helps out a little when you have a group of people playing and you need to know who is what color, but that's it really.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: I was under the impression they improved the rubbers on the stick too?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivdamke: Yes, but i assume that was fixed even before the new model DS4 came out. I have the controller from my near launch PS4, an old model DS4 that i bought later, and the new model DS4. The launch one the rubber is falling apart, but the other two have an obviously different and thicker layer of rubber on them, and will hopefully hold up better.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikewhy

@sinusoidal: The sticks definitely feel better than the controller I was using. But this isn't actually for a PlayStation. The headphone jack on new PS4 controllers work on PC when connected over USB.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.